2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #493 ·
Tire Wheel Sky Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
My mind is blown at that HP number. Wow !
No, MY MIND is blown!! After the first pull I walked up to the window of the truck and was like, “how much was that?” And the guy was like “That was pretty stout.” I could tell he was very surprised and impressed. Then he said 512 and my jaw about dropped on the ground.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
I never saw a hub dyno. Interesting !
Apparently they are the most accurate readings. There’s none of the tire slippage, and stuff. All that inertial stuff I don’t understand. But a Hub dyno is the best.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
Please don't take this post the wrong way, I mean no offense. Hub dyno is best? Most accurate with respect to what? You may pick up 30 or 40 horsepower on a hub dyno compared to a roller dyno, you may then pick up another 30 to 40 horsepower with just an engine dyno compared to a hub dyno. So what's the point of reference? Is the point of reference HP to the ground? Of course not in this example.

It's like saying an engine dyno > hub dyno > roller dyno. 400 HP on a roller dyno does not equal 400 HP on a hub dyno. It takes/wastes real HP to get transmissions, differentials, wheels, and tires spinning. The numbers will, of course, be lower on a roller dyno than on a hub dyno. There are pretty significant differences from one dyno manufacturer to the next.

None of these numbers mean much of anything when compared to the other type of dyno. These numbers are most important in how they compare to the same piece of equipment on the same dyno from one run to the next. Just sayin...

No offense taken. Watch this video though. It’s not about, hey, I’m making more horsepower at the hubs! Cuz, of course you are, ya just took the tires off. But it’s more than just that…

• Helpful
Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
Video makes sense.
Basically a hub dyno will measure horsepower pre-some measure of drivetrain loss. In this case, wheels/tires. But it has the advantage of being consistent in regards to a few specific tire/traction variables.

So not technically RWHP?

Sure is safer, especially with 1:1 gear ratio runs.
Pretty cool setup
Yep exactly. The guy at On3 does a lot of this dyno tuning and they also have a roller dyno, so he knows what he’s talking about. He said he thinks I have high 400s to the tires, so like 460 or something.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 ·
Have seen that vid. This dyno may or may not make your number more repeatable. In theory, it should lessen the variables in the equation but taming the variables is what you are doing when strapping it down too. Tires that are strapped to a roller produce numbers that are also repeatable from one run to the next.

It isn't about the number, but the number from one run or one adjustment to the next regardless of which dyno you're using. If all it was about was the numbers, then the question to you is this, would you rather have 600 HP at the roller or 600 at the hub? I'm not questioning your numbers here they are what they are.
What’s the point in getting on any dyno then?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #504 ·
To improve your tune. Too many jump on a dyno so they can flash a number that is comparable to what?
Well, I wasn’t trying to do any tuning, I just wanted to see what it made.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #506 ·
You don't seem like the kinda guy that wants a number just for bragging. Now put it back on a month from now, on a hotter day or with a different fuel, refine your tune and see what you will. It's good for your vehicle to have a frame of reference. It doesn't mean anything to the guy that was on a roller dyno and turned the same numbers as you do. If he does, and all else being equal, you need to be the better pilot.
I do like to brag sometimes, but I don’t like to brag with lies. I want real truth facts. And I feel that it’s not truth if I say I have 513 hp, because that’s not what it is at the wheels. So if I do use that number I’ll specify that it’s at the hubs.

I don’t think Torrie is going to refine anything.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
Impressive no matter which way you slice it!

Now you’ve got a baseline you can compare against if you make additional changes.

And we know who we’re dealing with here, so it will most definitely come in handy!

The idea of vastly exceeding tire speed ratings on a wheel dyno always made me nervous anyway. Hub dyno seems to eliminate 1 safety issue while also being more portable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very true! I hadn’t thought about the tires with speed ratings lol. Yeah probably not the best.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 ·

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #511 ·
Congrats Matt on the impressive dyno run. Interesting dip at 5000 rpm, what’s the datalog say about that? Once it recovered it was still headed up on the HP curve past 6100 rpm, pretty sweet. Nice to see some hard data to prove the upgrades we all talk about actually result in real power gains.
Thanks! Well, I can’t really tell, but it was pulling boost out, and I’m guessing that was due to being at lower elevation.

Reactions: tltech

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 ·
I don’t really consider myself brand loyal but to me these are the best looking trucks on the road and there are no other 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks that draws my eyes to them like the f150, F250, 350... do.

Looking good man!
I 100% agree! Thanks! I always see other f150s and and go, man that’s a good looking truck. That’s cuz they are! F150s are just very sharp looking. The only dodge truck that I kinda like, is the TRX. Otherwise ford is top.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
Little note on my dyno pulls.

I should have done the pulls in 4th gear. 4th is a 1.14:1 ratio. 3rd gear is a 1.52:1 ratio.

My torque would have been higher had I been in 4th gear. Guess I’ll have to dyno her again to see!

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #519 ·
I have a 0-60 datalog if anyone is in the least bit curious. It did not pull as hard as it normally does. Lb/min was only 43.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #520 ·
Well, ran the truck on a few 0-60s tonight. Pulls hard. Hit .9 Gs and Torries adjusted tune did help me build a bit more boost. I was able to get the truck to do a 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. I know it’s faster though. Man does it feel good though, it pulls so hard.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
Some beautiful shots I took with my iPhone from this weekend.
Cloud Sky Water Mountain Water resources

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Mountain

Rainbow Water Sky Cloud Ecoregion

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
Truck ran a 5.2 second 0-60 last night. Torrie just sent me another file, helping to increase boost on launch. I really need those differential braces…

261 - 280 of 298 Posts