F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
601 - 620 of 651 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 ·
I just want to know if you pulled the fuel pump fuse or if you took a 91 octane shower
I took a shower. Just covered the line with a towel. It wasn’t bad at all just spurted a bit for a second or two then calmed down. I didn’t swallow any or get bathed in it. It was fine.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
Well folks, I’m officially living in Lone Tree Colorado now. Drove up this morning and moved into the apartment. And…. You better believe I went and filled up with some e85 tonight! My math wasn’t too bad, ended up settling at e43 for the time being. Throwing Torries new tune on this very moment as I’m typing this and gonna go datalog it. Can’t wait to see what this spicy unit will do!
Gas pump Gasoline Gas Fuel Machine

Car Speedometer Vehicle Automotive lighting Light

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
Welcome to the Jungle!

More Corn Juice available here:
34 Centennial Blvd, Highlands Ranch, CO 80126
Thanks!

ooooh yum, I like 🌽 🌽

·
Moderstrator
2,391 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 ·
hello guys….

so, everything was going good with the truck, until Torrie told me I’m running out of injector past 6000 rpm. My guess is the turbos are pushing so much air, and the fuel system can’t keep up. Either I need more enrichment, or I need less ethanol. I don’t want to go less ethanol, but I’m going to be forced to.

Injectors are 2000$ and fuel system upgrades are 2000$ as well. That’s 4000$ in upgrades to a truck with 73k miles with a 2.7 v6 in it.

In other words, my expectations for this truck are exceeding what it’s actually capable of.

My mind drifted to upgrading to a 3.5L, but I have since raised the bar a bit, and want a 5.0 with a whipple supercharger. There’s so much more gains to be had in a more “safe” way on a much more capable engine. I love the Ecoboost world, but I feel my time in this world has drawn to a close for a time.

I’ve been bitten by the number chasing game, and my little mini v6 just isn’t doing what I want it to do. And I’m afraid it’s going to let go at some point and then I’ll be in a serious bind.

Anyway, I will update you all as I move forward.

·
Moderstrator
2,391 Posts
How much are you thinking of selling your truck for?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
How much are you thinking of selling your truck for?
well, I would probably tear it apart and return to stock, unless someone offered me enough for it so it would be worth it. What do you think it’s worth?

I’m really sad, but it’s just the way things are. I wouldn’t want to do a 3.5L because I’m going to want to max it out too, and it’ll be unsafe as well. I want reliable power.

·
Moderstrator
2,391 Posts
If it was me and I was going to sell it, I would first try to sell with the mods - as is. Can it really be returned to stock?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #611 ·
If it was me and I was going to sell it, I would first try to sell with the mods - as is. Can it really be returned to stock?
It can, yes. It can be returned to stock, but of course, it would require me to swap the turbos. And the exhaust would never be stock.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Moderstrator
4,680 Posts
This is just my 2 cents so don't take it to the bank.

In my opinion there will be more money in your pocket if you can sell the HiPo pieces without the truck. People that are looking for HiPo parts know what they are after and appreciate just that and are willing to pay for it. People that are simply in the market to buy a nice truck don't necessarily appreciate those goodies and just see the truck as having the pieces needed to run. Why should they have to pay a premium to have pieces need to make the truck run?

Virtually no one unless their hands were actually included in the build or know you personally will give you what you have invested lock, stock and barrel in a built vehicle. In fact, many consider this as detrimental as they don't know if the engine has already been pushed too hard and they are inheriting someone else's future problems.

If the parts you pull off are in top-notch shape you could expect 50% to 75% of new value plus the truck will go for what I would assume is a higher book truck on its own merit. Kelly and NADA simply don't account for the add-on pieces on the truck.

If it were me and I was in your shoes, I'd pull the pieces before any potential buyer actually saw them on the truck. That isn't to suggest you would deceive anyone, but buyers want to know the truck runs as an F150 EcoBoost should run, just as it did when new with the OE parts on it.

By the way, one last question, have you gotten the opinion of more than one Tuner as to whether these are your only options?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
This is just my 2 cents so don't take it to the bank.

In my opinion there will be more money in your pocket if you can sell the HiPo pieces without the truck. People that are looking for HiPo parts know what they are after and appreciate just that and are willing to pay for it. People that are simply in the market to buy a nice truck don't necessarily appreciate those goodies and just see the truck as having the pieces needed to run. Why should they have to pay a premium to have pieces need to make the truck run?

Virtually no one unless their hands were actually included in the build or know you personally will give you what you have invested lock, stock and barrel in a built vehicle. In fact, many consider this as detrimental as they don't know if the engine has already been pushed too hard and they are inheriting someone else's future problems.

If the parts you pull off are in top-notch shape you could expect 50% to 75% of new value plus the truck will go for what I would assume is a higher book truck on its own merit. Kelly and NADA simply don't account for the add-on pieces on the truck.

If it were me and I was in your shoes, I'd pull the pieces before any potential buyer actually saw them on the truck. That isn't to suggest you would deceive anyone, but buyers want to know the truck runs as an F150 EcoBoost should run, just as it did when new with the OE parts on it.

By the way, one last question, have you gotten the opinion of more than one Tuner as to whether these are your only options?
No, I haven’t. But I trust Torrie. He said we need to go down to E30. And I will, but I would just love to be in a 5.0 with a supercharger.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
A Yote with twin turbos would be a Monster.
Yeah. We’ll see how this e30 tune goes. I just feel like my expectation keeps increasing, and what I’m getting in return isn’t what I want.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·
It's true, it's all about expectations and all things mechanical have their limitations.
Yeah. At some point I have to say enough is enough though.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,668 Posts
You should ante up for a track day somewhere and go drive a Porsche or a Mustang or..... Whatever the class/school offers.
I know it sounds unrelated. Lol

But it isn't. Not really.

That itch you are now DESTINED to scratch IS going to get scratched one way or another. You're just wired for it.

My point being is that you MUST go fast. A fast that YOU yourself are stunned/amazed/overwhelmed by.

I'm not saying it will nip the itch in the bud. It won't. But there's a really good chance it will change the perspective. You'll always enjoy performance, even more in fact.
But you will perhaps tame that beast? :)

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,937 Posts
Snake's advise is dead on point.

The platform, as equipped, has it's limitations, Weight and aerodynamics the biggest to overcome. Diminishing returns are part of every project.
The idea of renting track time and vehicle is also recommended. Exhilarating and at the same time frightening and humbling. Had my own session and the fright and humbling tampered the exhilaration. You may be affected a different way. A GREAT teaching experience on it's own.

Enough old guy on the mountain stuff. Go have some fun! Remember to get back (here) to relate the experiances! KM

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 ·
Thank you guys for the encouragement.

601 - 620 of 651 Posts