F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been having really bad misfires where i get sent into limp mode everytime, got a brand new downpipe because misfire melted stock one. New plugs, coils. I have a catch can. Hole drilled in bottom of intercooler. And have throughly cleaned throttle body and intake. And STILL i misfire on highway speeds and get sent to limp mode. I have run out of things to check and im so lost on what to do :/...

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,292 Posts
Year model ? Engine ? Any other engine mods ?

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
Classic Gen1 first post, really.

If I had to guess.

(not that a Gen2 can't misfire bad enough to go into limp mode. But nary a report of it)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Year model ? Engine ? Any other engine mods ?
2013 platinum 3.5 ecoboost. No mods besides catch can and new downpipes I installed. Not even a intake yet. For whatever reason after getting into limp mode this morning, if i hit the downshift button on my shifter while in drive and take away 6th gear it hasn’t happened again. Runs iffy after higher speeds but hasn’t misfired... yet.. lol

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
2017 is Gen2 for the 3.5EB

2015 was the body change to aluminum, so it gets mistaken as "Gen2" sometimes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mikedick77

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
862 Posts
I'd plug in a scan tool of some sort and see if you pull any codes to help point you in the right direction. It's pretty computerized.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd plug in a scan tool of some sort and see if you pull any codes to help point you in the right direction. It's pretty computerized.
I tried using an autozone free scanning tool when the check engine light was on before new plugs and coils and the scanner would only give me an error message. Did all wire checks and checked fuses and no issues so not sure why my ob2 wasn’t working but i did order a wireless one so i’ll see if that one works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you checked the pcv valve? What catch can?

Also it is pretty easy to crack the ceramic when installing new plugs. I would double check those. Did you replace the boots?
Have you checked the pcv valve? What catch can?

Also it is pretty easy to crack the ceramic when installing new plugs. I would double check those. Did you replace the boots?
Jlt 3.0 passenger side catch can. I doubt i did anything to them. Old ones were so tight i had them soaking in pb blaster for an hour and still had to stick a pipe on my ratchet to remove them. So new ones got a tiny bit of antiseze hand ratchet tight.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
862 Posts
I tried using an autozone free scanning tool when the check engine light was on before new plugs and coils and the scanner would only give me an error message. Did all wire checks and checked fuses and no issues so not sure why my ob2 wasn’t working but i did order a wireless one so i’ll see if that one works.
Shouldn't get an error message on that. Maybe the autozone scan tool was faulty. Hold out on the new one, and see if anything comes up that can redirect you on that one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update I guess. Same as before, was on beltway on my way to work this morning and hit the downshift button to eliminate 6th and was running fine and decided to upshift to 6th to see what would happen as a daily test and it instantly misefired and went into limp mode the second it hit 6th gear. Happened again few miles later in 5th but on a very very steep incline and slight rain. Check engine light came back on and hopefully stays on until my ob2 scanner arrives today.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,292 Posts
Wow. That is strange. I hope you figger it out. Lots of curiosity building.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Sounds like it’s happening under High load Low Rpm. Have you checked the pcv valve to see that it’s in tact?

I mean I have seen in the past where it’s a sign the HPFP is going out but there would be other signs with it.

It would help to see your fuel trims at idle and cruising speed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts