F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
181 - 200 of 1,710 Posts
The stage4s might be slightly more lag than the stage 2s but I honestly can’t even tell. They seem to almost have better low end flow than the stage 2s.
I was suspecting that… that any upgrade carries similar concessions on spool time, so go big.

I’d like to simply upgrade my Gen 1 turbos to similar compressor / turbine sizes as the 2018+ 3.5’s. My theory is that size has Ben deemed to have little lag on that gen but plenty of headroom, so same should be true on my gen 1 if I can meet fueling demands through purely direct injection.

Reactions: boostkingMatt
Discussion starter · #182 ·
I was suspecting that… that any upgrade carries similar concessions on spool time, so go big.

I’d like to simply upgrade my Gen 1 turbos to similar compressor / turbine sizes as the 2018+ 3.5’s. My theory is that size has Ben deemed to have little lag on that gen but plenty of headroom, so same should be true on my gen 1 if I can meet fueling demands through purely direct injection.
Heck yeah. If I still had my gen 1 3.5 I would have done the gen 3 turbo swap on it. Seems very cost effective and quite a big upgrade. Go for it!

Discussion starter · #183 ·

Just spit balling here, but I’m wondering if there’s less lag with a turbo that has a more aggressive compressor wheel, i.e. large inducer, small exducer. In other words, the exducer is not that much larger than the inducer. I honestly feel like these stage 4s have more spool down low than the stage 2s. They have about the same lag though. But the stage 2s seemed to have less low end hp, whereas the stage 4s seem to have a little more down low.

Discussion starter · #185 ·
You guys aren't experiencing Turbo lag.
I mean I guess you are "technically" 🤪

I'm old. Turbo lag was a real thing.

The Ecoboost doesn't have it. I'm just saying. :)
Yeah I know. The old power strokes were horrible I’m told.

You guys aren't experiencing Turbo lag.
I mean I guess you are "technically" [emoji2957]

I'm old. Turbo lag was a real thing.

The Ecoboost doesn't have it. I'm just saying. :)
In my high school years we had Mitsubishi Eclipses (Eagle Talons), Nissan 300z Turbos, and Subaru WRX’s were just coming onto the scene.

I was lucky enough to have friends with each and let me drive them.

Yup, THAT was turbo lag. But the lag is what made it comically exciting as a kid!!

Nothing…. Nothing…. Nothing…
Whoa….. too much… TOO MUCH!!!
[emoji1787][emoji1787]

^^^^ exactly

My first Turbo was a 1984 SVO Mustang.
We were just coming out of the post-muscle-car regulation purgatory that had the Chevrolet Corvette capped at 180HP.

Suddenly, the awakening of the sleeping giant: FUN to drive

You described that flavor of the new version of fun perfectly. :)

Discussion starter · #188 ·
Still trying to figure out what all the smoke in the exhaust is from. Spark plugs look ok, they are dry as a bone, cylinders look ok. I must have burned all the deposits off cylinder 1 when it was having the cylinder head oil burning issue because the top of that piston looks very clean.
Automotive tire Bottle Hood Motor vehicle Gas

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

check out this pic of one of the cylinders, look how clean that piston is. If I move the camera closer I can read part of the stamping on the top.
Hand Finger Bicycle part Gas Cylinder

Discussion starter · #190 ·
I also popped the hot side pipes off, cleaned them and cleaned the blue boots, mainly to get the oil out of there that was left from my stock turbos which were going bad.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Discussion starter · #191 ·
Ok, small update, for those of you who saw my rolling coal thread, I returned to stock tune today. It does not blow any smoke at all. Working with Torrie on his tune at the moment so that’s good.

Anyway, the stage 4 turbos on the stock tune run so good…. Truck made 29lb/min on only 5-8 psi. It spiked initially to 11 psi but as rpm went up it lowered boost to keep horsepower at the target amount and at the peak it was making like 5-7 psi with 29 lb/min. Just tells you how much more air volume the stage 4s have. Crazy.

In my high school years we had Mitsubishi Eclipses (Eagle Talons), Nissan 300z Turbos, and Subaru WRX’s were just coming onto the scene.

I was lucky enough to have friends with each and let me drive them.

Yup, THAT was turbo lag. But the lag is what made it comically exciting as a kid!!

Nothing…. Nothing…. Nothing…
Whoa….. too much… TOO MUCH!!!
[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Man,I miss my 89 conquest TSI and 91 Dodge Stealth Turbo,,,, Lol you brought back some crazy memories, Then I ended up with a Grand National....... thought I was IT ,,,,,,, MAN THE CAR THAT GOT AWAY..... I should have never sold that car......

Ok, small update, for those of you who saw my rolling coal thread, I returned to stock tune today. It does not blow any smoke at all. Working with Torrie on his tune at the moment so that’s good.

Anyway, the stage 4 turbos on the stock tune run so good…. Truck made 29lb/min on only 5-8 psi. It spiked initially to 11 psi but as rpm went up it lowered boost to keep horsepower at the target amount and at the peak it was making like 5-7 psi with 29 lb/min. Just tells you how much more air volume the stage 4s have. Crazy.

You make me want to upgrade turbos!!! Well, I a relieved that it may be a tuning issue and not something mechanical or internal..... Still wishing the best outcome for ya!

Reactions: Boatwaco
Discussion starter · #194 ·
You make me want to upgrade turbos!!! Well, I a relieved that it may be a tuning issue and not something mechanical or internal..... Still wishing the best outcome for ya!
Thanks man! Haha yeah, if I had a gen 3 3.5 I probably still would upgrade the turbos, but the gen 3 has big enough turbos to make ample horsepower. The 2.7 in my opinion has way too small of a turbo.

Man,I miss my 89 conquest TSI and 91 Dodge Stealth Turbo,,,, Lol you brought back some crazy memories, Then I ended up with a Grand National....... thought I was IT ,,,,,,, MAN THE CAR THAT GOT AWAY..... I should have never sold that car......
Ahh, the Dodge Stealth….

Thought that was about the coolest thing on 4 wheels in my newly-licensed days. Never got to drive one, but always felt it was so much better looking than the Mitsubishi 3000GT, and when I saw one it felt like the owners were in on a secret.

Still a bucket list car, but they say don’t meet your heroes.

Discussion starter · #196 ·
Ahh, the Dodge Stealth….

Thought that was about the coolest thing on 4 wheels in my newly-licensed days. Never got to drive one, but always felt it was so much better looking than the Mitsubishi 3000GT, and when I saw one it felt like the owners were in on a secret.

Still a bucket list car, but they say don’t meet your heroes.
I’ve ridden in a Mitsubishi 3000GT. It was fun, but….. it was the crappiest car I’ve ever been in. It was my friends car, and we decided to go for a drive in it.

Here’s the story…
We go out to the barn and there she is, a yellow 3000GT. My friend Chandler hooks up a wire going across the dashboard and out the passenger window to the battery in order to run the dash electronics. We get in and he starts it up. We start driving down the road. The car begins to overheat or something (I didn’t know much about cars then so I can’t remember) just in the 5 minutes of driving it. We stop at a stop sign and he floors it. We sail to 70mph pretty quick and all of a sudden the hood flies up and over top of the car and lands in the ditch. Chandler was like, oh, yeah, I forgot that the hoods hinges were rusted off. So we stop and pick up the hood. Then on the way back he had to shut the car off going down the hill cuz of the overheating I guess.

What a pile of garbage haha.

My friend Chandler hooks up a wire going across the dashboard and out the passenger window to the battery in order to run the dash electronics.
^^ Red flag #1 that Chandler may not be taking optimal care of said vehicle!! Hahaha

Funny story, though I admit I’d have probably also still gotten in the car at that stage in my formative years.

Discussion starter · #198 ·
^^ Red flag #1 that Chandler may not be taking optimal care of said vehicle!! Hahaha

Funny story, though I admit I’d have probably also still gotten in the car at that stage in my formative years.
Lol, nah he bought it like that for cheap. He just hadn’t done anything to it yet. Not sure he ever did. I think he got rid of it. Hahaha

Thanks man! Haha yeah, if I had a gen 3 3.5 I probably still would upgrade the turbos, but the gen 3 has big enough turbos to make ample horsepower. The 2.7 in my opinion has way too small of a turbo.
I know, but to say I have upgraded turbos would be cool,,,,,,, LOl Yup, I am not going farther than I am now, E50 dialed in and call it a day...... Drive and enjoy, If I can't be happy with a very low 12 sec truck, then I need help!

If I can't be happy with a very low 12 sec truck, then I need help!
I think there are support groups in case you change your mind. ;)

181 - 200 of 1,710 Posts