F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah so that one is 4 oz. the premium(street legal) version is 5.5 oz
Ok. So I’ll just need to get a little measuring cup and pour it in before I fuel up.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Mine just came in.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I used the boostane app and calculated my mixture and I will need 3.8 ounces, so basically 4 to make it easy to measure. If I wanted to add some to a partial tank of gas and then filled up the rest of the way would that mix the boostane in there pretty good?

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Are any of you going to "test" it's effectiveness?

Like logging a tankful without Boostane, and then with Boostane and how much it reduced Knock Retard.

On my truck and our crap gas, I am using E85 and found around an E20, I reduce ALL knock. My KR is either 0 or negative. And my OAR is -1.94 (been awhile). Above E20, it's just for extra power from the ethanol.

If I ever get a chance to go back on a dyno. I would love to test on my truck using the STOCK tune, the best crap gas we have (our Chevron 94 which is more like 91.1), then immediately do a run with E20 in the tank (just to correct KR), and see if there is any power increase.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Like logging a tankful without Boostane, and then with Boostane and how much it reduced Knock Retard.

On my truck and our crap gas, I am using E85 and found around an E20, I reduce ALL knock. My KR is either 0 or negative. And my OAR is -1.94 (been awhile). Above E20, it's just for extra power from the ethanol.

If I ever get a chance to go back on a dyno. I would love to test on my truck using the STOCK tune, the best crap gas we have (our Chevron 94 which is more like 91.1), then immediately do a run with E20 in the tank (just to correct KR), and see if there is any power increase.
I have a few logs on my crap 91 that I can share. One is from 3rd gear to redline. I’ll be getting some logs with the boostane to see what the difference is

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

It would be tough to do a 1:1 comparison. There are so many timing adjusters in the tune for things like IAT, ECT, Lambda etc that it would be tough to know the exact changes tank to tank.

I know when the weather started to get warmer here my OAR dropped from being pegged at -1 to around -.5. Even though they have the IAT compensator in there to adjust to boarderline tables, apparently it doesn't pull timing fast enough to keep it at a -1 as things get warm. Even after towing my trailer for 2.5 hours last Friday it never worked its way back to a -1.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I added some boostane to the tank and topped it off and the results are already taking affect. OAR has adjusted from -.47 to -.78

For you guys who know more than me, should I expect to see it get even better than -.78 as time goes on?

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I like to be careful with the OAR until it's had sometime to accumulate.

I found with OAR that I could have negatives for a very long time, especially under certain conditions.

Then I could do a few stoplights and doing city traffic. All of the sudden my -OAR would go + and stay there.

To test the effectiveness of ethanol (when my Livewire was working), I would drive around normal for 1 week. Then increase my Ethanol%, and drive for another week. Then I had a better gauge of the effectiveness of adding ethanol.

And of course, I would do a couple of standing starts at my "favorite place", and I would compare my KR with Ethanol vs pure gas. This is with the OAR locked, as it can affect your KR displayed. (A high negative OAR had a more positive KR, while a high positive OAR had negative KRs all over) Just something I observed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I literally screamed when I saw the OAR adjust again today!! -.92!
I did a 3 hour trip today and it adjusted at the end of the trip. Also my mileage went up from 19 to 19.8. But I’m super happy to see the truck runs so good tuned on that little trip. I’m just stoked

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I literally screamed when I saw the OAR adjust again today!! -.92!
I did a 3 hour trip today and it adjusted at the end of the trip. Also my mileage went up from 19 to 19.8. But I’m super happy to see the truck runs so good tuned on that little trip. I’m just stoked View attachment 172455
If you hold the gas down enough so that the KR is active for 6 seconds straight it should adjust the oar immediately after

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If you hold the gas down enough so that the KR is active for 6 seconds straight it should adjust the oar immediately after
I figured that out. I think I had to have more than 20% throttle for it to make the KR active

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I dont know what my wife found for gas buts its absolute cow manure. It was a Sinclair station, which has 88 octane free as their “premium” fuel. I had my wife put a little in the tank just so we could get the truck home from the campground this last weekend since it was about 80 miles with no stations. Im guessing she mixed about 50:50 this stuff with the 91 Exxon that was in the tank.

Anyways, once we got the truck home I basically didnt drive it. Today we took it into town to pick up some mulch and my OAR hit +1 and my KR was +5 and +6 for long stretches. I about pulled over.

Anyways, im trying to get everything I can out of the tank before I pump in some fresh 91 and the Boostane. Ive gotten Sinclair fuel before and had bad results(we have one in town along with an Exxon and Chevron), but this was horrific.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I dont know what my wife found for gas buts its absolute cow manure. It was a Sinclair station, which has 88 octane free as their “premium” fuel. I had my wife put a little in the tank just so we could get the truck home from the campground this last weekend since it was about 80 miles with no stations. Im guessing she mixed about 50:50 this stuff with the 91 Exxon that was in the tank.

Anyways, once we got the truck home I basically didnt drive it. Today we took it into town to pick up some mulch and my OAR hit +1 and my KR was +5 and +6 for long stretches. I about pulled over.

Anyways, im trying to get everything I can out of the tank before I pump in some fresh 91 and the Boostane. Ive gotten Sinclair fuel before and had bad results(we have one in town along with an Exxon and Chevron), but this was horrific.
Holy crap that’s terrible. Man that is definitely some bad gas for sure.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I feel for you @mass-hole. Around 25 years ago, I had just started dating this lady and we took a little road trip. I went into the washroom, and she surprised me by filling up my nearly empty tank with gas. Unfortunately it was regular while my car was tuned for premium (which I think was better back then in my area).

I could barely accelerate without having audible knock occurring (not just knock sensor). I drove in 2nd to burn as much gas as possible and keep the load as light as possible on the engine. I kept topping so I could at least get the knocking to stop ... and just really babied the engine (any accelerating and it would still knock). I was so glad when I finally got our best gas back into my tank.

Oh yeah, she did make it up to me.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I feel for you @mass-hole. Around 25 years ago, I had just started dating this lady and we took a little road trip. I went into the washroom, and she surprised me by filling up my nearly empty tank with gas. Unfortunately it was regular while my car was tuned for premium (which I think was better back then in my area).

I could barely accelerate without having audible knock occurring (not just knock sensor). I drove in 2nd to burn as much gas as possible and keep the load as light as possible on the engine. I kept topping so I could at least get the knocking to stop ... and just really babied the engine (any accelerating and it would still knock). I was so glad when I finally got our best gas back into my tank.

Oh yeah, she did make it up to me.
My wife knows, its just that 88 was all she could get.

This stuff must have been really bad though. Because even mixed with 91 it still went to +1. I think there is still a few gallons in the tank but i plan to fill tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
@mass-hole I assume there is no E85 available. Have you considered adding pure Methanol to boost up the octane? That was what I was using (Methanol) until there was an E85 station built where my father lives (and soon in my town).

I was doing M20 to control the knock on our "best gas", Chevron 94 (which is just a bit better than 91). US 92 beats our Chevron 94 all to hell.

Unfortunately, that is the problem of the BIG 36 Gallon tank. Lots of fuel to burn off.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I need to figure out how to get this Boostane in the tank without making a huge mess. The bottle comes with a spout, but there is no way to meter it as the bottle is not graduated. So I tried to pour it into the fill tube from another container that I measured it out with and that was a mess. Not sure how much I actually got in the tank.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I need to figure out how to get this Boostane in the tank without making a huge mess. The bottle comes with a spout, but there is no way to meter it as the bottle is not graduated. So I tried to pour it into the fill tube from another container that I measured it out with and that was a mess. Not sure how much I actually got in the tank.
I am having the same trouble.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts