F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
It may reduce coolant temps slightly due to the reduced load on the cooling system, but if you're having cooling issues, our radiator would be a better investment.

This will fit the non-raptor 2017 3.5L EcoBoost. It will not fit the 2018 models with the 3.5L except for the Raptor.

Thanks!
-Steve
Ok, because in post #4 you had said it wasn't compatible with the 10spd transmission when I asked about the Gen2 3.5. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, because in post #4 you had said it wasn't compatible with the 10spd transmission when I asked about the Gen2 3.5. Thanks!
I should clarify: This will fit 2017 3.5L's with the 6-speed trans (our research showed that some 2017 3.5L still received the 6R80), it will not fit F-150's with the 10-speed (10R80) except the Raptor.

Sorry about that, let me know if you ordered one for a 2017 F-150 3.5L with the 10 speed and I can have our CS team cancel the order for you, unless you want to try and find a way to make it work :(

-Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
I should clarify: This will fit 2017 3.5L's with the 6-speed trans (our research showed that some 2017 3.5L still received the 6R80), it will not fit F-150's with the 10-speed (10R80) except the Raptor.

Sorry about that, let me know if you ordered one for a 2017 F-150 3.5L with the 10 speed and I can have our CS team cancel the order for you, unless you want to try and find a way to make it work :(

-Steve
So what would be the difference between the 2017 Raptor with 10spd and a Gen2 3.5 with 10spd as far as the transmission cooler goes? My cooler location, bracket, hose placement etc..... looks identical to the raptor one on the install video. As far as the 2 motors go the footprints are the same, internals differ. For example, I have a 2018 raptor engine cover and a Cobb raptor intake on my Gen2 3.5 with perfect fitment, I sold a S&B intake off my truck to a guy with a 18 raptor and it fit perfect. It is what it is if the cooler doesn't fit but I'm trying to figure out why it wouldn't. I would be more than happy to test fit one for you guys on my 17 3.5 with 10spd. I already run your CAC

·
Vendor
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So what would be the difference between the 2017 Raptor with 10spd and a Gen2 3.5 with 10spd as far as the transmission cooler goes? My cooler location, bracket, hose placement etc..... looks identical to the raptor one on the install video. As far as the 2 motors go the footprints are the same, internals differ. For example, I have a 2018 raptor engine cover and a Cobb raptor intake on my Gen2 3.5 with perfect fitment, I sold a S&B intake off my truck to a guy with a 18 raptor and it fit perfect. It is what it is if the cooler doesn't fit but I'm trying to figure out why it wouldn't. I would be more than happy to test fit one for you guys on my 17 3.5 with 10spd. I already run your CAC
That's interesting. All of our research determined that 2017 3.5L F-150's with the 10-speed did not receive the front-mounted trans cooler, except for the Raptor. If you do have the front mounted cooler like the Raptor, this should fit without any issue. Do you know what cooling/tow packages you have?

Thanks!
-Steve

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
That explains a lot.

I'm unaware of any 10-speed tranny F150 with an oem front mounted cooler. I didn't even know that the Raptor had such with a 10-speed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's interesting. All of our research determined that 2017 3.5L F-150's with the 10-speed did not receive the front-mounted trans cooler, except for the Raptor. If you do have the front mounted cooler like the Raptor, this should fit without any issue. Do you know what cooling/tow packages you have?

Thanks!
-Steve
I have the max tow package and it has the transmission cooler just like the raptor in the install video. I will get a couple pics for you...stand by

·
Registered
424 Posts
That explains a lot.

I'm unaware of any 10-speed tranny F150 with an oem front mounted cooler. I didn't even know that the Raptor had such with a 10-speed.

Here ya go @snakebitten helping you become aware build date of my truck was 12/16/16 302A with Max Trailer Tow Package Gen2 3.5 with 10spd.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Thank you sir!
That explains a lot to me too.

So the early release (17's) of the 10 speed ended up with trucks that did NOT have the "standardized" (by the time the 18's arrived) underbelly cooler that all 10-speeds now have, regardless of motor (2.7,3.5,5.0)?

While I was happy to see far less confusion on the 18's, I kinda wish that the front mounted cooler was still used. Only because it seems so much easier to do an upgrade, much like this very offer from Mishimoto.

Fortunately the newer trucks have less complaints about tranny Temps than ect Temps, so perhaps that switch Ford made to the underneath Water-cooled exchanger is working OK.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thank you sir!

So the early release (17's) of the 10 speed ended up with trucks that did NOT have the "standardized" (by the time the 18's arrived) underbelly cooler that all 10-speeds now have, regardless of motor (2.7,3.5,5.0)?

While I was happy to see far less confusion on the 18's, I kinda wish that the front mounted cooler was still used. Only because it seems so much easier to do an upgrade, much like this very offer from Mishimoto.

Fortunately the newer trucks have less complaints about tranny Temps than ect Temps, so perhaps that switch Ford made to the underneath Water-cooled exchanger is working OK.

Why do u think they left it front mounted for the Raptors but changed location on the other engine's? I live in AZ and Transmission temp never really gets above 205 when towing.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Honestly I don't know. I'm interested to find out if they STILL use the front mount cooler on the Raptor. (There's 4 or 5 of them at my dealership. I'll stop and look)

It's far more interesting to me that it's not just a relocation, but a completely different method of cooling. I'm guessing there are no coolant lines coming off the radiator at all?

That's kind of cool if it means less heat-load on the Engine Coolant.

·
Vendor
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Here ya go @snakebitten helping you become aware build date of my truck was 12/16/16 302A with Max Trailer Tow Package Gen2 3.5 with 10spd.
Thank you sir!

That is interesting, I wonder if Ford completely phased out the rad-mounted trans cooler on all of their vehicles, so they just fitted them to early 17's with 10-speeds to clear out stock and switch tooling over to the new cooler style. The Raptor that we had in for testing was a 2018 model-year (not sure of the build date but I could probably get it), so that would be well into the cutoff for the under-mounted cooler.

We were actually surprised to hear that the Raptor had a radiator-mounted cooler too as nothing in our research showed it. I'd be willing to bet that some of the reason for keeping the rad-mounted cooler on the Raptor is partially customer perception and partially how they're building the rest of the cooling system. The Raptor is seen as the heavy-duty truck, so customers likely want to see that aux cooler. It also comes with the larger radiator, so it's possible Ford just hadn't developed a rad that works with the under-mounted cooler and can cool the 3.5L HO yet.

Or it's all just completely random based on build date, location and parts availability...:confused:

Either way, @gotboost150, this cooler should work for your truck since you do have the stock aux cooler already.

Thanks for sharing!

-Steve

·
Registered
218 Posts
What is this "underbelly" cooler on the 10spd trucks? Part of the radiator?

My 13 has the tranny fluid going thru the radiator and the air-cooled cooler in front of the radiator/condenser. Very similar set up that they've been doing for years in the F150 and superduty line.

I imagine the 15-17 6spd trucks had the same setup as they were mechanically very similar to the 11-14 trucks?

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Nope, not part of the radiator.

If you climb under a truck with the 10-speed, you will see the tranny cooler mounted just a few inches in front of the tranny under the bell housing. It has in/out lines from the tranny, and in/out lines from the radiator.

(Orange in the picture below)

But according to a few posts it sounds like there might be a single year model Raptor with a 10-speed that has an air cooled tranny cooler mounted in front of the radiator?

I'm skeptical, only because it would be the only example of Ford deviating their 10-speed deployment. But I'm ready to eat crow when a picture shows up somewhere proving it. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've got a front mounted transmission cooler on my 17 3.5L 10 speed as well but I really don't have issues with transmission temps. I kept them under 205 for an 8 hour drive across Texas in July.

It's the coolant temps that are a booger to keep under control

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Nope, not part of the radiator.

If you climb under a truck with the 10-speed, you will see the tranny cooler mounted just a few inches in front of the tranny under the bell housing. It has in/out lines from the tranny, and in/out lines from the radiator.

(Orange in the picture below)

But according to a few posts it sounds like there might be a single year model Raptor with a 10-speed that has an air cooled tranny cooler mounted in front of the radiator?

I'm skeptical, only because it would be the only example of Ford deviating their 10-speed deployment. But I'm ready to eat crow when a picture shows up somewhere proving it. :)
Here's the stock cooler on the 2018 Raptor we used for development. We believe that this cooler is equipped on all 2017+ Raptors and it appears to be equipped on some 10-speed F-150's as well. As long as you have this cooler, our transmission cooler will fit.

Forgot to mention, the pre-sale for this transmssion cooler will be ending soon, so get your orders in now before the price goes up!

_MG_8360.jpg

Thanks!
-Steve

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Crow taste like chicken tonight. :)

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Vendor
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hey everybody,

We have some more awesome news related to this transmission cooler: we're running a giveaway! Click the image below to enter - even if you've already placed your pre-order, go ahead and enter; if you win, we'll send your order for free!

Let me know if you have any questions!
-Steve

·
Vendor
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hey everybody,

We're going to be ending the pre-sale for this transmission cooler, so tonight is your last chance to order before the price goes up! We already have product in our warehouse and have started processing orders, so those of you who have already ordered should receive an email with shipping information soon.

Thanks!
-Steve

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
10 Participants
gotboost150
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing