F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
2018 SCAB 2WD 2.7EB 3.73 Axle 28,600 mile all stock
Hand calculated lifetime average not towing anything 22.5 mpg Best tank 25.7, worst 19.3
2/3 of the mileage 4 lane 63-75 mph, rest around town Mostly flat with some rolling hills
Towing car trailer or utility trailer, 16.5 - 20.2 mpg

Fuel always major brand, half of the time Exxon 87 octane, other half Sunoco 90 octane non-ethanol

Love the truck, just hope the electrical systems hold up

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Haven't found the OEM intake or exhaust on my 2.7 restrictive, in fact they impressed me with the flow capacity. Not much to gain performance wise from changing on a stock F150. The difference between octane has more to do with power production than fuel mileage. The truck does push a lot of air, the 2.7 will go into boost quickly, the options often ordered add a good chuck of weight, traffic moves at higher speeds now. This added with personal driving habits creates the results.
Personally I'm impressed with the mileage. I'm pushing a 4200 (yeah it's a lightweight) full size truck with a 400+ horsepower (yeah again, some modifications) on the highway at 70 MPH, and can get 25+ MPG and that is not babying it for mileage. I've seen 27+ hauling a canoe on a rack with it. Cold weather mileage does drop, and I blame the trany/cooler as it takes 15 miles of driving to get it near operating range, once up to temp the mileage improves by 10%+. No complaints from me. KM

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost
139 Posts
Hey y’all, I have a 2016 2.7 and I get 20.1mpg right now and I do mostly city driving. I probably never drive more than 50 miles in one trip. This past summer I was getting 21mpg. When I first bought the truck I was using 87 fuel and was getting like 19.2 then I switched to 91 and have been using that almost a year now. I’m impressed with the mileage, and honestly, I don’t really care about mileage. I’m going to tune my truck soon and I just want performance, don’t care about mileage.

·
Registered
2020 F-150 STX 4x4 Supercab
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update
Now that I’ve had my 2020 2.7 for 7,000 miles I thought I’d try some premium fuel as is recommended by a lot of other owners.

Since new I’ve been getting 19.1 to 19.9 mpg overall driving. With a 3 hour hiway trip I thought it was time to try 93 octane.

When I started the trip, the mpg meter showed 19.6 mpg average. I had well under 1/4 tank when I filled it with premium. After 3 hours of driving straight hiway between 72 and 78 mph, the final result was 19.2 mph. I’ve made this trip 12-15 times with the truck, and general end at the same old 19.6 mpg. I noticed absolutely no difference in performance.

On the return trip I went back to 87 octane, and finished the trip home at 19.4 mpg.

So, the only differences were a 2-4 tenths of a mpg decrease and a lighter wallet. Guess I’ll be sticking with 87 octane and save some money.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I did a 2200 mile trip on 91 octane only and didn’t notice anything different and the mpg was the same. I’ll stay with 87. But if I were to tow I’ll do 91.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did a 2200 mile trip on 91 octane only and didn’t notice anything different and the mpg was the same. I’ll stay with 87. But if I were to tow I’ll do 91.
I’m not sure why you
Update
Now that I’ve had my 2020 2.7 for 7,000 miles I thought I’d try some premium fuel as is recommended by a lot of other owners.

Since new I’ve been getting 19.1 to 19.9 mpg overall driving. With a 3 hour hiway trip I thought it was time to try 93 octane.

When I started the trip, the mpg meter showed 19.6 mpg average. I had well under 1/4 tank when I filled it with premium. After 3 hours of driving straight hiway between 72 and 78 mph, the final result was 19.2 mph. I’ve made this trip 12-15 times with the truck, and general end at the same old 19.6 mpg. I noticed absolutely no difference in performance.

On the return trip I went back to 87 octane, and finished the trip home at 19.4 mpg.

So, the only differences were a 2-4 tenths of a mpg decrease and a lighter wallet. Guess I’ll be sticking with 87 octane and save some money.
Not sure why you didn’t get an increase, I do town driving, like maybe 60 miles a day, more stop and go, and I used 87 for a while and was getting 19.5. Then I switched to 91, gave it time for the system to adapt and then I got 19.8, then I did an AFE cold air intake and I get 20.9mpg. Now I have a downpipe and exhaust and I still am getting 20mpg now, but that’s not being super careful with the accelerator. I don’t pull or haul anything and most of the time it’s just me in the truck.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Yeah the 3.5 is a gas guzzler. Especially 12 Gens. My 2011 gets about 17-18 highway and 14 city. Which isn’t bad at all actually lol. But I do have 35’s with a level running 91 BK tune.

I ain’t complaining :cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah the 3.5 is a gas guzzler. Especially 12 Gens. My 2011 gets about 17-18 highway and 14 city. Which isn’t bad at all actually lol. But I do have 35’s with a level running 91 BK tune.

I ain’t complaining :cool:
Sweet setup. I honestly don’t care about gas mileage, especially if it means sacrificing mileage for power.

·
Premium Member
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 EgoBeast SuperCrew 4X4, 3.55 axles, 9.75" w/elocker
2,550 Posts
As long as my stock 3.5 Eco gets better MPG than my 3.slow Ranger, I'm happy.

·
Registered
2019 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Screw
36 Posts
I find driving my 2.7 with a light foot does me best. Anything over 70mph drops the mpg like a rock.

I drove from Vegas to St. George UT and back two weekends ago. Coming back we had a nasty wind storm pushing us from the passenger front. Still averaged 22mpg (22.3 to be exact) hand calculated. I just kept it about 65 on the return trip. Family and I were in no hurry since we were just doing the trip to get out of the house for the day.

Granted my drive to work is highway but the last few tanks I've been seeing 22mpg driving 65-70mph. I keep it easy with a "blast off" once in a while. 😇 I find keeping an easy on/off the throttle really helps out as well as anticipating any stop lights I do have on my trip.

On long down hills (or steep) with the cruise, the truck holds itself back which also cost mpg, so I normally just drive myself.

FYI, I have a 2.7 4x4 3.55 gears, just turned over 9k miles on the way home today, stock other than the bed cover and run 87 octane. Hope this helps out

41 - 54 of 54 Posts