F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
many seem to be a little disappointed with the fuel mlg of these truck , while i don't have mine yet
still another 5 week before dealer gets mine
why not make a tune to turn down boost
I've read 16 psi stock , so for Eco driving and daily commute , why no drop it to say 8 psi use less fuel when just driving around town and stuff , and when the extra power is needed turn it back up

again I'm new to these truck and yes we all want way more power but i was just think about it

·
Registered
537 Posts
There is a tune available that does just that offered by a couple of tuners. I feel the problem is that once you taste the juice of Eco Power, you don't care if the Beast sucks, sips, or guzzles the fuel. While the Eco may not deliver as high MPG as many expect, it does deliver much higher GPG (Grins per Gallon) than ever believed possible.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a tune available that does just that offered by a couple of tuners. I feel the problem is that once you taste the juice of Eco Power, you don't care if the Beast sucks, sips, or guzzles the fuel. While the Eco may not deliver as high MPG as many expect, it does deliver much higher GPG (Grins per Gallon) than ever believed possible.
i would have to agree with you
witch tuner ofer this type of tune
and for some that are a little ofset but the the gas mlg this can be a fix
it's not like you can't put paoer back in when you need/want it

·
Registered
537 Posts
I know that MPT (More Power Tuning) does offer the choice of an Economy Tune as does Mike at Five Star Tuning.. The program as explained to me from 5 Star will keep the boost limited so as to not require more fuel being fed providing un-needed power under normal driving conditions. It does however if WOT (wide open throttle) is detected override the program and allow 18 pounds of boost giving you that needed extra push of power and acceleration for those time when emergence kick in the pants power delivery is demanded. It also adjust your shift points to a more conservative MPG pattern. I guess the thought behind the tune is to not allow for over aggressive delivery of power.

I have heard great reviews on both of the above tuners mentioned and had planned to order from 5 Star. However MPT offered the tuner with 3 custom tunes along with the 3 basic canned tunes from SCT for $100 less. Where as the 5 Star only included the 3 custom tunes.

And yes, one of the tunes ordered is the Economy Tune, but I have not loaded it or tried it out. So I cannot offer any first person review of it at this time.

·
Registered
537 Posts
On a side note, not tuner related. But, MPG related. After the installation of my 2" front leveling Rancho Loaded suspension, I have noticed a drop in MPG. It would appear that the raked look of the F150 that many owners do not care for is in turn a air flow MPG enhancement by design. Raising the frontend places the front of the truck straight forward into the on coming wind creating one large wind block rather than a wind deflecting surface.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
understanding , Ive been told many grate thing of 5 star , lots of my friend with v10 RV and trucks , and diesels truck say 5 star is the way to go , see 26 mlg on 6.4 f250 , would never believe it if i didn't see it

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mike @ 5 Star has a very strong following with the V10 crowd. I was always on the fence about letting him do a tune on my 2006 F250 V10. But, when it comes to gas vehicles a lot of the tune benefits are directly effected with the tune of the transmission program. And being my V10 was a 6 speed manual I just didn't see the HP/TQ vs the $ equation in my favor.

Now with the turbo setup in the Ecoboost and an automatic the tune value is a given $ per smile return all day long.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I get about 18 mpg with a Livernois tune. It's performance though. Their tow tune is supposed to be the "limiting tune."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get about 18 mpg with a Livernois tune. It's performance though. Their tow tune is supposed to be the "limiting tune."

i have delt with the guys over at livernois many time over the years , i've had s few mustang's with stuff from them
heads , cams , intake , full crate motors , etc, so a tuner from them should be very good set up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
bluejeaneco
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing