F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting talk with my dealer yesterday. I was in for my "free" first service and asked about mods and how they might impact my warranty. As for intake and exhaust, no problem as long as they are CARB compliant (Calif Air Resource's Board). It's another story with the tuner. I was told that the tuner would impact the warranty......I was told if I were to do that, don't tell anybody and if I needed service to set it back to factory......we have discussed this here but what I didn't' know was the following, he said make sure to drive at least 300 miles after resetting to factory to totally clear the history of the tuner and reset the computer......I hadn't heard that so thought I'd share it and maybe save someone a headache down the road. I still haven't done any mods and I'm not sure I will but it sure is tempting!!! Hard to imagine more HP, more torque, and even better mpg...........

·
Registered
537 Posts
Don't know if it is still true, but it used to be you could also simply disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to clean an memory of the tuner having had been installed. Of course then the battery disconnect would show as kind of a tale tell sign.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
The 300 mile thing means that you will complete a "Drive Cycle". If the dealer doesn't see a completed drive cycle they know for sure you've been up to something. If they see a complete drive cycle then they have to have a reason to dig further into the programming. The issue comes when you break something (like I did on a 6.0L diesel) and it has to be towed to the dealer, there is no completing a drive cycle at that point. Remember because of the Moss v Magnuson act the dealer would have to prove that the tuner caused the issue.

Example: You go in because your sync system doesn't work and the dealer tells you, you voided the warranty by adding a programmer.

They can't do this, but they do try it alot. We get calls from our Mustang customers all the time about this.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The problem with Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is that us the little guys don't have access to 100s of lawyers and engineers like the dealers and manufacturers. If they deny you warranty based on a tuner or mods you will be out of luck unless you have millions of dollars to fight with them in court. Bottom line if you mod and tune you are making a choice that can cost you your warranty, and should not be surprised or upset if they deny your warranty. I will eventually modify my truck, but after the warranty is up.

Just my 2 cents.

SPPD

·
Registered
537 Posts
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, was either written with good intentions or by attorneys for the aftermarket manufactures. As mentioned above, it still comes down the who has the deepest pockets to fight the matter. You would have a tough time finding an attorney who would take a MMWA case on a contingency basis unless it resulted in a class action suit. And by the time anything ever got settled you may have already paid off your 72 month loan.

So in staying in line with the KISS Principal (Keep It Simple Stupid),

IE: Some times you got to pay to play.
or
You got to pay the cost to be the Boss.
or
Don't expect someone else to cover your keister for the deed you done.
or
Man up and accept the responsibility.
or
A man has got to know his limitations.
or
Don't peep in the hole, unless your also prepared to see what might be the ugly side of life.
or
Some doors are better left unopened.
or

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
jonrjen
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing