F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there benefit or downside of swapping to thermostat to 170 of you don't have a tune - just running bone stock ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you for the great write-up. The work was relatively painless and only took 25 minutes or so. Before I started, I was a bit worried, as my t-stat only came with an O-Ring, and someone here (forgive me for not recalling your username) showed a gasket that would slip over and cover (like an old chevy 350 gasket) both sides of the thermostat, however, it was exactly like the one that came out with the old thermostat.
My temps have gotten as high as 200, heat is blowing out of the vents, everything is topped off, but I'm not hearing fans come on yet. I've got an updated tune that I'll load later this evening and hopefully that should have the fans come on. As it sits now, it won't get over 200, even if I'm revving it to 3k.

As an FYI, the orange Motorcraft coolant at O'Reilly's is about $35. Way more expensive than just 'Orange Antifreeze'. I hope it's worth it for the Motorcraft stuff, but like someone said, "It's a $50k truck, why cheap out with crappy antifreeze.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Prestone Dex-cool has Ford certification for the coolant, WSS-M97B44-D2. Use it without concern:

https://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-radiator-additives-and-windshield-wash-fluid/antifreeze/prestone-antifreeze-engine-coolant/672816_0_0

Thank you for the great write-up. The work was relatively painless and only took 25 minutes or so. Before I started, I was a bit worried, as my t-stat only came with an O-Ring, and someone here (forgive me for not recalling your username) showed a gasket that would slip over and cover (like an old chevy 350 gasket) both sides of the thermostat, however, it was exactly like the one that came out with the old thermostat.
My temps have gotten as high as 200, heat is blowing out of the vents, everything is topped off, but I'm not hearing fans come on yet. I've got an updated tune that I'll load later this evening and hopefully that should have the fans come on. As it sits now, it won't get over 200, even if I'm revving it to 3k.

As an FYI, the orange Motorcraft coolant at O'Reilly's is about $35. Way more expensive than just 'Orange Antifreeze'. I hope it's worth it for the Motorcraft stuff, but like someone said, "It's a $50k truck, why cheap out with crappy antifreeze.

141 - 145 of 145 Posts