F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I suppose I could chalk this up to "the more options, the more things that can go wrong. . ." but the tiniest little piece of junk plastic piece has somehow apparently broken off and my moonroof will not shut or tilt. This piece is clearly the weakest link. I made an appointment at the stealership, but I hope it doesn't rain in the meantime . . .

moonroof will not close.jpg

broken POS.jpg

I see some posts about similar issues on some of the other forums, but none on here.

Edit: mods please move this to the problems section. Not sure how it posted here when I started it in problems?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't have this issue, but on the plus side, you just gained about 0.5 lbs of payload lol

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
drag racing math goes as such: every 100lbs you remove is worth 10hp, every 100lbs you move from the front to the back for traction is worth 5hp, you have a faster truck sir, congrats?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duck tape that thing shut if it does rain
Of course this happened when we were camping 400 miles away from home. Luckily, no rain and we made it home to the garage this afternoon. Had to listen to the wind the whole way home, though:(

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2 Posts
My moon-roof wouldn't open fully, and I was able to get it closed before it got stuck open...took it to the dealership...diagnosis: broken track..... they wanted 2k to replace and fix the broken track! Ummm....no thank you.....

There is an online website that sends you a replacement kit for $120.....and there are also online instructions on how to replace it.....sounds like the average time is about 5 hrs with two people! I am not sure that I am that inclined to try that!

I have only open it up three times....I think I will enjoy it closed from now on! But, of course, now all I want to do is open it!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My moon-roof wouldn't open fully, and I was able to get it closed before it got stuck open...took it to the dealership...diagnosis: broken track..... they wanted 2k to replace and fix the broken track! Ummm....no thank you.....

There is an online website that sends you a replacement kit for $120.....and there are also online instructions on how to replace it.....sounds like the average time is about 5 hrs with two people! I am not sure that I am that inclined to try that!

I have only open it up three times....I think I will enjoy it closed from now on! But, of course, now all I want to do is open it!
I saw some of that on the Forum. It seems like it happens all too often. It seems Ford only sells the entire thing as one piece. I am still under 3yr/36k, so they better not want any money for it to be fixed.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I saw some of that on the Forum. It seems like it happens all too often. It seems Ford only sells the entire thing as one piece. I am still under 3yr/36k, so they better not want any money for it to be fixed.
I'm sure your dealership will take great care of you, madmaxmutt; when are you headed in? If you need my help after getting a diagnosis, juts say the word. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure your dealership will take great care of you, madmaxmutt; when are you headed in? If you need my help after getting a diagnosis, juts say the word. How many miles are on your truck currently?

Crystal
Thanks Crystal. I will let you know. Just under 26K miles.

I took it in this morning. It was a rough start due to their poor (possibly nonexistent) scheduling system, but it got better after they started working on it. I will withhold judgement on the dealership experience until they complete this and the other issues they are looking at: Driver's side door handle that requires multiple pulls to open sometimes(NHSTA has a bulletin on this), Clunking noise occasionally when shifting from park to drive/reverse, and a strange grinding/whining noise under hard acceleration from a constant speed.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beginning day 4 at the dealership. I am told all of the parts for the moonroof are in.

As for the other three issues:
Door latch was replaced day 1. This is supposed to fix the door handle issue.
Got the dreaded, "Unable to replicate" the grinding/whining noise after a test drive (of course).
Still have not looked into the clunking noise when shifting to a driving gear after sitting there for three days. . .

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked up the truck last night. Moonroof appears good as new and the door handle hasn't stuck (yet).

They could not duplicate the clunk, either.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I picked up the truck last night. Moonroof appears good as new and the door handle hasn't stuck (yet).

They could not duplicate the clunk, either.
Thanks for the update, madmaxxmutt. If the noises start happening more regularly, you can always swing by your dealership again so they can hear it. When you do, be sure to let me know; I'll do what I can to help out as well. :)

Crystal

·
Registered
1 Posts
help

Thanks for the update, madmaxxmutt. If the noises start happening more regularly, you can always swing by your dealership again so they can hear it. When you do, be sure to let me know; I'll do what I can to help out as well. :)

Crystal
I am having the same issue(sorry for digging up old thread) just curious if there is a way to manually close? i have both plastic pieces broke as shown in your picture.

crystal i think i just spoke with you via phone....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had mine repaired twice on my Raptor $2500 + each time at dealer ,Thankfully under warranty and extended warranty. I dont even use it any more. I just slide the inner shade back if i want extra light. They use cheap plastic componants that get brittle in the desert heat. never will i buy that option again.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I am having the same issue(sorry for digging up old thread) just curious if there is a way to manually close? i have both plastic pieces broke as shown in your picture.

Hi mmabxr,

It would have been a different Crystal; ours has moved on to other pursuits. Also, our team operates primarily via social media. I got your PM, and just responded. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Rachel

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I was not able to find a way. It would close almost all the way, but I think one of those pieces holds it up in it's final position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EXACT SAME TINY 2 CENT PART BROKE in exactly the same place... will require 5 hours of work and $120 to fix it? Shouldn't Ford do something about this? For me, the part was jamming up the works and preventing the roof from rising up into the sealed position. Now I have to drop everything and fix this or I'm going to get wet! Anyone get any positive feedback from a Ford dealer on this?

I suppose I could chalk this up to "the more options, the more things that can go wrong. . ." but the tiniest little piece of junk plastic piece has somehow apparently broken off and my moonroof will not shut or tilt. This piece is clearly the weakest link. I made an appointment at the stealership, but I hope it doesn't rain in the meantime . . .

View attachment 37978

View attachment 37979

I see some posts about similar issues on some of the other forums, but none on here.

Edit: mods please move this to the problems section. Not sure how it posted here when I started it in problems?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EXACT SAME TINY 2 CENT PART BROKE in exactly the same place... will require 5 hours of work and $120 to fix it? Shouldn't Ford do something about this? For me, the part was jamming up the works and preventing the roof from rising up into the sealed position. Now I have to drop everything and fix this or I'm going to get wet! Anyone get any positive feedback from a Ford dealer on this?
Mine was fixed under warranty, but I am not sure they will do anything beyond the warranty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
11 Participants
Midl1
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing