F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
741 - 760 of 795 Posts

· Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
578 Posts
The nasty thing about most dynos is that they are relatively inexpensive inertial dynos. Not a brake or water dyno. Measures the ability to accelerate a heavy wheel. Can only measure HP under acceleration not steady state. Am dumbfounded by people who claim they can tune a carburetor for steady state operation under those conditions. Have never seen one come out right. Simply can not find the optimum mixture for power at 4000 RPM by accelerating through 4000 RPM.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #743 ·
@boostkingMatt, we've talked about this before but at the end of the day, HP/Torque numbers on a printout don't matter. Fast cars and trucks are measured by the numbers used to measure a given distance from A to B and hopefully with someone behind you watching you obtain those numbers.

I know that you understand this but I've seen guys guess at what their vehicle might achieve, this much HP or that much torque, all kinds of formulas and speculation. I've seen them spend a lot of Dyno time and money trying to prove those numbers. These are smart people that I really respect. They never did see a printout with the numbers they hoped to see and their cars were so dang fast. That's all that matters, you walking the vehicle lined up next to you.

I wouldn't waste another thought on what the Dyno says. Spend those next Dyno $$$'s on a lightweight set of wheels or drag slicks, maybe traction bars. These things will help you win races.

Dyno goals can be hard to hit and even more difficult to duplicate. :whistle:
Thank you for saying that. You solidified in my head what I’ve already come to terms with.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #744 ·
I’m strongly of the opinion that the 1/4 mile calculators with the constants are much more accurate for horsepower numbers. Torrie even told me that.
So that’s why I made that thread. Don’t waste money on a dyno unless you’re getting a dyno tune. Just use the calculator with your times and you will be happy with the result.

· Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
724 Posts
According to actual slips from the strip, those formulas put me betweein 385-400 hp crank.
Totally in line with what I expected based on my 39-40 lb/min flow & stock turbos.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #746 ·
According to actual slips from the strip, those formulas put me betweein 385-400 hp crank.
Totally in line with what I expected based on my 39-40 lb/min flow & stock turbos.
Wait how much does your truck weigh?

· Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
724 Posts
5,650 lbs. without me, full of fuel & daily (but not a ton of) gear.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
Reactions: Upshifter

· Registered
724 Posts
Sounds about right. But I'd really like the rwhp number to start with a '4' ;)

At the track that day I saw a dude with a vanity license plate I thought was brilliant: "XXXXWHP"
With that many digits at the wheel, does it really matter which digits they are?

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #752 ·
Sounds about right. But I'd really like the rwhp number to start with a '4' ;)

At the track that day I saw a dude with a vanity license plate I thought was brilliant: "XXXXWHP"
With that many digits at the wheel, does it really matter which digits they are?
Well we can make that happen with some Garrett Powermax turbos! I’d be willing to help/do the install for you early on a spring Sunday morning.

Uh, actually does matter. Big difference between 1000 horse and 2000 horse

Reactions: TOWMA8R

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #754 ·
  • Wow
Reactions: bentruby

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Launching on those asphalt mid to ow 30 degrees, sure done help your cold tires grab! A set of bars will help the launch, with locker on will be the best combo,,,,,, But you 0-60 times, man dude, legit!

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #756 ·
Launching on those asphalt mid to ow 30 degrees, sure done help your cold tires grab! A set of bars will help the launch, with locker on will be the best combo,,,,,, But you 0-60 times, man dude, legit!
Maybe I’ll get some traction bars. Do they actually help though? I mean @bentruby was getting the same 60’ as me and he has them and I don’t.

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Maybe I’ll get some traction bars. Do they actually help though? I mean @bentruby was getting the same 60’ as me and he has them and I don’t.
Will they help to a noticeable difference, sometimes.... for sure on the street in 2wd....... under 4wd launching, they can't hurt... every truck is different, some will benefit, some won/t be able to see a difference....

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #760 ·
I’ve got the front diff brace and the traction bars. My best 60’ is 1.86

i can do some comparison with/without when the snow melts. That’s usually late april though
My best 60’ was 1.81

741 - 760 of 795 Posts