F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now, most of you have heard of Ford's proposed move to stop supporting Microsoft in their vehicles and to install Blackberry in its place for the MyFordTouch platform. If this this does turn out to be true, would it affect your decision to purchase or trade in your truck for this new software?

According to the media, this would be a similar platform to VW and BMW voice activated systems. Does anyone have opinions on how this system works?

Will Ford offer to install this new platform on our existing trucks (for an additional cost of course)?

Ford will need to hit a home run with the new BB based system so I am really looking forward to how the platform works.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That has been claimed by "unknown sources" but given BlackBerry's dismal performance since 2008, seems most unlikely. BlackBerry is a Canadian company and the reports have come from the Canadian Press. It appears to be an attempt to give BlackBerry a shot in the arm.

Example: Can Nokia Save BlackBerry? - BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - 24/7 Wall St.

BTW, Sync in my 2013 seems flawless. I did read the directions. ;-)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Lol, why would you want BB anything? I'd prefer an android platform TBH. Google maps, google voice, google now, and of course all the apps w/ custom home screens on the nav and then whatever you wanted displayed on the dash.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree with n00g 200% however I doubt ford would do that either considering they wouldn't give that much freedom to the user!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I agree with n00g 200% however I doubt ford would do that either considering they wouldn't give that much freedom to the user!
Someone will do it soon enough.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I wont complain if it does!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Android integrated with the ECU and the Torque Pro app on the nav screen.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If it is true. . .

That has been claimed by "unknown sources" but given BlackBerry's dismal performance since 2008, seems most unlikely. BlackBerry is a Canadian company and the reports have come from the Canadian Press. It appears to be an attempt to give BlackBerry a shot in the arm.

Example: Can Nokia Save BlackBerry? - BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - 24/7 Wall St.

BTW, Sync in my 2013 seems flawless. I did read the directions. ;-)

I think the author gave his idea that it is really a shot at M$ for snubbing the current Ford CEO. I would separate Blackberry the device from a different technology that the company purchased by buying another company.

I do agree that Sync itself works pretty well, but the MFT isn't the best ease of use system I have ever seen. I also hope, they make whatever it becomes available as an update to current owners, but I doubt it.

Reactions: RubyTues

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
2camches might know more about bb's involvement, he's Canadian. Pretty sure he knows bieber too

·
Registered
8 Posts
By now, most of you have heard of Ford's proposed move to stop supporting Microsoft in their vehicles and to install Blackberry in its place for the MyFordTouch platform. If this this does turn out to be true, would it affect your decision to purchase or trade in your truck for this new software?

According to the media, this would be a similar platform to VW and BMW voice activated systems. Does anyone have opinions on how this system works?

Will Ford offer to install this new platform on our existing trucks (for an additional cost of course)?

Ford will need to hit a home run with the new BB based system so I am really looking forward to how the platform works.
Blackberry owns QNX. QNX is a RTOS which is used in many fields, and is fantastic (I've developed on it/used it before). Rock solid.

To me, this is a huge step forward over MS. The real question is how well Ford will do regarding development of the front-end, on top of QNX. Even though QNX is awesome, if Ford does a terrible job designing the front-end/applications/etc, it could still end up horrible. QNX itself, though, is great. I'm also curious about QNX given how BB itself is doing. If the company goes bankrupt, it'll be interesting to see where the assets will end up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts