F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is a long thread on this forum regarding real world mpg that folks are getting, but from what I have picked up is that most are running stock. I was curious to know who is running modified, and what kind of mpg's are being seen. Have they gone up , have they tanked, what? So here is what I want to know:
1. What mods do you have(and brands)? Downpipes, exhaust, chip(tune), air intake?
2. What was your stock mpg and what your current (modified) mpg is.
3. Are you running a lift, or bigger tires that could effect your mpg.
I have been considering doing exhaust and downpipes, but would really like to know if there will be a fuel improvement. I know that there will be a hp gain obviously. I come from many turbo'ed cars and every one is always different. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Stock before bumpers 13.5 city 18 highway.. With tuner and exhaust catback 14.8 city 19.5 highway.. With intake canned tune and catback 16 city 21 highway with bumpers.. With intake custom tune stage 2 race downpipe and catback 15 city 21 highway with bumpers but i can't stay out of it now lol

2012 F150 EcoBoost Lariat

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ecrous0, wow, so modding really did up your mpg's. I had seen your truck before and saw your large heavy bumpers, I figured your mpg would have really suffered! When I put on my ARB on my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, my front sagged lower and I lost about2-3 mpg because of the weight! Glad to hear, you were able to get some back!

·
Vendor
897 Posts
I feel like I has one of the best examples of this situation. I did the same exact drive stock and modified. I drove about 80 miles round trip, 95% highway. Stock I got 20.6 MPG. after my mods (Intake, Edge Tuner, AFE Charge Pipe, TB, Leveling Kit) I got 20.5 MPG. So it is possible to have performance mods and get mileage.

2011 EcoBoost Intake Tune MPG.JPG

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ecrous0, wow, so modding really did up your mpg's. I had seen your truck before and saw your large heavy bumpers, I figured your mpg would have really suffered! When I put on my ARB on my old Jeep Grand Cherokee, my front sagged lower and I lost about2-3 mpg because of the weight! Glad to hear, you were able to get some back!
Yea its a 200lb front and it doesn't sag at all.. I think is because the v8 is heavier than v6 so front is used to extra weight

2012 F150 EcoBoost Lariat

·
Registered
170 Posts
Stock I used to get about 16 in town driving and only about 17.5-18 highway

After I tuned I see closer to 18 in town. And I've even doing a lot of highway the last few days and I'm getting 21.3
and I have an EXTREMLY heavy foot haha

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock I used to get about 16 in town driving and only about 17.5-18 highway

After I tuned I see closer to 18 in town. And I've even doing a lot of highway the last few days and I'm getting 21.3
and I have an EXTREMLY heavy foot haha
What kid of mods do you have? Just a tune? Or do you have anything else?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I get 16+ in town and 20+ on the 2 lane hwy running 60ish.
When pulling I get anywhere from 12-16 depending on how hard I am running.
I have a AFE stage 2 CAI / Livernois 93V2 tune. I also have 285/65/18 nitro terra grapplers too.
forgot to say mine is a 2011 FX4 EB ....Mak performance Y pipe and DB corso exhaust coming soon !

·
Registered
118 Posts
My truck just hit 1000 miles and im getting 14.4 and my add on's are in my signature. Im getting MBRP's 3in catback very soon. When I drove my truck off the lot I was getting 12.4 with just 20 miles on her.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tunes, intake and exhaust

exhaust did not help one bit with mpg. I think I lost .2 mpg actually. Intake brought it back up like .5 mpg

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Are these going off the computer, or are these based on hand calculations?

·
Registered
565 Posts
whne i was runnning stock tires with the rough country 2.5 lift i was getting like 19 average then when i got my 275/70 10 ply tires it dropped to like 15.2 average, no with my 3 inch none resonated gibson exhaust it back up to 17.8 average

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Wow, I must have gotten a good one.
I'm at 4500 miles and this tank is at 19mpg around town driving averaging between 35 and 45 mph, lots of small hills and dips on my 26 mile commute to the job site.
Oh, 2013 extended cab XLT

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a '13 xlt reg cab 4x4, 8' box, cap on the back, 3.55 e-lkr. Besides the Putco bumper grill which I doubt affects mpgs, I changed out my factory 235/75R17 (30's) Dyna Pro A/T's for 285/70R17 (33's) Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Hand calculated mpg before was 17.4 avg driving 75. Now it's 15.6 avg if I drive with the speedometer at 67 which is actually 70 based on gps readings. Faster than that and mpg goes down alot more. So I'm looking at potentially changing ring and pinions in both axles when I get the money put together. Although I have changed them out in other gas trucks and it didn't seem to make much of difference. So maybe money would be best put towards CAI, exhaust, y pipes, and tuner.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a '13 xlt reg cab 4x4, 8' box, cap on the back, 3.55 e-lkr. Besides the Putco bumper grill which I doubt affects mpgs, I changed out my factory 235/75R17 (30's) Dyna Pro A/T's for 285/70R17 (33's) Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Hand calculated mpg before was 17.4 avg driving 75. Now it's 15.6 avg if I drive with the speedometer at 67 which is actually 70 based on gps readings. Faster than that and mpg goes down alot more. So I'm looking at potentially changing ring and pinions in both axles when I get the money put together. Although I have changed them out in other gas trucks and it didn't seem to make much of difference. So maybe money would be best put towards CAI, exhaust, y pipes, and tuner.
You won't see any mpg performance from a cai, mostly just sound. A tuner w/custom tunes will be best, and getting rid or the factory restrictive cats.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Truck Trend magazine just had their long term wrap up on their 2012 EB in their J/F 2014 issue. They put 30,207 miles on in 13 months and averaged 14.6 MPG.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I average 15-16 on the highway, and in the city before and after the mods. I think the main reason I haven't seen any mpg gains is because all of this new power is too much fun.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I average 15-16 on the highway, and in the city before and after the mods. I think the main reason I haven't seen any mpg gains is because all of this new power is too much fun.
That is the most likely thing to occur. This is what's happened to me on all my past vehicles I ever modified... SOME minor gains if I take it easy. But if I drive like I "prefer" (or should I say "the real reason I modified the vehicle"), I actually lose MPG. So if you are trying to use "modifying to get better mpg" to justify modifying the vehicle "that's the left side of the brain trying to rationalize with the right side".

Truthfully, I find my MPGs are all over the map ... and MOST is really based on how I drive. On the highway: Take it easy with a light foot, the mileage isn't too bad (for a 3 ton pickup truck with the aerodynamics of a brick). Drive fast, pass a lot of slower moving vehicles ... gas mileage sucks.

The only one I cannot improve is "my city mileage". My city is "pure city" (I never get past 30 mph; a stop light at every corner (all timed to stop you); I live only 5-10 minutes away from work (depending on traffic volume), my engine barely gets warm even in the summer, and you MUST let it idle a bit in winter if you want ANY heat in the cab before you get to your destination; and sometimes, you crawl so slow in traffic, that you watch the light change a couple times, even before you get to the intersection. So my city is single digit, at best.

BUT, at least I only have 6 small cylinders to crawl in traffic than 8 big cylinders.

The best way to improve city gas mileage, is to get something other than a truck.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
That is the most likely thing to occur. This is what's happened to me on all my past vehicles I ever modified... SOME minor gains if I take it easy. But if I drive like I "prefer" (or should I say "the real reason I modified the vehicle"), I actually lose MPG. So if you are trying to use "modifying to get better mpg" to justify modifying the vehicle "that's the left side of the brain trying to rationalize with the right side".

Truthfully, I find my MPGs are all over the map ... and MOST is really based on how I drive. On the highway: Take it easy with a light foot, the mileage isn't too bad (for a 3 ton pickup truck with the aerodynamics of a brick). Drive fast, pass a lot of slower moving vehicles ... gas mileage sucks.

The only one I cannot improve is "my city mileage". My city is "pure city" (I never get past 30 mph; a stop light at every corner (all timed to stop you); I live only 5-10 minutes away from work (depending on traffic volume), my engine barely gets warm even in the summer, and you MUST let it idle a bit in winter if you want ANY heat in the cab before you get to your destination; and sometimes, you crawl so slow in traffic, that you watch the light change a couple times, even before you get to the intersection. So my city is single digit, at best.

BUT, at least I only have 6 small cylinders to crawl in traffic than 8 big cylinders.

The best way to improve city gas mileage, is to get something other than a truck.
I generally average 80-85 when I'm on the highway, but if I stayed within the speed limit i could average around 18.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts