F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about what size tires to get and I need info from the experts. I have the 3.73 gears and I'm looking at going to 33 or 33.5 and looking at a gear ratio chart that should give me about the same final as the 3.55. My question is will that help with highway mpg or am I wrong with my thinking. It is a 2013 4X4.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
No it won't. The bigger tires are heavier so to turn them uses more gas.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
No it won't. The bigger tires are heavier so to turn them uses more gas.
Agree, every time I've changed tire size fuel economy suffers. Larger tires rob you as well as aggressive tires. Go with a taller more aggressive tire and you get double the effect.
Especially with this particular truck & engine combo, everything has been set up as it is to maximize fuel economy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently fitted 305/55R20s to my stock 2013 FX4 wheels. I went with the Nitto Terra Grapplers as I've had them before and liked everything about them. The 305/55 nets you a 33 x12.5ish size tire and I went with the 120s model that only weighs about 48 lbs each to keep them as close in weight as I could to the stockers. They still clipped about 1.5-2 mpg off but I'll tune some of that back this week I hope. The look and added capability more than make up for it to me tho.

Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Having tires with larger diameter means less rotations per mile BUT the engine still need to work harder, resulting to mpg drop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts