F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven’t made a thread in a bit (haha, seems I’m always full of silly questions) but in all seriousness, what are y’all’s opinions on water methanol injection?
A lot of you guys know my situation here in the Colorado mountains at 7300’ there’s little oxygen and terrible 91 fuel. Closest e85 or anything higher than 91 is hours and hours away, so I’m screwed on doing some e50 blends or anything. Next thing I know what is a possibility is adding boostane, or some kind of octane booster. I am told that gets expensive, and I don’t think i want to be adding that to my 91 gas all the time, not to mention having to order online and the whole 9 yards. But, last thing I thought of, and I’ve contemplated this before, and turned down the idea for many reasons, but given my situation, meth Injection might not be a bad idea.
It reduces (or takes away completely, I can’t remember, correct me if I’m wrong) detonation, thus allowing you to tune the engine for more timing hence, more power without increasing the octane of the fuel.
That’s the good news.
The bad part is I’ve been told it’s only good for a racing situation, and not so good for daily driver. Now, here’s the thing, I drive my truck to work (about 10 minutes away) park it and then in the evening I drive home (with the occasional small trip). I do not drive hours a day or anything. Also I’ve heard that the other potential problem is lined getting clogged, or running out of meth, then it’s slightly dangerous because the engine is running lots of timing on a crappier fuel and if you lost that meth it could be disastrous.
Not sure if that’s something I should consider doing or not, but I’m open to hear y’all’s comments.

I apologize for being long winded 😝

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Boostane is $60 for two 32 oz bottles on amazon. One bottle with bump 188 gallons from 91 to 94 or 35 gallons from 91 to 98.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boostane is $60 for two 32 oz bottles on amazon. One bottle with bump 188 gallons from 91 to 94 or 35 gallons from 91 to 98.
So if I’m paying around 70$ to fill my 21 gallon tank and I used half a 32 oz bottle, that’s an extra 15$, but where would that put me?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Using mass-hole's math, looks like you could 1/10th of a bottle to bring 18.8 gallons of 91 to 94 - so an extra three bucks. Cheap, and you wouldn't have to be ordering every week. That might be a good solution.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
So if I’m paying around 70$ to fill my 21 gallon tank and I used half a 32 oz bottle, that’s an extra 15$, but where would that put me?

Somewhere between 94 and 98?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Boostane is great stuff. Used it for a while when Brett and I were tackling some KR issues.

It helped quite a bit during the winter gas phases.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Using mass-hole's math, looks like you could 1/10th of a bottle to bring 18.8 gallons of 91 to 94 - so an extra three bucks. Cheap, and you wouldn't have to be ordering every week. That might be a good solution.
Yeah, except my tank is 23 gallon or something, so I would like to make 23 gallons into 94

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boostane is great stuff. Used it for a while when Brett and I were tackling some KR issues.

It helped quite a bit during the winter gas phases.
You think that would be a bad idea to use it all the time?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I mean as long as you pour in the additive before fueling up, shouldn’t have any issues at all. Overall just needs to be mixed in well. Boostane is probably the safest octane booster out of the bunch.

You can always try a couple bottles of it and see how the truck reacts.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mean as long as you pour in the additive before fueling up, shouldn’t have any issues at all. Overall just needs to be mixed in well. Boostane is probably the safest octane booster out of the bunch.

You can always try a couple bottles of it and see how the truck reacts.
Yeah I’m gonna order a two pack, and see what that does.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
4 oz per 23 gallon fill should get you to ~94. So a 32 oz bottle should last you 8 tanks, or around $3.5 per tank vs the ~$75 it probably costs you to fill it right now? So less than 5%.

That does not seem unbearably expensive. In fact, now that I have crunched the numbers I may run this stuff when I tow to max out timing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4 oz per 23 gallon fill should get you to ~94. So a 32 oz bottle should last you 8 tanks, or around $3.5 per tank vs the ~$75 it probably costs you to fill it right now? So less than 5%.

That does not seem unbearably expensive. In fact, now that I have crunched the numbers I may run this stuff when I tow to max out timing.
Wow. That’s feasible. I ordered a 2-pack, so I will give it a try and see how my truck likes it.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Wow. That’s feasible. I ordered a 2-pack, so I will give it a try and see how my truck likes it.
The have an iphone app that does the match for you. I actually just ran it for a 23 gallon tank and it says 5.5 oz which I don't entirely understand. If 32 oz treats 187.5 gallons, 4 oz should treat 23.

4oz/32oz x 187.5 gallons = 23.4 gallons.

IDK. Either way they have an app to do the math for you.

EDIT: NVM, the difference is in which product you use. The Proffesional grade is what I posted above and that will treat 23 gallons with 4 oz. The Premium needs more.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The have an iphone app that does the match for you. I actually just ran it for a 23 gallon tank and it says 5.5 oz which I don't entirely understand. If 32 oz treats 187.5 gallons, 4 oz should treat 23.

4oz/32oz x 187.5 gallons = 23.4 gallons.

IDK. Either way they have an app to do the math for you.

EDIT: NVM, the difference is in which product you use. The Proffesional grade is what I posted above and that will treat 23 gallons with 4 oz. The Premium needs more.
Wait, so 91 octane needs 5.5 oz or did I misunderstand?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It depends what version of Boostane you get.
Also I’m seeing a lot of people saying boostane turns everything orange, spark plugs, cats, and o2 sensors.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
It’s a byproduct of MMT. Boostane is the only additive that uses the least amount of it. If you go heavy on the mixture then you will see some trace of “orange”. Otherwise you shouldn’t notice a thing.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts