F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Moderstrator
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to find black center caps for my 2018's 20" OEM Special Edition black toned wheels. I always thought black center caps would look better than the OEM blue center caps. And now that I've replaced the "chrome" lug nits with black, I am even more interested in replacing the center caps.
The problem is - I cannot find any center caps that are of the 3" / 74 mm size that will actually pop into the center area securely. The black ones I have found (CL3Z-1130-B) are the right size on the external surface, but the inside tabs to clip into the wheel are all too small in diameter to be secure.

So - I bought a set of 4 sacrificial blue center caps FL34-1A096-BA off eBay and managed to get the first one from blue to black! Basically, I peeled of the blue cap from the mounting base, cut the black cap's mounting tabs off and glued the black cap top onto the blue cap's base.

I will document the step-by-step for the next center cap I convert.
For now, Prototype #1 is below.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Front wheel with black lug nuts and blue center cap - they gotta be black!

Font Electric blue Label Transparency Asphalt

Black center cap with mounting tabs too narrow to be secure.

Bottle cap Font Electric blue Circle Plant

Pre-owned blue center cap that fits my wheels, from which I peeled off the blue metal top layer.

Automotive tire Gas Rim Circle Automotive wheel system

OEM Blue cap's back on top, new black cap's back on bottom.
Note how old cap's tabs are spaced further out, the new black cap's tabs are inset a bit.

Wheel Hat Sports equipment Automotive tire Tire

Finished prototype - black cap glued to blue cap's base.

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,211 Posts
Looks good, where there’s a will there’s a way!

Reactions: Boatwaco

· Moderstrator
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More detailed steps - up to the point of gluing.

Preparation - Buy 4 new CL3Z-1130-B black center caps and either use your old center caps (they will be somewhat destroyed) or buy 4 old caps off of eBay FL34-1A096-BA. We will use the base of the old caps and the tops of the new caps to make the new set.
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Asphalt Tire Road surface Font

Step 1 - Pry the blue cap metal part off of its base. Use a small screwdriver and gently pry up the edges. Don't crack the old plastic base - we need that later.

Automotive tire Hood Bottle cap Sports equipment Automotive design
Gesture Finger Automotive tire Jewellery Electric blue

Step 2 - Prepare the black caps. Note the wire ring behind the black caps. Gentry pry this off. Then use your favorite cutting tool to cut the tabs off the back of the black cap. I used a hacksaw once and then started to use a Dremel. The Dremel is faster. Cut all the tabs off but do not cut into the top surface!

Camera lens Font Cameras & optics Camera accessory Lens
Sports equipment Helmet Finger Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Thumb

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Bicycle part Bicycle tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Finger Grass Asphalt

Automotive tire Wood Finger Gas Thumb

Reactions: FanaticalKilla

· Moderstrator
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Step 3 - clean up the black cap. The tabs and the center raised plastic on the bottom side of the black cap must be ground down so it can sit on the old blue cap base. The old blue cap base is convex, so the black cap center oval must be ground down a bit. Don't go too far - that's where the logo is attached.

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Glove Gas
Wood Finger Thumb Gas Nail

Step 4 - Clean up the old blue cap mounting surface. I used the Dremel again to get rid of the old adhesive.

Automotive tire Plant Tire Rim Tread
Automotive tire Manhole cover Manhole Grass Road surface

Step 5 - Keep lightly grinding the black cap underside until it sits flush on top of the old blue cap base. The picture below shows the black cap sitting nicely onto the blue cap base.

Hand Tire Automotive tire Finger Tool

Step 6 - glue the black cap onto the blue cap base. I used Flex Glue on the first test cap. I may go to the store and get a different plastic glue. Use what you feel is the best glue. Apply glue, clamp, allow time to dry and set. Install on your wheels!

Automotive tire Camera lens Tread Gas Camera accessory

· Premium Member
669 Posts
Step 3 - clean up the black cap. The tabs and the center raised plastic on the bottom side of the black cap must be ground down so it can sit on the old blue cap base. The old blue cap base is convex, so the black cap center oval must be ground down a bit. Don't go too far - that's where the logo is attached.

View attachment 185155 View attachment 185156

Step 4 - Clean up the old blue cap mounting surface. I used the Dremel again to get rid of the old adhesive.

View attachment 185157 View attachment 185158

Step 5 - Keep lightly grinding the black cap underside until it sits flush on top of the old blue cap base. The picture below shows the black cap sitting nicely onto the blue cap base.

View attachment 185159

Step 6 - glue the black cap onto the blue cap base. I used Flex Glue on the first test cap. I may go to the store and get a different plastic glue. Use what you feel is the best glue. Apply glue, clamp, allow time to dry and set. Install on your wheels!

View attachment 185160
Phil Swift has approved this message! :ROFLMAO:

· Moderstrator
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final three assembled and glued. I’ll leave them clamped for 2 days and allow 7 for total curing, as per the Flex Glue label. Can’t wait to pop them onto the truck after that!

Automotive tire Saw Handheld power drill Concrete saw Pneumatic tool

Reactions: FanaticalKilla

· Moderstrator
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finished! And by the way, a .024 metal feeler gauge is the perfect tool to quickly pop off old center caps!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Tread

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Truck Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Automotive tire

Reactions: snakebitten
1 - 8 of 8 Posts