F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
401 - 420 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Haven’t posted in a bit, so here’s a bit of an update. I’ve just been busy logging tunes for MPT, Unleashed and BoostKing. It’s time consuming.

Brett’s tune is making around 43lb/min right now, but he’s working out some things, the last pull I did on the latest revision only did 40lb/min

Torries last revision did 43.88lb/min and felt really good. His most recent revision is at 41.6lb/min on 16 psi, so he’s turning her up now too. He was at 40lb/min for like 15 revisions.

MPT has been amazing with customer service, answered all my questions. They had some minor issues, but have resolved those and are beginning to put some sauce on.

So far my favorite tune is Torries tune. I can’t speak much for MPT because they’re just getting started, but Torries trans tune is absolutely amazing. I am a fan.

The other day I sent @bentruby a video of one of my highway pulls, and then he took my log and one of his and compared them. What he found was kinda interesting.
We both somehow started at 43mph so that was perfect for comparison.

Here is the data he came up with.

Ben’s truck
43-75mph 5.4 seconds

My truck
43-75mph 4.2 seconds.

His truck I believe made 47lb/min while mine made 43.9 lb/min. He’s on revision number 4 and on e50 and will surpass me very quickly I have no doubt. But still, interesting data.

Then we compared spool times on the same logs. I wanted to see how much faster his stage 3 turbos spooled up compared to my stage 4s, and the difference isn’t as much as I thought, depending on the situation.

From a 43-75mph pull I looked at the data like this:

I decided that I would say the turbos are done spooling up when the curve stops increasing and it gets to the top and then goes flat. So right at that point where it stops increasing was my mark.

The stage 3 turbos’ boost stopped increasing at 4 rpm on Ben’s truck

On my truck the boost stopped increasing at 5119 rpm

Little bit different. However, I did do a log today and noticed I got full spool at 4300 rpm, but it was at a different speed and different gear. But for a side by side comparison, what we did was about as good as we will get.

If you made it through that post, high five!!

·
Moderstrator
1,960 Posts
Your world is very different than mine - thanks for sharing with such details. My truck has but 1 personality- yours has at least three to choose from. Very cool.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Sorry, I said Ben’s truck spooled to 4 rpm, lol, I meant to say his turbos were at full spool at 4199 rpm.

• Haha
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
Had a great time this weekend camping out in the mountains. First time I ever used my truck tent, and I absolutely love it. It got kinda cold, wish I had brought more blankets.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tent Tarpaulin Plant

On the way home I did a pull on a new revision from Torrie and the truck made 44.2 lb/min. It’s feeling really darn good, I’m really loving the versatility of my truck!

·
Moderstrator
1,960 Posts
I suggest a double sleeping bag set - I bought this for my truck rent camping. It allows a nice layer to sleep in on top of the base layer (air mattress, fitted sheet and blanket).
And you can use as two sleeping bags when desired.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
I suggest a double sleeping bag set - I bought this for my truck rent camping. It allows a nice layer to sleep in on top of the base layer (air mattress, fitted sheet and blanket).
And you can use as two sleeping bags when desired.

That’s what I need.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
Well, I’m nearing the end of my desired limit with the truck. We are currently as I said, at 44.2 lb/min. I would like to reach 45 or 46 and then I think I would like to stop there for now, that would put me theoretically at very close to 400 wheel and I don’t really want to go beyond that at this elevation. The turbos are capable, they still have about 30% wastegate at WOT. But the reason I got them was to have a big enough turbo so I don’t have to run them at max boost and on the edge of explosion. In this case, they have much more in them and I’d like to keep that a mystery haha.

·
Moderstrator
1,960 Posts
It’s difficult to imagine you actually stopping your quest for the best, but recent events in the world of engine failure may suggest it prudent to do do.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·
It’s difficult to imagine you actually stopping your quest for the best, but recent events in the world of engine failure may suggest it prudent to do do.
Well, it’s not like I had a goal to be the fastest 2.7 out there because I know that ain’t happening. But if i could be running 46 lb/min conservatively with the turbos than I would be happy. That will beat most stock sports cars at this elevation and my guess is that if I went to an even higher elevation I would still be able to make that horsepower because there’s room with the turbos. But you are right. I don’t want to blow up my engine, and I think 400 whp is plentiful for now. Next thing on my list is a dragy, and to go get on a dyno!

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
It's hard for an ol Arkansas boy to imagine it's cold anywhere right now. 58 days without rain and several days over 100.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
It's hard for an ol Arkansas boy to imagine it's cold anywhere right now. 58 days without rain and several days over 100.
Oh, it’s very hot in the day, high 80s. But at night it drops to mid 40s up where I was camping.

Shoot,i camped at a place a couple years ago in Mid August and woke up with ice all over my tent. Wasn’t the most pleasant thing to deal with but thankfully I had warm clothes for that camping trip.

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
Please stop saying 80's is very hot.
KSA

·
Moderstrator
1,960 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Haven’t posted in a bit, so here’s a bit of an update. I’ve just been busy logging tunes for MPT, Unleashed and BoostKing. It’s time consuming.

Brett’s tune is making around 43lb/min right now, but he’s working out some things, the last pull I did on the latest revision only did 40lb/min

Torries last revision did 43.88lb/min and felt really good. His most recent revision is at 41.6lb/min on 16 psi, so he’s turning her up now too. He was at 40lb/min for like 15 revisions.

MPT has been amazing with customer service, answered all my questions. They had some minor issues, but have resolved those and are beginning to put some sauce on.

So far my favorite tune is Torries tune. I can’t speak much for MPT because they’re just getting started, but Torries trans tune is absolutely amazing. I am a fan.

The other day I sent @bentruby a video of one of my highway pulls, and then he took my log and one of his and compared them. What he found was kinda interesting.
We both somehow started at 43mph so that was perfect for comparison.

Here is the data he came up with.

Ben’s truck
43-75mph 5.4 seconds

My truck
43-75mph 4.2 seconds.

His truck I believe made 47lb/min while mine made 43.9 lb/min. He’s on revision number 4 and on e50 and will surpass me very quickly I have no doubt. But still, interesting data.

Then we compared spool times on the same logs. I wanted to see how much faster his stage 3 turbos spooled up compared to my stage 4s, and the difference isn’t as much as I thought, depending on the situation.

From a 43-75mph pull I looked at the data like this:

I decided that I would say the turbos are done spooling up when the curve stops increasing and it gets to the top and then goes flat. So right at that point where it stops increasing was my mark.

The stage 3 turbos’ boost stopped increasing at 4 rpm on Ben’s truck

On my truck the boost stopped increasing at 5119 rpm

Little bit different. However, I did do a log today and noticed I got full spool at 4300 rpm, but it was at a different speed and different gear. But for a side by side comparison, what we did was about as good as we will get.

If you made it through that post, high five!!
Great info!!!!

Are you seeing any knock, like one tune vs the other? Any spikes in knock or gradual climb during WOT?

And I would love the 80's as hot, been 100-103 here!!!

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
Great info!!!!

Are you seeing any knock, like one tune vs the other? Any spikes in knock or gradual climb during WOT?

And I would love the 80's as hot, been 100-103 here!!!
I’m seeing knock only when it’s hot. Otherwise not really seeing anything significant thankfully.

Haha yeah it was closer to 90 today but yeah.

Reactions: TOWMA8R

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I’m seeing knock only when it’s hot. Otherwise not really seeing anything significant thankfully.

Haha yeah it was closer to 90 today but yeah.
Any tune worse than the other, say boostking vs mpt or torrie

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
Any tune worse than the other, say boostking vs mpt or torrie
Mmm, Torries tune seems to show less knock than Brett’s maybe, but I’m not for certain, I haven’t actually looked. MPTs tune was running more timing, I could hear it in the engine sound compared to Brett’s tune.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 ·
Here’s an update!!! Boy did I get excited!

Torrie from unleashed has begun to unleash the beast in this truck. It made 47 lb/min tonight with 18 psi at 6300 rpm (stock turbos would never do that). Also wastegate at redline was at 25% open. That is the most horsepower I have ever made with the truck. It felt wicked fast, and I am very excited to get on a dyno soon after we mess with it a little more.

401 - 420 of 572 Posts