F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,550 Posts
The big question I have is how many of you are just using plain regular 87 unleaded in your trucks? Also, the first thing you do when you buy an ecoboost is get rid of that ridiculous and massively restrictive exhaust system and air intake. Once the truck gets broken in that will improve your mileage too. I'm on my 3rd F-150 ecoboost and unfortunately this one is a lemon. It's been broke since December 12th. But that's besides the fact. I have never used regular unleaded in a turbocharged vehicle. I get 17mpg around town and if I go into Ohio where the roads are flat I get 23mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 65 running on 89 octane. If I'm going to be pulling my trailer I will run 93 octane in it to help keep the turbocharger temperatures down. It even tells you to run high octane in the manual if towing. I ran 87 octane in my current truck just one time to see what happened and I lost 2 mpg. It seems to be happier running a little higher octane.
Does not say you must use 93 for towing. Only says you will get better performance while towing with 93.
I agree. No need to use more than 87 ever unless you want better performance. Won't hurt anything.

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Also, the first thing you do when you buy an ecoboost is get rid of that ridiculous and massively restrictive exhaust system and air intake.
ridiculous and massively restrictive?

I'm far from a motorhead, but I've consumed a ton of data on the Ecoboost 3.5 and have heard just the opposite, and almost a consensus.

Especially for oem tuning, I have heard that the intake and exhaust are actually well engineered, and not a choke point.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Modinstrator
3,111 Posts
ridiculous and massively restrictive?

I'm far from a motorhead, but I've consumed a ton of data on the Ecoboost 3.5 and have heard just the opposite, and almost a consensus.

Especially for oem tuning, I have heard that the intake and exhaust are actually well engineered, and not a choke point.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Someone was bound to bite. ;)

·
Registered
2017 F150 XLT SuperCrew 5.5 bed 4x4 2.7 ecoboost
9 Posts
So I have a 17 Super crew 2.7 4x4 XLT with 6 speed it got 22 on average running interstate at 75 mph for 4 hours I now have a 20 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4 FX4 with 10 speed the same trips now I’m get 19.5 with it

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Yesterday, I waited until I got on the interstate and set cruise at 80mph
Fairly flat. Not too windy. Truck is leveled and running pretty heavy KO2's E rated 285/65/20 (just less than 35")
I've never been disappointed with the mileage this 5000lb brick gets. Mileage includes a couple of traffic slow downs and one lengthy stop for food and restroom with truck idling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You guys have heavy feet. Drive a 19 Raptor now but before I got it I leased a 16 crew cab 4x4 with the 2.7 for three years. Got 28 to 33 on the highway with out a problem. My typical road trip would be from Gardnerville nv to Stateline(south lake tahoe) down to Burbank Ca and back up to Gardnerville Nv on one tank of gas. Typical trip meter:
hours: 10:53:06
515.1 miles
566 mi to E
30.8 mpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Their response to the 93 question is kind of funny! I consider just changing fuel to knock .6 seconds off a 0 to 60 to be pretty significant! Many people spend a lot of money for those kinds of gains. I think the gains in the bottom end are percentage wise larger than at the top. I gladly spring for the few bucks to have that kind of performance every tank full!

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of the things that many members have stated is that they bought the 2.7 over the 5.0 or 3.5 due to the greater miles per gallon. Actually, I bought my 2020 2.7 because it was the only velocity blue 4x4 on the lot. I assumed I’d get great mpg after reading this forum. The window sticker says 23 mpg....I’ve never seen that!!

Well, I’m not impressed. I’m not complaining, actually, as I used to own a Ford V10 that got 8-9 mpg whether loaded or empty. From that standpoint, my 19.6 mpg hiway is great.

However, I’m a little surprised at how many folks think it terrific. I disagree. I do think it’s reasonable BUT it’s the smallest v6 Ford makes!!

Don’t get me wrong, as I absolutely love the truck. But my grandson bought a 2020 Silverado and gets over 22 mpg hiway, and he has the 5.3 v8. My son has a Ram Hemi and get 21+ all the time.

So, while I smile at 19+ mpg, it’s certainly not as impressive as a lot of folks think. Just my opinion.
I have a 2016 F-150 SuperCrew 4X4 with the 2.7 and 3.55 rear end. I've kept my mileage for every tank since I bought it new (45,000+ miles now) and I'm averaging 19.2. The computer in my 2016 is about 6% more optimistic than my actual measurements. My best-ever mileage was 22.7, a bit of a disappointment but I can't complain because my old 2002 4X4 Ranger got a best-ever 18.9. I find my 2.7 has plenty of power and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You guys have heavy feet. Drive a 19 Raptor now but before I got it I leased a 16 crew cab 4x4 with the 2.7 for three years. Got 28 to 33 on the highway with out a problem. My typical road trip would be from Gardnerville nv to Stateline(south lake tahoe) down to Burbank Ca and back up to Gardnerville Nv on one tank of gas. Typical trip meter:
hours: 10:53:06
515.1 miles
566 mi to E
30.8 mpg
View attachment 170061 View attachment 170062
I claimed to get 30mpg and I got called a liar.
Good job on the mpg.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My best tank was just over 29 mpg on a trip to Charlotte NC. I filled up with 93 nonethanol other side of Washington NC. Zeroed the trip odometer. Drove all the way back to the same station and put 20.4 gals of gas in my truck. Trip miles were 590 something if my memory is correct. The amazing part is I only had a little over 800 total miles on the truck when we left. I averaged 5 mph over posted limits using cruise. The first 100 miles of the trip the mpg plummeted on the interstate and near 900 miles on the odometer it started climbing back up. If my truck would have been broken in I pretty sure it would have busted 30 plus mpg! So I don't think you are lying! I do think some have heavy feet, poor gas, heavier truck and what ever else you can think of.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My best tank was just over 29 mpg on a trip to Charlotte NC. I filled up with 93 nonethanol other side of Washington NC. Zeroed the trip odometer. Drove all the way back to the same station and put 20.4 gals of gas in my truck. Trip miles were 590 something if my memory is correct. The amazing part is I only had a little over 800 total miles on the truck when we left. I averaged 5 mph over posted limits using cruise. The first 100 miles of the trip the mpg plummeted on the interstate and near 900 miles on the odometer it started climbing back up. If my truck would have been broken in I pretty sure it would have busted 30 plus mpg! So I don't think you are lying! I do think some have heavy feet, poor gas, heavier truck and what ever else you can think of.
Mine was over 100 miles and I have a gen 1 3.5. The best overall tank was 23.6 going through the Appalachian mountains, a lot of terrain happens in 36 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine was nearly a whole standard tank. I think I have 23 gal tank. Worst was the trip to West Va. ATV in the bed, maybe 100 lbs of stuff in the back of the cab, my utility trailer with ramps and another ATV. Daughter had us doing 80 mph at times. I filled before we got there and I think I was showing high 18's when we rolled into our cabin. Hair over 20 when we got back home. Scared to think what i would have gotten towing a 6-7k trailer, lol!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I get about 4 mpg going up a 5% grade during that time of going up that grade towing a #7000 TT... On the other side, I can let off and let it 'coast' down in 6th and get 99 mpg during that time frame..

All depends on when you reset that instant mpg thing..

Seems the 2.7's get pretty good hwy mpg's not towing. That's great. I've seen a best of 21 mpg on a straight 100 mile hwy run going about 65 mph in my 13 Eco.

Best I ever got with my old 97 F150 with the 5.4 and 3.55 gears was 17 on the hwy...

Towing, both get/got 10 mpg's at best towing a #5000 TT or the new #7000 TT..

Oh well... They do have a new electric F150 and Mustang now, so guess that's where we are going now...

Hope they have quick charge things at the rest stops! :)

Mitch

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,550 Posts
I get about 4 mpg going up a 5% grade during that time of going up that grade towing a #7000 TT... On the other side, I can let off and let it 'coast' down in 6th and get 99 mpg during that time frame..

All depends on when you reset that instant mpg thing..

Seems the 2.7's get pretty good hwy mpg's not towing. That's great. I've seen a best of 21 mpg on a straight 100 mile hwy run going about 65 mph in my 13 Eco.

Best I ever got with my old 97 F150 with the 5.4 and 3.55 gears was 17 on the hwy...

Towing, both get/got 10 mpg's at best towing a #5000 TT or the new #7000 TT..

Oh well... They do have a new electric F150 and Mustang now, so guess that's where we are going now...

Hope they have quick charge things at the rest stops! :)

Mitch
Most honest mpg post ever.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree...I was never looking for a mpg hero. Just commenting on the reasons folks buy the 2.7 v6.

I just noted that it isn’t stellar and some folks say...just average.

I also wanted a truck and never expected anything over 16-18 mpg. I’m happy at 19+.
but I’d be happy with 15.

just commenting that it’s not the stellar mpg king that many people make it out to be.
My previous job was 30 miles away on all backroad highways. I set the cruise for 61mph and got 24 mpg consistently. Now my current job is 10 miles away and mostly stop and go with a little bit of highway mixed in. I'm averaging about 19 mpg (18 now in the winter). I just broke 50,000 miles. MPG gets better with more miles. Absolutely love the 2.7L with the tremendous amount of power and great fuel economy. I get better mpg than my wife's Ford Edge with the 3.5L. LOL.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
My previous job was 30 miles away on all backroad highways. I set the cruise for 61mph and got 24 mpg consistently. Now my current job is 10 miles away and mostly stop and go with a little bit of highway mixed in. I'm averaging about 19 mpg (18 now in the winter). I just broke 50,000 miles. MPG gets better with more miles. Absolutely love the 2.7L with the tremendous amount of power and great fuel economy. I get better mpg than my wife's Ford Edge with the 3.5L. LOL.
My wife’s 2016 3.5 Edge gets 24/19 hwy/city.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts