F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without installing a boost gauge, how can I see how much the boost reads. Will my sct tuner log that?

·
Registered
152 Posts
You would think Ford would put that info on the screen of the dash - like on the same screen where the transmission temp can be seen. The big brother Super Duty diesels all have boost gauges.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I agree, it's annoying these trucks don't come with a gauge or readout.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Without installing a boost gauge, how can I see how much the boost reads. Will my sct tuner log that?
Yes.
You can use the live link software and data log it.
Or get an obd dongle with Bluetooth and hook it up to an android device and rung the torque pro app...

·
Registered
475 Posts
I use an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge, it will display boost and about 15 other things if you set it up correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes.
You can use the live link software and data log it.
Or get an obd dongle with Bluetooth and hook it up to an android device and rung the torque pro app...
I think I will go this route just because I like gadgets to look at while traveling. I already have an old Android bluetooth capable phone gathering dust.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I use a Bluetooth Dongle and Torque Pro for Android. I have a old but still working original Galaxy Note that I put in my cradle on my dash. This only reads at the MAP sensor however. Only a gauge will read 100% accurate IMO.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I use a Bluetooth Dongle and Torque Pro for Android. I have a old but still working original Galaxy Note that I put in my cradle on my dash. This only reads at the MAP sensor however. Only a gauge will read 100% accurate IMO.
If the truck isn't utilizing accurate sensors, the whole world crumbles.

At that point, what good is a standalone boost gauge?

·
Registered
608 Posts
If the truck isn't utilizing accurate sensors, the whole world crumbles.

At that point, what good is a standalone boost gauge?
My point is that "T-ing" into a vac line is going to read actual boost vs. what the ECU is commanding.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My point is that "T-ing" into a vac line is going to read actual boost vs. what the ECU is commanding.
Won't reading the intake vacuum from the ECU give me the actual boost?

Reactions: scap99

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is live data, not commanded... View attachment 7819
Do you have a gauge though? Without one, I don't think there is any way to verify that this actually an accurate # (IMO.) I'm not doubting you, just going off what I've been told.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Do you have a gauge though? Without one, I don't think there is any way to verify that this actually an accurate # (IMO.) I'm not doubting you, just going off what I've been told.
You're right, there is no way to verify, without a mechanical gauge.
However, the truck operates off what it thinks it sees. Add long as it shows me what it's looking at, I'm 100% comfortable with that.
The Torque app lines up with the data logs, and the a tuner uses these values, as well, to dial a truck in...

Devil's advocate...if the app and mechanical gauge showed different values, which one do you trust?

When I did controls work, in a previous life, we calibrated gauges constantly. It didn't take much banging around to get them to lose their calibration.

·
Registered
475 Posts
At one time I ran both the Aeroforce and a mechanical boost gauge, although they were pretty close the mechanical gauge could not be zero'd and never read zero even with the engine killed. The Aeroforce sees what the ECU thinks it is seeing and in the end that's really all that matters to me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Either you are misunderstanding what you were told or you were told a lie... MAP sensors read manifold pressure (Manifold Absolute Pressure) and do it very accurately. The MAP sensor in our trucks does not "command" anything, it relays the total manifold pressure to the ECU so that the ECU can determine; along with data from the MAF sensor, Oxygen sensors and a host of other contributing sensors, what the ignition and fuel systems need to do in order to maintain optimal air/fuel ratios.
As stated above, the MAP sensor is every bit as accurate as a manual gauge. The only draw back to a MAP sensor is when you eclipse it's monitoring voltage maximum, it will stop relaying boost increases. So if you have a 1.5 BAR MAP sensor, it will reach it's voltage max and stop showing boost increases at 22 PSI. If you eclipse 22 PSI, you'll never know it because the MAP sensor will be "pegged."
I'm not certain where the factory MAP sensors in our trucks peg, but I'd venture to say that they are at least 1.5 BAR sensors since a 1 BAR would be pegged a 14.5 psi, not far above the factory boost peaks.

Reactions: btswein

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Either you are misunderstanding what you were told or you were told a lie... MAP sensors read manifold pressure (Manifold Absolute Pressure) and do it very accurately. The MAP sensor in our trucks does not "command" anything, it relays the total manifold pressure to the ECU so that the ECU can determine; along with data from the MAF sensor, Oxygen sensors and a host of other contributing sensors, what the ignition and fuel systems need to do in order to maintain optimal air/fuel ratios.
As stated above, the MAP sensor is every bit as accurate as a manual gauge. The only draw back to a MAP sensor is when you eclipse it's monitoring voltage maximum, it will stop relaying boost increases. So if you have a 1.5 BAR MAP sensor, it will reach it's voltage max and stop showing boost increases at 22 PSI. If you eclipse 22 PSI, you'll never know it because the MAP sensor will be "pegged."
I'm not certain where the factory MAP sensors in our trucks peg, but I'd venture to say that they are at least 1.5 BAR sensors since a 1 BAR would be pegged a 14.5 psi, not far above the factory boost peaks.
I thought I heard something about the one in the intake plenum being a 3 bar sensor...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts