F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a set of the msd coils for the truck. Went to install them but one coil I cant get the wire clip to release from the coil. Will it hurt anything to drive it with 5 of the MSD coils and one stock coil.?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind I finally got it. 30 minute job took an hour and 15 minutes. Five coils done in 20 min the rest of the time on on stubborn wire connector. Adult beverage time now

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Good deal. I hope you give us your take on those vs. the stock ones, once you get some good drive time on them. I've seen the question asked before, wondered myself.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will do

Reactions: Mikedick77

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seemed to today once I got them installed. :) Butt dyno says about 20hp, not the 25 as stated in the other thread. But I also didn't put the stickers on the truck.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
DB....wash truck thoroughly, maybe apply a pinch wax-than add the stickers. Ohh and don't spare the engine bay-lol
That should make up for the 5 additional HP?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nevermind I finally got it. 30 minute job took an hour and 15 minutes. Five coils done in 20 min the rest of the time on on stubborn wire connector. Adult beverage time now
Brakes on the back of my daughter's Escape: disk over parking break drum. 20 minuites to jack, support, pull the disk/drum, plug in the new pads, remove the old parking brake. Couldn't get the springs in. Off to HF for a cheap set of needlenose locking. OK, 1 down, and 4 hours wasted. Off to the other side. Quickly got it apart, off, then same struggle with the parking brake springs. 90 minutes later I'm sweating like a prize fighter and not accomplishing much. Sent the daughter, in my F-150, to Home Depot to get a real pair of locking needlenose pliers. 15 minutes later I'm done. Harbor Frieight hand tools are crap. The jaws simply got dull and wouldn't hook in to spring metal. Honest semi-professional tools did.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right tool for the job always wins out

Reactions: curtcharlespdx

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Any word on how these are from a reliability standpoint so far? I have a flakey #3 coil when it gets bitter cold, and might go this route. I've already ordered 6 new coil connectors from Rockauto, as i'd rather spend the extra time on the job soldering lol. Seriously though, all 3 of my passenger side clips are broken, and I believe #3 is the back of the engine, passenger side. Why not replace them all since i'll probably break the other 3 coming off?

I know coils dont give HP, so that hogwash aside, reliability, codes? For the price i'd take a shot on em as an OEM replacement.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I have installed them I have not had any issues with them. Truck runs fine and have had no codes pop up.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I’ve run mine for around a year without issue. I am pretty sure outside of OEM, MSD are the only coils that Gearhead and other recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
I’ve run mine for around a year without issue. I am pretty sure outside of OEM, MSD are the only coils that Gearhead and other recommend.

Fantastic feedback! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that compared to the cost of OE coils, a set of the MSD is money well spent. Granted most people only will by one or two of the OE coils at a time. When I was looking I had three causing problems. The OE coils were about $60 each at O'Reillys and the MSDs were $235 with free shipping. It was a no brainer for me. The cost factor was the main reason I went with the MSD. As for long term use time will tell as I had mine about a month. But I read reviews and most of them were favorable.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
249 bucks, free prime next day shipping here. Have a set in my possession now. Just waiting on the RockAuto shipment with my wiring clips. Good votes of confidence on these guys. Helped me pull the trigger last night on them. I only had one bad one, but to hell with getting nickeled and dimed to death on that one.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
249 bucks, free prime next day shipping here. Have a set in my possession now. Just waiting on the RockAuto shipment with my wiring clips. Good votes of confidence on these guys. Helped me pull the trigger last night on them. I only had one bad one, but to hell with getting nickeled and dimed to death on that one.
If it were me, I would be just pulling the pins out of your old clips, and plugging into the new clips. I wouldn't be soldering diddly.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
I'll look into doing that. I have 3 good ones to see how they come off before I try getting the bad ones off. It'd be easier for sure your way.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
858 Posts
Pin trick worked on 4, other 2 I said F it, and snipped and soldered. All the coils are in, takes off like a streak of poop. Definitely faster with the MSD's on, but admittedly, I had a bad coil, so more to do with that i'm positive. Maybe it'd be faster if I did the sticker trick? They did send me 2, for double the extra power....

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Pin trick worked on 4, other 2 I said F it, and snipped and soldered. All the coils are in, takes off like a streak of poop. Definitely faster with the MSD's on, but admittedly, I had a bad coil, so more to do with that i'm positive. Maybe it'd be faster if I did the sticker trick? They did send me 2, for double the extra power....
You gotta put the decals on, if you actually want to see power gains.

Honestly though, if your stock coils were getting tired, you probably would have noticed the same improvement putting another stock set in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts