F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the sct sf3 on my ecoboost and put it into performance mode. I raced a 2013 v6 mustang in 4high with traction control off and locked the differential. While spooling up my turbo to 2200 rpms my rear made a huge popping noise and i chose to ingnore it and launched and won the race til 90. After the race my trcuk started to make a ticking noise then i went back into two wheeldrive. while going back the trunk started to jump around and shifted from 4th and what seeemed to be first and locked up my tires and felt like i was rear ended. So i pulled over reprogrammed it back to stock. The truck still continued to act up and even worse i could not shift into manual and the truck said it was in 4th gear and would not shift until i took my foot of the accelerator then it downshifted very harshly again till it felt like i was rear ended. Please help!!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
The only time I have experienced what you are experiencing, I had to replace the tranny. Hopefully you will have better luck.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. Seems like a risk you take with tuning though.....

Get the checkbook out BEFORE you go to the dealer buddy......

Reactions: outlaw25

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I could be wrong but I though the dealer explained that the locker was only for low speed like pulling out a boat at a slippery ramp or getting unstuck.
Having owned 4X4's all my life you did exactly what I would never do without snow or ice on the ground.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
As the others have said, you probably toasted your transmission. You are tuned, so any warranty you had on the drive train is gone. You won the race, but it was a very costly win. Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out for you.

SPPD

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. Sound like your bank account is going to be affected.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A locked diff will disengage at any speed higher than 25mph... You were probably WFO when it disengaged... Sounds sketchy.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Isn't this similar to snapping some piece in the tranny by locking in 4x4 on dry concrete and catching traction too fast?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah, even if you don't turn, 4x4 on dry grippy concrete is not suggested, ever. I don't know why I hear of so many guys putting it in 4wd to race?? I get that it means more traction, but unless you have a front differential (a la AWD) that can 'differentiate' wheel speed as needed, things can bind up.

id be willing to bet that's what happened here. Rookie mistake for sure. Sorry to hear it. I've been reading up on the use of 4wd since this is my first 4x4, and it's not necessarily a no brainer in when (not) to use it.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I could be wrong but I though the dealer explained that the locker was only for low speed like pulling out a boat at a slippery ramp or getting unstuck.
Having owned 4X4's all my life you did exactly what I would never do without snow or ice on the ground.
Good luck with it.
I agree this was a bad mistake. I don't know WHY the idiots on YouTube insist on showing them putting it in 4WD and setting the E-Locker ... all for a little perceived extra traction vs the HP loss in the drivetrain. They should try learning to launch properly at the track in the first place.

Unfortunately, whether you had it "tuned" or not, using your 4WD and E-Locker on dry pavement under WOT would normally constitute "abuse" and void your warranty.

I suggest you make sure everything is return to stock, go to the dealer and "play dumb". And if you get your truck repaired under warranty, thank your lucky stars.

Next time, just leave the traction control on and 2WD. That little extra traction isn't worth it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm not sure how many times I will have to say this. TUNERS do not VOID warranties. Now what happened to his truck is fairly simple... 4x4 + E-lock = output shaft bearing failure. You bound the drive train up. This is why they also tell you not to run different size tires front and rear on a 4x4, this is why the front and rear diffs carry very close final drives, however you may have a 3.31 rear and a 3.30 front, so there still is variation. Ford can void his warranty for the fact this happened during a race. However, it is highly unlikely Ford is going to. The dealer can tell you all they want that a tuner can void a warranty, however, unless they can 100% prove the tuner was the cause of the part failure they have no leg to stand on. I've battled this before, I used to believe the same as most; "aftermarket parts void warranties", then I was set straight by an individual much higher than I am on the totem pole. Read SCT's Faq page, they have the info on the laws that protect us as consumers. If aftermarket parts did void warranties there would be A LOT of dealers up **** creek who sell "Special Editions" tailored to their customers that still retain factory warranties.

The only time a tuner voids a warranty is in the case of the Cummins, Chrysler was having customers sign an agreement upon purchase of a new truck stating they would not modify the engine in any way. Most had no idea they even signed it.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I'm not sure how many times I will have to say this. TUNERS do not VOID warranties.
And, it doesn't mean they will fix it without forcing you go to court either. Manufacturers have a battery of lawyers and freely use them. First rule of lawyers: deny, deny and deny. Second rule: He who has deeper pockets usually wins. Third rule: Baffle them with BS from experts.

Most people don't have the resources to fight a major legal battle. Hell, many manufacturers will fight you EVEN when the customer is right, and its not until a group of consumers can get a class action lawsuit together that you finally get any satisfaction.

Ask a lot of owner of Ford trucks in the late 1980s and early 1990s who's paint flaked off and Ford originally refused to fix the problem. Only when a group got together all claiming the same problem did Ford finally step up and fix what was their problem. And it isn't just this one incident. I just recall it vividly because I had a number of buddies with new late 1980 and 1990 Ford trucks; and they went through hell to get truck repainted by Ford ... and only after a major class action lawsuit was filed.

So, even when you are 100% in the right and the manufacturer SHOULD fix a problem ... often they don't and deem it easier to fight customers legally and avoid a recall or warranty claims.

Manufacturers don't have to do anything.

And, sometimes the manufacturers have "unofficial recalls", where they are aware of a particular issue and will fix a customer's vehicle but ONLY after the customer has bitched enough.

Maybe your dealership and/or Nissan plays nice. BUT not all of the manufacturers do, thanks to the lawyers and the bean counters they have on staff who calculate the cost to fix ... not just one customers vehicle but a lot of vehicles, and wish to avoid a recall at all costs.

PS: I stand by my earlier recommendation to the OP "Put it back to stock, take it to the dealer and play dumb". I think his racing in 4WD with the E-Locker on dry pavement is the bigger issue than using a Tuner. Especially when the Owner Manual specifically says you are not to do that.

I just hope it's a cheap and easy fix for the OP if he cannot get Ford to cover it.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The only time a tuner voids a warranty is in the case of the Cummins, Chrysler was having customers sign an agreement upon purchase of a new truck stating they would not modify the engine in any way. Most had no idea they even signed it.
Actually Ford has very similar terms in their Extended Service Plan. Section 7, paragraph VI excludes "Repairs needed because of modifications not authorized by Ford or any repair caused by after-market (non-factory approved) PCM programming".

Also Section 2 has exclusions due to "racing, competitive driving or off-road use". Competitive driving is a nice, vague term, that could mean virtually anything driving beyond the legal speed limit. And off-road use could be interpreted as anything not on a public highway.

Unfortunately, once you start reading the fine print, you realize the Manufacturer has the deck stacked in their favor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Return the truck back to stock (there is no way for them to know you had a tune in there) and play dumb. "you drove off in your truck this morning and heard this noise". Dealership cant prove anything.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Return the truck back to stock (there is no way for them to know you had a tune in there) and play dumb. "you drove off in your truck this morning and heard this noise". Dealership cant prove anything.
Actually youre wrong.... Mode 9 data will tell the service technician how many key cycles have happened since last flash.... So if you do this ( flash back to stock) right before you get towed to the dealer... And you only have a few key cycles... This is a sure sign that a pcm flash has happened recently.... Which is a sign of a tuner installation or removal... If ford smells a rat they will ask for this data from the technician...ask me how i know..... ;)

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Actually youre wrong.... Mode 9 data will tell the service technician how many key cycles have happened since last flash.... So if you do this ( flash back to stock) right before you get towed to the dealer... And you only have a few key cycles... This is a sure sign that a pcm flash has happened recently.... Which is a sign of a tuner installation or removal... If ford smells a rat they will ask for this data from the technician...ask me how i know..... ;)
Okay, I'll bite. Tell us, please? :confused:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Actually Ford has very similar terms in their Extended Service Plan. Section 7, paragraph VI excludes "Repairs needed because of modifications not authorized by Ford or any repair caused by after-market (non-factory approved) PCM programming".

Also Section 2 has exclusions due to "racing, competitive driving or off-road use". Competitive driving is a nice, vague term, that could mean virtually anything driving beyond the legal speed limit. And off-road use could be interpreted as anything not on a public highway.

Unfortunately, once you start reading the fine print, you realize the Manufacturer has the deck stacked in their favor.
You are correct in the extended service contract, that is very common in all secondary warranties. My claim was to factory powertrain only, my apologies for not specifying that. Aftermarket/secondary warranties often have check lists and specifically request information on aftermarket or performance parts installed.

Nissan does play very well with the aftermarket world, we typically warranty nearly everything that comes in. Here in the last few months we've received a TSB to even warranty powertrain components outside of the warranty period for customers that are loyal. Nissan has really pushed for their customer loyalty.

As for going to court, the odds are no manufacturer is going to take you to court over a repair. It would have to be the customer that takes them. They may deny the claim, or they send an engineer to pull more information. I've had to entertain many of engineers, more so to just determine the failure than to deny the claim. Most engineers I've had to talk to are more interested in how to keep it from happening again than to chastise the customer.

Returning to the problem at hand, I'm with you. The tuner is 10 to 1 not what caused the failure, it was the 4x4 + E-lock on dry pavement. The only real thing he could do is leave it as is, and tell the dealer he was in a field pulling out onto a road and forgot to disengage the e-lock. Good luck to the OP, and take this as a lesson learned. However, do not get pissed if you end up fronting the money to pay for the transmission and differential, count yourself lucky if you didn't blow the transfer case out.

Reactions: Grim Reaper
1 - 20 of 33 Posts