F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I replaced my factory plugs at 55,000 miles with Motorcraft SP-534 plugs gapped to 0.028". It may have picked up a 1/2 mpg, but more importantly, the new plugs made the truck run MUCH smoother across the power band and idle nicer too. All hesitation gone.

The problem was that the stock plugs were gapped inconsistently: 6 plugs, 6 different gaps ranging from 0.027" to 0.040". Apparently this is a pretty common problem, and worth fixing before adding a tune. I guess Ford had a quality control problem in 2011.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback.

I was unsure if it effected all years of Ecoboost's or just one.

I also didn't want to tear my plugs out on a brand new truck for no reason. Now I have one....

Lol

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think most factory service intervals are 100,000 miles. You can cheat and look at the maintenance schedule in your owners manual....

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Every time I've gone by the manufacturers suggested plug replacement I've found my plugs to be way beyond where they should have been changed.
I usually go no more then 20K.

Although my other truck has 140K and I don't remember the last time I changed them

·
Registered
868 Posts
do you think 4,200 miles is to soon to pull the plugs ?
maybe i should wait until i atleast take it to the dealer for first oil change then pull them.
i would like to know how accurately they are gapped and also coat the threads with some anti-sieze
i use anti sieze on everything i take apart without fail the stuff is awsome and no good hand cleaner takes it right off your hands and face too
it seems no matter what, if you just look at and touch the bottle it is on you somewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
do you think 4,200 miles is to soon to pull the plugs ?
maybe i should wait until i atleast take it to the dealer for first oil change then pull them.
i would like to know how accurately they are gapped and also coat the threads with some anti-sieze
i use anti sieze on everything i take apart without fail the stuff is awsome and no good hand cleaner takes it right off your hands and face too
it seems no matter what, if you just look at and touch the bottle it is on you somewhere.

So exactly what are you waiting on for that first oil change? You said it has 4,200 on it, you are only ummmm 1,200 miles late.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

So exactly what are you waiting on for that first oil change? You said it has 4,200 on it, you are only ummmm 1,200 miles late.
Sorry Ecostroke you are 100% wrong according the the owners manual/ford bible.

7500-10000 Normal commuting with H/W driving, little towing, no off-road, etc.
5000-7499 Moderate to heavy load/towing, mountains & off-road, extended idling, etc
3000-4999 Max towing, extreme hot or cold operation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry Ecostroke you are 100% wrong according the the owners manual/ford bible.

7500-10000 Normal commuting with H/W driving, little towing, no off-road, etc.
5000-7499 Moderate to heavy load/towing, mountains & off-road, extended idling, etc
3000-4999 Max towing, extreme hot or cold operation.
I am 100% wrong and you think this engine makes oil last longer than any other engine. The eco boost has some special oil saver system in it. Keeps the oil like new for 10,000 mile.

·
Registered
868 Posts

the dealer specifically told me to not come back until 5,000 miles for the first oil change !
i called and got the same answer from 2 different people because i thought i was being misled.
they also said they would do 10,000 mile changes after that for warranty but i already started stocking up on oil because i plan on doing my own changes in between their 10,000 mile schedule

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Admittedly I will also be doing my own oil changes between dealer visists but oil technology has improved since the 80's and generally you can go a little bit longer than the "3 or 3000" rule......

Especially if you aren't running around like a raped ape or towing constantly.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I am 100% wrong and you think this engine makes oil last longer than any other engine. The eco boost has some special oil saver system in it. Keeps the oil like new for 10,000 mile.
All I did was comment on what you said as being wrong according the the owners manual. And FYI the trucks come from the factory with semi-sythetic oil in them which in itself is far superior to convention oils.
And yes oils have changed. For years I used Amsoil. I changed my oil once a year (or every 25K miles) and the filter every 6 months. I did this on my recently traded Xterra and on my diesel that now has 140K miles and 9 years of plowing on it. I only stopped doing this after we dealt with a warranty issue and found out first hand just how little we have to stand on if the manufacturer decided to void a warranty.
Unfortunately all the explanation in the world isn't going to get my point across, however if you go to the Amsoil site and read up on their product technology you will learn a lot about oils and just how they work and break down.
All of my vehicles (as well as snowmobiles, atv's, motorcycles, mowers, snow blowers) run nothing but full synthetic and once out of warranty go a full 7500 between oil changes.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i have been doin my own oil changes since i was a teen and stuck with 5,000 mile intervals unless i did something out of the norm.
i tried the 3,000 mile oil change for a very brief time and found it to be a huge hassle changing oil every other month and seeing the oil come out to be thrown away that still looked very good.

the dealer did verify that a semi-synthetic is in my truck initially and i told them i would like to go full synthetic when the change is done.
i just this yr also changed over to full synthetic Amsoil for my weed trimmers, chainsaws, outboards motors, and push mower the only one i have seen a difference in is the liquid cooled outboard that i ran all summer.
factory recommendations are 100:1 mix and i was running a 70:1 mix with conventional pre-mix oil.
the Amsoil says 50:1 and after a couple tanks mixed at that ratio i notice harder starts if i shut down quick from a heavy load and then try to restart

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yeah my dealer said come back around 5k miles for first oil change.
A Mainah! Where you from in Maine?
We head to Moosehead area, we own a camp in Jackman and just bought lake property in the woods around Brassua lake.
Tourism has destroyed the area around Lake Winnipesaukee that we live in. I hope it doesn't happen in Maine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts