F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting misfire Data under idle only.
While in park while idling the truck has miss Data and cylinder 4 and 1 seem to be the worse already put new plugs coiled ext all ford oem gaped 28 ext.

ive attached pictures of my scanner shows the miss only while it’s idling over 15-45 mins

no codes next I’m thinking of changing the injectors all 6 maybe please let me know if any one came Across changing injectors or symptoms

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,972 Posts
I’m getting misfire Data under idle only.
While in park while idling the truck has miss Data and cylinder 4 and 1 seem to be the worse already put new plugs coiled ext all ford oem gaped 28 ext.

ive attached pictures of my scanner shows the miss only while it’s idling over 15-45 mins

no codes next I’m thinking of changing the injectors all 6 maybe please let me know if any one came Across changing injectors or symptoms

View attachment 169375
Are you tuned ? Mods ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mods no tuner all factory driving me nuts no codes just data but this should have any misses on idle on the scanner .

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Try some SP-580 plugs, gapped at .030. Clean all the intake sensors. Do you have the brown PCV valve ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The highest i see is 35 counts. Did it take the aforementioned 15 to 45 minutes to count 35? Thats nothing to be concerned about if so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea it took about an hour for this data so your telling me if I plug my scanner into another f150 it should show this amount of misfire on same amount of misfires on of course maybe different cylinders ?

Shouldn’t the ecm do this work on making sure the combustion chamber is doing its job and every thing is firing order and yes I know there’s a lot going on dertect fuel injection but still this should be working right .

Another thing is it’s weird how it’s always the front two cylinders 4 and 1 that have these misses why would that be just because or ....? Carbon build from the old owner I’ve only owned it for a month.but I’ve been putting good gas in there .

ive done spark plugs oem and ignition Coles oem and yes I’ve fliped things around and no it didn’t change any thing .

Next plan is to remove intake out and check for carbon build up and yes do the injectors any one done this before replacing injectors?

not sure what any one has input on at this stage?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
As in you let the truck idle for 15-45 minutes?

Ecoboosts have a history of having some slight misfires at idle due to it being direct injected. The Calibration can only do so much after idling that long. There are many factors that can be contributing to it. Heat soak, high IAT2, poor fuel quality, etc. I imagine from it sitting so long the air and fuel don’t effectively mix and light off.

If anything I would put some high quality fuel in and give it a nice Italian tune-up. Get it nice and hot.

The truck would let you know if a continuous misfire were to happen.

Also if you were idling that long, I highly recommend changing oil more frequently.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, im saying its nothing to worry about. No engine has perfect firing events 100%of the time, especially at idle. And especially direct injection engines. There is very little time for fuel atomization to take place compared to a port-injected engine (remember, vapors burn. Not liquid gas) and on top of that you have the highest air restriction at idle (throttle closed). Other factors play in that were mentioned above. Theres a reason you're not setting codes, its because your misfires have to pass a certain threshold that ford set in place. You can see that threshold in Mode 6 in your snap on scanner. I think it's Test $52 or test $53. Youll see individual cylinder values and min and max values. The max value is the threshold It has to pass to set a code.

Also, don't let your truck idle for an hour.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
There no codes and nothing wrong...you're logging mode 6 or something? Forget about it. It is at idle too, so who cares. You're just looking for problems and there is not one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m using a snap on soules pro ,

Never owned a eco boost so I wouldn’t know I don’t get into the engines to much.
just want a nice smooth idle cause where i live I can’t turn off the truck it’s that cold most on work is inside the truck .

I’m going to take the intake out tommorw and look for carbon build I still believe a some things not right old owner was putting regular Costco gas I’ve started putting premium Gasoline at chevron .

Just was wondering if you guys have logged this kind of data at idle before that’s all.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
All ecoboost have a slight vibration at idle.

You can mess with cam degree in tuning and also raise the rpm at idle, those help. At warm, the engine would have the vibration though...or it is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When in gear barely notice it it’s even running it’s just that idle drives me crazy I paid 40 k for a truck with that idle in park .

mind you it’s only got 100,000 kms on it I live in Canada vancouver

I’ve heard of tuners honestly I’m not very into them any one had good experience with one that I can buy and make it May Make the shifts that much better as well .

so no one here has hooked up data on there truck and seen misfire at idle on data ? With no codes ?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Not sure what the reason is that it will be normal to idle often and for long terms, but it wouldn't be my favorite drivetrain in that scenario.

I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, but it would have a huge influence on a few things that I would do to address long idling.

1. My oil change interval would be even shorter! And I already change it far more often than Ford recommends.

2. I'd probably be judicious at finding my favorite spot for some WOT runs to........ I don't know what to call it, but to clear it's respiratory system. :)

And if it was a Gen1, no port injection, I'd probably try to figure out some kind of valve cleaning technique, but that can be either controversial or ineffective.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your valves will have a lot of carbon, there will be especially a lot on the floor of the port just above the valve.

You'll clean them and it's still going to idle exactly the same. You're chasing a ghost.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I’m using a snap on soules pro ,

Never owned a eco boost so I wouldn’t know I don’t get into the engines to much.
just want a nice smooth idle cause where i live I can’t turn off the truck it’s that cold most on work is inside the truck .

I’m going to take the intake out tommorw and look for carbon build I still believe a some things not right old owner was putting regular Costco gas I’ve started putting premium Gasoline at chevron .

Just was wondering if you guys have logged this kind of data at idle before that’s all.
All that idling is gonna kill the 3.5 Ecoboost UNLESS it gets an Italian Tuneup on the way home after work every day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input every one including TurboGT

Ok let’s move from the idle to the data if I go in there and change all 6 injectors I won’t see any difference what so ever on the data picking up those misses on cylinder 4 and 1 ?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I’m sorry to say but nothing is going to change those misfires. It’s going to happen due to the nature of the engine. If it were a problem the truck would be throwing codes.if it’s not throwing codes I would just leave it alone.

All ecoboosts have a misfire at idle especially gen1. Gen2 switch between PI and DI so they do not have the issue.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
LOng idle times is also considered severe conditions. You need to run top tier oil and change often. If it is your work rig, I would do oil analysis on the first number of oil changes and you can determine how many hours you can idle and miles you can drive before you need to change. Then just keep running the same oil and change periods. Only use motorcraft filter or a top tier filter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts