F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
HOW TO: Install 170° Thermostat

Finally had time to install my 170 degree thermostat in my 13' Ecoboost (This should work on 2011-2014 Ecoboosts). Here's a little write up that might help some:
Parts needed.
1 - Gallon of Motorcraft ORANGE coolant concentrate
1 - Gallon of distilled water
1 - Reische Performance 170° Performance Thermostat
Tools needed.
8mm socket with ratchet and 6" or 9" extention
Flat head screw driver for air intake clamps
Drain pan
Large Taco Bell cup
With an extra clean empty gallon contanier, combine 1/2 the water and 1/2 the coolant. Mix the other half and you'll have 2 gallons of 50/50 coolant
Remove coolant bottle cap
Remove the air intake y pipe in the middle(3 hose clamps)
Place large drain pan directly under the truck below the front of the engine
Using the 8mm socket with extenion and ratchet loosen the 2 bolts on thermostat housing
As it starts to leak coolant out hold Taco Bell cup under to catch most of the mess(your're going to make some mess regardless)
Remove both bolts and remove old thermostat and the o ring
Install new thermostat same way old one came out
Replace bolts, don't over tighten(I was going to torque to spec but impossible to fit my torque wrench in at that angle)
Pour in 1 gallon of your mixture
Start truck, let idle, turn heat on full blast
Check for leaks
Squeeze both upper and lower radiatior hoses repeatedly to get air out
Replace coolant cap
Drive till full operating temperature
Check for leaks
Top off coolant
I had a hard time getting the air out. I actually called Reische because I thought the thermostat was defective. They we're very helpful and helped me determine it was just air. If you have no heat and your temps are climbing past 210 degrees at idle like mine did you probably have an air pocket. Reving mine up to about 4k RPM and holding it along with squeezing the hoses did the trick. It's 30 degrees outside here. Now my temps are 180 cruising and it's hard to get past 195 beating on it. Before it would get past 200 just at an idle. I read some people only needed 1 gallon of coolant, I needed about 1 1/4 gallons, so don't buy 1 gallon of premix as it might not be enough. Hope this helps anyone that's getting ready to do this. It took me 30-40 minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Sweet write up. I'm a out to do this too :)

Boosting hard, boosting safe since 2013

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad I could help.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Great writeup. What prompted you to want to lower the operating temp of the coolant?

·
Registered
440 Posts
You read my mind. I was just about to look up ways people did this and BOOM here it is, lol. Thanks and seems very easy!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great writeup. What prompted you to want to lower the operating temp of the coolant?
These things just run too damn hot. In this cold winter I've seen 215 degrees when running my truck hard WOT with just the canned SCT tune. I can only imagine when it's hot outside and a higher power tune how hot this thing would get.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But does it absolutely have to be a Taco Bell cup? Because that place always gives me explosive diarrhea....TMI I know....just sayin'. :p
I could eat Taco Bell 24/7!

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
These things just run too damn hot. In this cold winter I've seen 215 degrees when running my truck hard WOT with just the canned SCT tune. I can only imagine when it's hot outside and a higher power tune how hot this thing would get.
Don't ask....

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Do you have the 170* tstat Scap?

So much boost it broke my hand eH

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm not running a 170 stat and he's never said anything about my temps. I guess I'm alright. I rank up there with most tuned miles too.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm not running a 170 stat and he's never said anything about my temps. I guess I'm alright. I rank up there with most tuned miles too.
I was sporting a stock intercooler, at that time. It was over 100° ambient, and I had heart soaked everything during in traffic before I did a WOT pull for him. It was super nasty. He had to dial down the tune several times just to add some safety due to the heat I was dealing with last summer.
After I got the stat and intercooler. All is good.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've got 44,000 tuned. How about you?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Do I have to use Ford antifreeze?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
So I've looked and looked and do not see a factory o-ring anywhere. There's not one on the t-stat, and there's not one stuck in the housing or on the fitting that the lower radiator hose attaches to.

WTF am I missing? Is it possible that the 13 doesn't use one? Where was this mystery o-ring and what does it look like?

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

Edit, and Scap, how did you barely lose any coolant? Mine came out like a pink niagra falls! I'm no master mechanic, but I'm not a dumbass either. Maybe I missed something...I was using a McCallister's cup and not a Taco Bell one...

Reactions: mwemaxxowner

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Thanks. Dammit this sucks!!

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 146 Posts