F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Every morning when I start up my 2011 F150 3.5 ecoboost it runs for about 5 seconds with nothing coming out of the tailpipe, but then some white smoke starts coming out. It's not a tremendous amount though, but lasts for about 20 seconds then clears up. Today I went back there to smell the smoke and it didn't smell like oil or antifreeze at all. It smelled like regular exhaust burn with a hit of gas.
The truck has 125,000 on it. It did this since I bought it a few months ago. I put on a catch can to see if that would help due to the fact that dirty vapors and such could accumulate overnight from getting passed back in. But the catch can didn't do anything for the smoke. I have been reading on this issue as well and it is all over the place. Some say it's completely normal, and some will say that it is your turbos going. The truck in general runs great. The engine is smooth as ever and I can hear the turbos doing a faint whistle when I get on it. It seems to have the power it needs.
So is this anything to worry about? Anybody else have this issue? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Ecoboost cold start idle tuning.
Fat & rich fueling to get those cats heated up quickly. (from what I understand)

EPA pressure

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mine does that too. From what I can tell, it's water vapor from the engine. Only does this on cold startup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts