F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some extra time before work and took a few videos. Flat ground 50 degrees no wind. The 0-110 was 4x4 hi launch. The 30-115 was 2wd.

0-110.

30-115.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
Boosted launch vid looks pretty strong. Truck sounds good too. Seems like the shifting is a bit lazy. How's it feel when you're driving?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the daily driving. The throttle position isn't manipulated like the trex tune I tried. 25% is 25%, 50% is 50%. It drives and shifts like stock but the power is there when you mash it. I would feel comfortable letting my grandma drive it where as the ssi tune I didn't even feel comfortable at times. The shifting is nice and firm at WOT I think.

·
Registered
868 Posts
what i noticed by watching the 0-110 vid is how narrow the shift points are.
im not a drag racer and cant compare any videos but it shifts right around 6000 and pulls down to around 4200 and from what i have seen on dyno sheets these engines suffer on top end.
maybe some of the racers will have more insight but i think the shift points are to high since these engines make so much torque down low
the sheets i have seen show torque falling off after 4200-4500 and that is where you are pulling from after a gear change.

im very curious about the shift points now and hope to hear some other opinions from the racers !

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take into account that I have 3.31's for whatever that's worth. The gears are gonna be taller. I think it pulls equally as hard through shifts.

·
Registered
868 Posts
here is a dyno sheet that caught my eye a while back with several combos and looking at this sheet i would think the shift point needs to be closer to 5000 and pull down to around 3200 because after 4000 your on the down swing of the torque.
lets see how a few other more experienced guys interpret it !
intake tuner compar ecoboost.png
i see a loss of lets call it 60 ftlbs of usable torque from 5,000 to 6,000 and the peak is in the range of 3,100-3,200.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i am going to watch this thread and hopefully someone can explain how it all works because i want to learn all these tricks but as far as i know your final drive ratio would be irrelevant to where the engines power band is.
it would only effect the rpm band between the gear changes and be slightly broader than someone with the 4:10 gears.

keep in mind i understand this graph is not going to be the same as every engine combo but it does have the SCT tune to reference off of with a CAI.

watching your video i see it laboring to get from 5,000-6,000 and that is probably something to do with the tall gears but i would like to see what happens if your shift point was dropped to 5,000 and used more of the rpm band that has higher torque.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm curious as well but I think I can explain why for acceleration you always want maximum rpm in each gear. Say for example it makes 350 hp at 5000 rpm and 300 at 6000. Holding the lower gear longer with a shorter ratio still makes more acceleration even with less hp, if that makes any sence. So shifting shorter may make more engine power but will be overall less acceleration force because it will be in taller gears.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not balsy enough to run 100+ mph in 4HI, nice videos though!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not balsy enough to run 100+ mph in 4HI, nice videos though!
I got plenty of warranty left. :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
true there are so many variables that i dont understand all of it.
i know as you increase your gears your giving up that efficiency of the lower gear but there has to be a trade off and i dont know how to determine it.
i bet someone out there does !

watch your video and see that your still in 3rd gear at like 110 mph and see how long it takes to sweep your rpms from 5,000 to 6,000 while in 3rd.

my interpretation would be to shift each gear a little sooner as you keep increasing them say
1-2 shift is fine as is
2-3 shift maybe a few hundred sooner
then that 3-4 shift maybe should be down between that 5,000-5500.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I like your thinking. In reference to your 3rd gear at 110 comment, I don't know if a taller 4th gear with a little more power would be better, worse, or no difference. I think at those speeds the fact that these are big tall heavy 4x4 trucks come in to play and the acceleration is what it is. Definitely hope someone that really knows more about this stuff chimes in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haha hopefully they don't watch YouTube.
Just keep your Vin and face out of the video

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Horrid isn't it....first time I heard it I was pretty much like WTF?!? Heard part of it today on my way to work, I had WAIT, PAUSE in my frickin head all day.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts