F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the Ecoboost F-150 Community is familiar with our Offroad 3in Y-Pipes.
We are making this thread to get the word out to those who don't know about them and to help those who do and might have some questions or concerns.

The Facts:

• 3in Mandrel Bent Aluminized Catless Y-Pipe.
  • Direct Bolt-in Installation
  • Works with Factory and Aftermarket Exhaust
  • Improves Airflow over Factory Mid-Pipe
  • Requires Off-Road Tune to Optimize Performance
  • Most Powerful Y-Pipe in test done by independent company.
  • TurboPete, the fastest Ecoboost Truck in the Country Runs a MAK Offroad Y-Pipe

Common Installation Issues/Concerns:

Coupler/Insert:

We have seen alot of trucks running ours and other manufacturer Y-Pipes, and have had very small leaks at the turbos that are not noticeable. The reason we include the couplers with the Y-Pipe is due to different castings on the turbo housings. Some are slightly smaller than others which in turn cause the minimal exhaust leaks. Those exhaust leaks would cause the fuel odor described in the cab by some customers who left out the couplers. This is why we include them in the kits. We have even installed them on other manufacturers Y-Pipes who were having similar issues and the problem was remedied by the couplers due to the variations from Ford. We didn't include them in our first run of the Y-Pipes because no one knew, both of our test trucks were the same. We actually found out ourselves before any customer that had a Y-Pipe knew or noticed. We informed them and shipped out the needed couplers to those who had not received them originally free of charge (Some International). We have been doing this long enough that we like to avoid issues before the become issues.

We have been in the high performance industry for over 20 years on the muscle car side(Specializing in Ford). Ford(Mustangs) in previous years was known for having inconsistencies in the exhaust manifolds some smaller and some bigger at the collectors. So couplers were incorporated into all the manufacturers x-pipes to help with that problem. A problem that is nearly impossible to figure out otherwise. Mustangs of certain years and models still have couplers when using aftermarket x-pipes to factory headers. We had to transfer that practice to ecoboost trucks to give customers the best possible product.

The couplers have been tested and in no way,shape, or form hinder the performance of the pipe. The pipe will not perform better without them.

If you guys have any questions or concerns feel free to let me know.

Here are some pics of the installation. We took good detailed pics to show ample clearance in all areas.

Video Clips:

Riding Around:

1/4Mile Pass:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Very impressive Adrian! I can't believe how fast these trucks are getting at the track!! Some of those times are faster then I ran in a twin turbo Stealth years ago.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just installed my MAK catless Y-Pipe last night. Easy install, the worst part is pulling the heavy A$$ stock piece down, once that is out the MAK goes in like cake! Awesome quality product, straight forward instructions and you can’t beat the price!

Thanks Adrian & MAK!

-MWW

·
Registered
589 Posts
Matt- That is awesome! What have you noticed differently with the new install?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Matt- That is awesome! What have you noticed differently with the new install?
Honestly haven’t had any time to play around yet. The weather has been bad here so i can't really lay into her to hard without breaking the tires loose. I'll post more details soon as the weather clears up and I get my new tune loaded.... :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Interested in how it sounds. You have a stock exhaust?
Currently the cat-back it stock and it’s just about quiet as stock, maybe a tad louder but not much. I've got the pieces together to build my 3" cat-back, hoping to have it on mid next week.

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just installed my MAK catless Y-Pipe last night. Easy install, the worst part is pulling the heavy A$$ stock piece down, once that is out the MAK goes in like cake! Awesome quality product, straight forward instructions and you can’t beat the price!

Thanks Adrian & MAK!

-MWW
Sounds great. The turbo whistle should be more noticeable now. If you need anything else let us know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wicked! that Is something to look forward too in the future for sure! I am totally addicted to power and the ways to find more! Just want to make sure It's practical and reliable power.(daily driver here). After all,I have to be the first one to the quad trails,and camp sites!lol

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hello
will this effect the warranty

Yes the removal of catalytic converters can potentially affect your warranty. It all depends on the dealer. There are also laws preventing all of you warranty being affected by one particular modification. Ex. "If your backup camera stops working the cannot validly void your warranty because it has an offroad y pipe."

·
Registered
295 Posts
Does just running the MAK dp's throw a CEL code?

How hard was it to take out the o2 censors?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I can't remember if MAK's are catless or not, or if they sell both. Catless will throw a code which you can handle via tuner, catted Dp's you will be able to reconnect o2 sensors and have no problems.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I can't remember if MAK's are catless or not, or if they sell both. Catless will throw a code which you can handle via tuner, catted Dp's you will be able to reconnect o2 sensors and have no problems.
Definately want O/R - so I will make sure I have a tuner. Thanks.

How much of a PITA was it to disconnect, and re-connect the o2 sensors?

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Definately want O/R - so I will make sure I have a tuner. Thanks.

How much of a PITA was it to disconnect, and re-connect the o2 sensors?
Its usually not to hard, make sure you get the correct size wrench. The wrong size wrench will round out the sensor and make life hell. These trucks are all relatively new, so seized sensors are not all that likely.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I left my 02's in the factory downpipe and took them off on the work bench when I was able to get a good grip on them. Factory dowpipe comes out easy with them still installed, just be carfull and your good to go.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I left my 02's in the factory downpipe and took them off on the work bench when I was able to get a good grip on them. Factory dowpipe comes out easy with them still installed, just be carfull and your good to go.
Good tip, is the connector pretty easy to disconnect, or am I going to be a contortionist with a screw driver and pliers?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
17 Participants
[email protected]
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing