F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through the Mishimoto Intercooler R&D thread and there aren't really any reviews on the actual product. Seems to be a better built CAC than other stock location replacements. Anyone have it and willing to give me your thoughts on it? Looking to finally upgrade the CAC since I'm starting to mod my truck for towing and I found a good price for it.

Thanks

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
They have only been available for a matter of weeks and thats not really enough time for the buyers to have a chance to put it through some notable 'testing'. I know member 1882 got one installed on is truck and gave his first impressions of it being a great unit. Until summer time really hits, most people won't realize the full potential yet.

·
Sponsor
1,121 Posts
We had our Mishimoto rep in three weeks ago and they were just getting ready to launch it. That data from customers is going to be months away.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have one on order as well and assuming it arrives in the next 2-3 weeks, you'll get my feedback on build quality, install info, and dyno results in 4-6 weeks. Mishimoto is well known for their quality intercoolers on many other platforms, which is why I held out once I heard they were developing one.

As far as stock mounting location goes, I think they are the only aftermarket company to apply a little innovation and think a little bit outside the box, with their mounting style and the "air diversion plates". I appreciate that they solicited feedback from truck owners during the design process, which is where things like the threaded plug came from.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well it been in the 90's here again this week and I'm under boost it steady 8-10 degrees above ambient. That's been constant since I installed other than when we had that little cold air move in then it was like 4 degrees above ambient when under boost. when just cruising at light throttle really under no boost it climbs up 15-20 this week but soon as i give it gas and under boost it drops straight away to +8. It comes with 3 pieces you attach to front on top and sides of the intercooler to make the air flow ducted straight to the fins, also has drain plug in bottom mount driver side.

·
Registered
379 Posts
3 pieces you say? I only got 2. I did end up with extra hardware though, this explains it. Could ya post a pic?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Does anyone else with a Mishimoto IC have any feedback to add? I am debating between this IC and the wagner. Application is towing, not racing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does anyone else with a Mishimoto IC have any feedback to add? I am debating between this IC and the wagner. Application is towing, not racing.

what year truck and how much towing? mishimoto has some solid products and bonus on the 17 you dont have to relocate the oil cooler.

that being said, im interested to hear what the actual core dimensions are for the new 1+ CACs as from pics it looks stock plus a little wider

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I was asking about gen I. I have a 2012 FX4.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I have a mishimoto. I've never towed with it, but my iat temps going down the highway stay the same as ambient as long as I'm building some boost. I like the fact it comes with a drain plug(which I drilled out).

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm still very happy with mine. It held temps well through the warmer months last year and never had any issues during the winter (extra condensate or anything weird). As far as build quality - well, it's still right there where I mounted it! So seems good to me.

Performance, well, I can say that during the hotter months the truck never felt 'bogged down' by heat, which was perceptible on the OEM intercooler after sitting in traffic or after some hard accelleration.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have a mishimoto. I've never towed with it, but my iat temps going down the highway stay the same as ambient as long as I'm building some boost. I like the fact it comes with a drain plug(which I drilled out).
The drain plug and stock location are features that I really want. Guess I need to start saving some cash! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
249 Posts
For you guys with the Mishimoto CACs, how much condensation/sludge are you seeing when you drain it?

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
For you guys with the Mishimoto CACs, how much condensation/sludge are you seeing when you drain it?
I drilled the drain, so it all comes out while I'm driving. I didn't have the drain drilled out when I first installed it and had problems on a rainy 5 hour drive(misfire code and went into limp mode when I got on it to pass someone). I would never rely on draining it ever so often. It's just not worth the worry for the 2 cfm you lose at full boost. When I first drilled it all that came out was some water. I have a catch can installed though too.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm excited to know more about the FMIC gains from the mishimoto as well.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Do you have a link to the bronze plug you're using? Does the flow get reduced by the oil and gunk?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Anyone else with some real world experience with the Mishimoto? I'm about to pull the trigger but don't want to spend the money if it's not going to be a significant difference when it's 105 degrees out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2013 f150 with the mishimoto cac and full race radiator, and the excursion transmission cooler and my coolant still overheats. It is a ton better then before though. I'll dig up the torque log and post it in the next few days.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Anyone else with some real world experience with the Mishimoto? I'm about to pull the trigger but don't want to spend the money if it's not going to be a significant difference when it's 105 degrees out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I put a mishimoto CAC on a friends 2015. It was a solid, well built piece that had a really good fit.

Mishimoto is known for making good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 55 Posts