F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going with a devil's own kit. Had one on my Lightning and loved it. What size nozzles are recommended on the 18 eco's?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Pretty sure everyone is going to tell you not to do meth unless its purely for lowering IAT’s

Reactions: Turbocoupe

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would second what mass said. Guys used to do meth on the ecos a lot a few years ago but no one really bothers now that e85 blends etc and better HPFP's have been developed

Reactions: Turbocoupe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i agree for the most part. I would much rather run E85 but that is not an option for me being the closest station is an hour away. I wish i could run it.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Yes i agree for the most part. I would much rather run E85 but that is not an option for me being the closest station is an hour away. I wish i could run it.
Consider what I do - I have a dozen 5 gal Gerry Cans. There is an E85 station near where family live (200+miles away). When I visit them, I fill all the Gerry Cans, and then blend it at my home whenever I am about to do a fillup.

As soon as my modified LPFP goes in and I can burn straight E85, then I will just fill my tank at home at whatever ratio I chose to run. My tuner and I are going to do a number of tunes from E30, E40, E50 & straight E85 (actual E65).

The reason so many people are avoiding Meth Setups is because of the risk due to Meth Pump failures. Meth is even more corrosive than ethanol, and I suspect the pumps they use is not really able to handle high concentrations of methanol.

PS: It seems more guys go with SNOW over Devil's Own. I cannot comment on the differences and advantages of each. But there are plenty of posts on it. Including the best place to put the nozzle (not in an adapter in the throttle body ... doesn't mix well there. Guys are tapping into the middle of the intake between the CAC & the TB - better mixing).

·
Registered
860 Posts
Consider what I do - I have a dozen 5 gal Gerry Cans. There is an E85 station near where family live (200+miles away). When I visit them, I fill all the Gerry Cans, and then blend it at my home whenever I am about to do a fillup.
So... you're transporting 60 gallons (about 420lbs.) of E85 over public roadways, for hundreds of miles? 49 CFR 177.870 would like a word with you...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate it grim. Im just not going to go through all that trouble to do that with this truck. I have been racing half my life and if i was going to go through all that, it would not be with this truck, it would be for one of my builds that is actually fast. I do love this truck, and it is quick (quicker than any other stock trucks on the road) but not fast and still a V6.

Been running meth on a few builds with my last being my Lightning as it was just a weekend toy when i am not running my car. 2.8l Kenne Bell, built motor and Ported/polished JDM heads and grocery list more and she loved meth. Would pick up one tire on launch. Do not care at all for snow and def not going to get into that right now, but just prefer DO.

Meth is just pretty easy and i know it works and this is a fairly strong fun truck and i just want to throw some gas in it and enjoy.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
So... you're transporting 60 gallons (about 420lbs.) of E85 over public roadways, for hundreds of miles? 49 CFR 177.870 would like a word with you...
Sorry, wrong country. Those rules don't mean a thing here, and I have no interest in travelling to the US at this time.

In fact, many Canadians (when the fuel prices are cheap in the US), will go into the US to buy cheap fuel and bring it back into Canada. As long as it is properly secured, the Government is fine with it when they declare it at the Border.

Frankly, I would prefer a drum, but I don't have the machinery to load/unload a full drum.

FYI, we have lots of Corporate trucks that transport fuel on a regular basis among various job sites. And they often go over Government scales all the time, where everything is inspected.

The key is how you have them tied down, and secured. And of course, when I am driving with the fuel, I drive under the speed limit to let everyone pass me and avoid accidents.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sorry, wrong country. Those rules don't mean a thing here, and I have no interest in travelling to the US at this time.

In fact, many Canadians (when the fuel prices are cheap in the US), will go into the US to buy cheap fuel and bring it back into Canada. As long as it is properly secured, they are fine with it.

Frankly, I would prefer a drum, but I don't have the machinery to load/unload a full drum.

FYI, we have lots of Corporate trucks that transport fuel on a regular basis among various job sites. And they often go over Government scales all the time, where everything is inspected.

The key is how you have them tied down, and secured. And of course, when I am driving with the fuel, I drive under the speed limit to let everyone pass me and avoid accidents.
Meanwhile, I just had to spend $300 for a gas can going on a heavy brush truck that is DOT-rated (has a roll cage around the valve assembly). At least we still have our guns... for now 🙄

If you're doing that frequently, I'd be looking into an in-bed tank. Probably make life easier.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Meanwhile, I just had to spend $300 for a gas can going on a heavy brush truck that is DOT-rated (has a roll cage around the valve assembly). At least we still have our guns... for now 🙄

If you're doing that frequently, I'd be looking into an in-bed tank. Probably make life easier.
What will make my life easier is for that Company to begin selling E85 locally. The Company just recently began selling E85 last January, and now have opened two more stations.

They do have a station where I live, but not yet planning on selling it. They need to do a market study to see if there is sufficient business for them.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
FYI, I just checked the regulations for transporting fuel in 5 Gallon Gerry Cans.

1 Gallon of E85 weighs 6.59 lbs @ 60 gallons = 395.4lbs.

In Canada we can transport up to 440 lbs or 63 Gallons in 5 Gallon Gerry Cans before we are in violation of Transport Canada rules. Of course, the Gerry Cans must be securely fastened.

But 60 Gallons of E85 do not exceed rules in Canada, and why our Company has had no issues with the Government Weigh Stations when transporting fuel.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
There are no gas police in here.
It is a very good point though, and something for people to think about, because I know there are a lot of people around my area travelling down to load up on E85 because it is so hard to get (and so cheap too).

I am lucky that I am close but not over the limit. But I also realize that if I were to get one more Gerry Can, then I would exceed the limit. And it becoming an issue should I get into an accident (and become one hell of a fireball - hell of a way to get on the Nightly News). That is why I drive slowly back, to minimize the risk of any accidents.

I have always been careful to make sure all the Gerry Cans are securely fastened so they can't move, shift, spill or whatever. Nothing worse than getting home, opening up my bed to get the Gerry Cans, and finding out half fell over and spilled all their fuel.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Nothing worse than getting home, opening up my bed to get the Gerry Cans, and finding out half fell over and spilled all their fuel.
Ummmmmmm, how do you know?

Just messin

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have always been careful to make sure all the Gerry Cans are securely fastened so they can't move, shift, spill or whatever. Nothing worse than getting home, opening up my bed to get the Gerry Cans, and finding out half fell over and spilled all their fuel.
There's one thing worse. Fighting a car fire when some yahoo has installed a 100+ gal. cross-bed tank in his truck... and filled it with gas rather than diesel. It gets real funny (and real warm) for a minute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts