321 - 340 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
347 Posts
I meant the painted portion of the wheel

View attachment 179535

They are probably already great looking based on the picture

There were two styles of this wheel right? I think the STX got a lighter shade of gr(e|a)y, and the Lariat had darker.. or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
347 Posts
Just sent for a test kit from Blackstone.
I asked them for more sample containers and they sent me an envelope of mailing labels.. Either they've changed and you have to source the containers yourself or I am missing something.

• Wow
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Moderstrator
4,196 Posts
@GearHead_1 - from your paint finish and detailing background - have you seen this and is this yellowing in the clear coat or paint? Do you know if a mild polish can take it away?
I've absolutely seen the reverse of this where outside of the sticker fades/discolors with age. That said, I have no doubt that whatever adhesive might have been used on the decal could potentially discolor paint but I've never had to deal with it. I'd start with the least aggressive compound or a paint cleaner and pad in my cabinet on a polisher and see what that did. You'll soon know if it stayed in or on the top part of the clear. My gut says that might be on the paint rather than in the paint.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
The rule is.. your truck, do what looks good to you!

This was really quick and dirty, you're getting what you paid for!

View attachment 179570
Dude, you are good at that! Looks ok I guess, but @Boatwaco is right, I might end up thinking it’s too chromey, if that’s a word lol.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
  • Love

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
I took my mudflaps off, but it still rubs on this, if I go over a bump while turning.
Vertebrate Automotive tire Leaf Tread Wheel

• Sad

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
You don’t want to get rid of that.
Right?

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
You don’t want to get rid of that.
Right?
No, I think that’s supposed to stay. I need to get someone to help me so they can watch and see what it’s actually rubbing on.

Also, does anyone have any good headlight ideas? I want some headlights with black housings. I don’t care if it’s halogen or LED, cuz I have LED bulbs that I like that I’ll swap in.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
347 Posts
No, I think that’s supposed to stay. I need to get someone to help me so they can watch and see what it’s actually rubbing on.

Also, does anyone have any good headlight ideas? I want some headlights with black housings. I don’t care if it’s halogen or LED, cuz I have LED bulbs that I like that I’ll swap in.
Unless you want to take apart the stock housings and paint them, get something like this:

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
347 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
@bentruby Wait, you can take the stock housing apart and paint it? Won’t that mess with the projector for the low beam?

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
347 Posts
@bentruby Wait, you can take the stock housing apart and paint it? Won’t that mess with the projector for the low beam?
You've gotta leave the Reflectors silver for the low/high beams to work, but yeah.. it's pretty common to do this, bake it in the oven or use a heat gun to pull the lenses off then paint what you want.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
347 Posts
Most of the aftermarket headlights that are all black use projectors. Our stock housings use reflectors. The differences are not subtle..

Putting LED or Xenon/HID bulbs into Reflectors is generally frowned upon, as the light pattern is not super controllable and you're not being courteous to other drivers. Using Projectors on the other hand gives a clean light pattern that you can adjust to keep out of the eyes of oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
Most of the aftermarket headlights that are all black use projectors. Our stock housings use reflectors. The differences are not subtle..

Putting LED or Xenon/HID bulbs into Reflectors is generally frowned upon, as the light pattern is not super controllable and you're not being courteous to other drivers. Using Projectors on the other hand gives a clean light pattern that you can adjust to keep out of the eyes of oncoming traffic.
Yeah, I guess what I did is frowned upon, cuz I put leds in my reflector headlights.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
347 Posts
Yeah, I guess what I did is frowned upon, cuz I put leds in my reflector headlights.

It's probably not the worst thing, I don't mean to sound judgmental.. I guess it's more of an awareness of what you're doing.. if you get flashed a lot at night it's probably blinding others. If not you're probably ok.

So those alpha Rex ones say that they are only for halogen, why is that? Could I not put my LED bulbs in it?
The OE LED wiring harness is different, so they're not compatible with that. Your OEM halogen harness is what this is designed for. You'd be ok with the LED's you have if they fit into the OEM halogen harness.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
It's probably not the worst thing, I don't mean to sound judgmental.. I guess it's more of an awareness of what you're doing.. if you get flashed a lot at night it's probably blinding others. If not you're probably ok.

The OE LED wiring harness is different, so they're not compatible with that. Your OEM halogen harness is what this is designed for. You'd be ok with the LED's you have if they fit into the OEM halogen harness.
Lol, it’s hit or miss sometimes I get flashed, other times I don’t. I haven’t recently though since I lowered the truck.

I see. At this rate I might paint my own headlights, at least the trim piece inside.

321 - 340 of 393 Posts