F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2020 F-150 STX 4x4 Supercab
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that many members have stated is that they bought the 2.7 over the 5.0 or 3.5 due to the greater miles per gallon. Actually, I bought my 2020 2.7 because it was the only velocity blue 4x4 on the lot. I assumed I’d get great mpg after reading this forum. The window sticker says 23 mpg....I’ve never seen that!!

Well, I’m not impressed. I’m not complaining, actually, as I used to own a Ford V10 that got 8-9 mpg whether loaded or empty. From that standpoint, my 19.6 mpg hiway is great.

However, I’m a little surprised at how many folks think it terrific. I disagree. I do think it’s reasonable BUT it’s the smallest v6 Ford makes!!

Don’t get me wrong, as I absolutely love the truck. But my grandson bought a 2020 Silverado and gets over 22 mpg hiway, and he has the 5.3 v8. My son has a Ram Hemi and get 21+ all the time.

So, while I smile at 19+ mpg, it’s certainly not as impressive as a lot of folks think. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
At 19mpg, you gotta admit you are enjoying a dose of the boost, at the expense of the Eco.

It's a jekyll Hyde truck if there ever was one.

And that Chevy V8 doesn't beg/taunt nearly so much. Far more gentlemanly.

Yea, it's 2.7liters, technically, but has the btu creation capacity of a motor more than double that size. All at the beck and call of your right shoe.

Still, if your truck is brand new, it's likely to improve a bit with mileage.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,523 Posts
Set the cruise on 59 while on a straight flat road for a while.

Reactions: f4milytime

·
Registered
117 Posts
How many miles do you have? What size rims are those? How are their trucks set up compared to yours as far as tire/rim size, final drive ratios, crew cabs or super cabs and the lists goes on? Lots of times people will quote the top tank of gas mileage they ever got. My 2018 2 wheel drive supercab with 3.73 rear end is parked under the carport with 28 mpg average displayed on the dash. Three different checks have confirmed it be with in .2 of hand calculations. But, I run pure premium and live in the country. I don't mind taking my foot off the gas to coast down, typical brake pads are 120k plus life span with me and my spouse also. I don't like mashing the stop pedal if I don't have to. I use cruise a lot and typical run 3-5 mph over the limit.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
"your mileage may vary"...

The hwy mpg's on my old 3.5 Eco has been getting better the more miles it gets on it.. I'm at almost 96,000 miles now and it'll do 20-21 mpg hwy all day long... Hitch up that #7000 TT and it goes down to 10 mpg, but hauls that pig like a champ and I can't complain.

I got my truck to be a truck.. Not a mpg queen.. ha, ha... These twin turbos are either "eco" or "boost", and there maybe a little in the middle, but once I go over 70 mph, the mpg's fall fast..

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
2020 F-150 STX 4x4 Supercab
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree...I was never looking for a mpg hero. Just commenting on the reasons folks buy the 2.7 v6.

I just noted that it isn’t stellar and some folks say...just average.

I also wanted a truck and never expected anything over 16-18 mpg. I’m happy at 19+.
but I’d be happy with 15.

just commenting that it’s not the stellar mpg king that many people make it out to be.

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,523 Posts
How many miles do you have? What size rims are those? How are their trucks set up compared to yours as far as tire/rim size, final drive ratios, crew cabs or super cabs and the lists goes on? Lots of times people will quote the top tank of gas mileage they ever got. My 2018 2 wheel drive supercab with 3.73 rear end is parked under the carport with 28 mpg average displayed on the dash. Three different checks have confirmed it be with in .2 of hand calculations. But, I run pure premium and live in the country. I don't mind taking my foot off the gas to coast down, typical brake pads are 120k plus life span with me and my spouse also. I don't like mashing the stop pedal if I don't have to. I use cruise a lot and typical run 3-5 mph over the limit.
Sounds like me.

Reactions: Bratman2

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I just made a 750 mile trip to Salt Lake Utah. Highway 80 is posted 80 mph. So it put the cruise control on 85. Reset the instant mpg meter for 25 miles and was getting 15 mpg. (n)
Reset mpg meter again, cruise on 80 mph and got 18 mpg. (y) Got 17.1 on the whole trip.
I also know my truck will get up to 21 mpg at 65mph.
Maybe slow your roll some.
Everyone has different driving habits and nobody drives like the way they test vehicles to be able to print mpg on the window sticker.

Just for the record. I have two friends with Dodge Rams. Fully equipped 4x4 Lariat gets12 mpg and Rebel gets 13. And another friend with a 5.3 GMC 2WD does get 22mpg but he doesn’t know how to use the pedal on the right. Very slow driver.

·
Modinstrator
3,109 Posts
My fuel economy is dramatically decreases at the 70 mph number. If I could drive the dang thing at 65 mph it would do 22 mpg. Instead it tracks at about 19 mpg gallon and down to 17 when driving in SPORT mode. Yeah I know, that’s mostly me.

Reactions: EcoXLT

·
Premium Member
9,053 Posts
Lol

You gotta admit that it's a little weird to think it's possible to buy a 5000lb brick with 500lbs of torque and think you are going to get 30mpg.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Yours doesn’t count. Ha ha. I can go down hill and useing less then 2 gallons and get the same as that.
Try getting back after 577 gallons. That will account for your total style of driving habits and terrain.
View attachment 169968
You mean like I did here?
95.8 MPG.jpg

MPG should include a lot of miles and differing conditions. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with the EPA ratings.....

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I love my truck. When I bought it I was glad to get over 15 mpg. But, now I want 95 mpg too!!!
It's easy. Start at the top of America's Mountain and drive downhill for 22 miles to Colorado Springs.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
The big question I have is how many of you are just using plain regular 87 unleaded in your trucks? Also, the first thing you do when you buy an ecoboost is get rid of that ridiculous and massively restrictive exhaust system and air intake. Once the truck gets broken in that will improve your mileage too. I'm on my 3rd F-150 ecoboost and unfortunately this one is a lemon. It's been broke since December 12th. But that's besides the fact. I have never used regular unleaded in a turbocharged vehicle. I get 17mpg around town and if I go into Ohio where the roads are flat I get 23mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 65 running on 89 octane. If I'm going to be pulling my trailer I will run 93 octane in it to help keep the turbocharger temperatures down. It even tells you to run high octane in the manual if towing. I ran 87 octane in my current truck just one time to see what happened and I lost 2 mpg. It seems to be happier running a little higher octane.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I tried 91 octane for a 2200 mile trip and got exactly the same mpg as 87. Only time I’m going to use 91 is towing. No mods to truck.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I tried 91 octane for a 2200 mile trip and got exactly the same mpg as 87. Only time I’m going to use 91 is towing. No mods to truck.
Agreed. I also don't think MPG are going to go up with higher octane. Performance might. I always towed with the highest octane available. Daily driving, not so much. There is no way you would gain in cost benefit between premium and regular or mid grade on a MPG basis.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Reactions: EcoXLT
1 - 20 of 54 Posts