F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XLT 3.5
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post excuse me if someone has gone over this before. I have a 2015 3.5 that I recently started having the issue of a massive amount of boost loss and an awful sound at 4500rpm. Originally I thought maybe a turbo. I ended up replacing both turbos and the bypass solenoid. I have smoked and pressure tested system and haven’t found any leaks that way but for some reason at 4500 RPMs it’s the horrible sound and a massive amount of boost loss and powerloss. The truck has a cold air intake and a turbo smart Bov but is basically stock I just can’t seem to find out what the issue is. Any info you guys have that may help me out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,673 Posts
OK. Is this while doing an Italian Tuneup ? Only time mine ever sees more than 3k rpm's.
Does it sound like boost pressure blowoff or ? Anyway to get the sound on video ? Easily reproduced ?

·
Registered
2015 XLT 3.5
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It blows off when I let off accelerator. It sounds like a massive boost leak but there are no leaks. The wastegates just open and it dumps everything. I don’t understand what is going on. I can take a video tomorrow. The truck is at my workshop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,673 Posts
Did it do it before you installed the bov ?

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Do you have a wait to datalog? Either a tuner or a bluetooth OBD module?

·
Registered
2015 XLT 3.5
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a wait to datalog? Either a tuner or a bluetooth OBD module?
I’m going to send the data log to brew city once I get back to the truck. I’ve ran it through test cycles on injectors and coils and nothing is coming up wrong. Ford is no help. The dealer is saying they are going to have to pull things apart and get inside to see but they charge far too much for the little help they actually do. Ford corporate says it has to be at a dealer for them to send a service engineer but I’m not paying that kind of money when they just shrug their shoulders and state “fault codes are t coming back”.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,673 Posts
BOV has been installed for quite awhile already checked that.

So it started doing it since you installed the bov.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Does it throw any codes?

I understand it seems like the BOV isn’t leaking but it wouldn’t hurt to put it back to stock and seeing if the issue goes away.
I agree with @SrpRacing - put the stock eBOV back in and see if the problem persists or goes away. This is the best way to isolate and eliminate the BOV as an issue.

Everything you are describing is what generally happens when the eBOV develops a rip in the diaphram (just had that problem myself). And it doesn't take much of a rip either.

·
Registered
2015 XLT 3.5
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with @SrpRacing - put the stock eBOV back in and see if the problem persists or goes away. This is the best way to isolate and eliminate the BOV as an issue.

Everything you are describing is what generally happens when the eBOV develops a rip in the diaphram (just had that problem myself). And it doesn't take much of a rip either.
I’m with both you guys. I tossed the factory in the garbage when I did the turbo smart one. I’m looking at it now. If I can get a video I will post it. It’s pissing me off. No help from turbo smart either. Nobody answers the phone.

·
Registered
2015 XLT 3.5
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does it throw any codes?

I understand it seems like the BOV isn’t leaking but it wouldn’t hurt to put it back to stock and seeing if the issue goes away.
Originally it threw a P0299 and P0316. Under boost and misfire at startup. Since I erased them when I put it back to stock tune as it does when you do the reset and they haven’t returned.

·
Registered
2015 XLT 3.5
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Locked the bov shut and it still does it. I tried to post a video but idk how this works lol.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Are you able to do any data logging?

undrboost code, is underboost. lol. Does this code still show up on stock tune? If it does, you have a leak somewhere, but that shouldnt case it to fall on its face at 4500

p0316 is a misfire dedection on cold start. That should go away. Put some fresh 93 in it

·
Registered
2015 XLT 3.5
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you able to do any data logging?

undrboost code, is underboost. lol. Does this code still show up on stock tune? If it does, you have a leak somewhere, but that shouldnt case it to fall on its face at 4500

p0316 is a misfire dedection on cold start. That should go away. Put some fresh 93 in it
P0299 hasn’t come back neither has the P0316. Its back to stock tune. Just disconnected the wastegates to see if they were passing and noise and boost loss still exists. Smoke tested the cold side to 6-7psi and no leaks. It builds 17-18psi then noise starts and the boost gauge falls

1 - 20 of 31 Posts