F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 39 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum and I would like to share my recent upgrade for my 2016 F150 Ecoboost 3.5L. (the photos are not the best :))

Maybe the most interesting upgrade among the 3 that I have mentioned in the thread title is “Comp Turbos” which are a bolt-on type for 2013-2016 Ecoboost engines. (Model CTR-X600)

My first choice was Garrett PowerMax, but the local dealer lead time for Garrett turbos was 3 months and CPR Turbos are exceeding my budget, I was left with Comp Turbos which has similar price as Garrett PowerMax.

in this photo the Comp Turbo installed already in the truck: (behind the turbo you can see the BD Diesel exhaust manifold gasket in black color)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Tread

All above parts were installed in a shop and they did encounter small problem while replacing the turbos. Slight sign of Coolant leak exhibit on the driver side turbo, although these parts are not expensive, but they were not available in stock, and I had to wait for 1 week for delivery.

am referring to this connector on the stock turbo below:
Fluid Gas Plumbing Nut Auto part

I had to replace the connectors along with the steel tube for both turbos to make sure no leaking will occur in future.

Since I was replacing the turbos, I thought of changing the stock Exhaust manifold with Aftermarket BD Diesel exhaust manifold with 3 extra studs to hold the manifold in place, will sure help eliminate any potential warpage in future.

stock manifold not showing any sign of bend (maby i need to put a steel ruler to see if any minor bend is there)
White Bicycle part Auto part Wood Metal

The downpipe upgrade was in my mind for some time, and I decided to do it now, since all 3 parts are in the same area, I can reduce some labor cost. CVF Stainless Steel Catted Downpipes was my decision for a good quality product and reasonably priced.

they sure look good from this angle:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Nut

I have replaced the spark plugs with gap 0.029 to be ready for 5 star tune.
Household hardware Cylinder Nickel Engineering Auto part

Hand Gesture Finger Tool Nail

above gap in mm equivalent to 0.029inches

I have received the car today and the shop took it for a test drive multiple times and confirm no leaks and the truck run normally.

But as the Arabic proverb says, “Winds blows counter to what ships desire”, I am now having check engine light on.:cry:
Speedometer Trip computer Steering part Tachometer Gauge

I hope its only because of the downpipe not the turbos. The truck runs and feel normal, I will drop the truck again tomorrow to the shop to check the code and hopefully its not turbo related.

am delaying the 5 Star tune flashing till I sort out this issue. hope its minor error code.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
yes its the down-pipe "Error code P0420" the right-side catalyst.
i will need to buy defouler. time to search for one with highest success rate for F150.

i have removed the error and will go ahead and flash 5 Star Tune anyway.

looking forward to see the performance benefit after 5 star tuning.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Flashed the 5 star tune and am impressed. i love gear shift the most :love: they nailed it. i will contune testing the tune for now.

i have tried MPT tune previously with stock Turbo and Downpipe, it was good tune but has very aggressive gear shift, after 6 months i started having rough shifts.

The only thing that bugs me about those codes/cel is that I can't remote start with them active. If you get the restrictions before me please let me know if they work
i will let you know.

leave you now with some photos of my ride :cool:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Car

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Tire

Discussion starter · #9 ·
The trucks and American cars are more famous in this region than European cars. we lean more toward big engines, big SUVS and trucks. (we don't believe in Climate change and we don't care, summer is as long as 6 months with temp reach's (120F) 48c degree)
the trucks are more favourable here for desert off-roading and camping.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
i got the "CEL" error again. i emailed 5star if they can turn it off for me as am an international customer 😁 not US based.
waiting for their reply, otherwise i have to try defouler.

The only thing that bugs me about those codes/cel is that I can't remote start with them active. If you get the restrictions before me please let me know if they work
you are right, remote start is not working with "CEL active" as you said.

Reactions: rjschatts
Discussion starter · #18 ·
Got the defouler, and fixed it on the right side of the downpipe, i hope the O2 sensor will not bother to bring CEL again :LOL:

it's been a week now after the upgrade and 5star flash, and here is my feedback:

1) Turbos (Stock Vs Comp Turbos)
Comp Turbos behave different than stock when it comes to boost gauge indicator.
the boost gauge indicator with stock turbos (tuned) was very active, i can see the boost indicator more frequently moving back and forth even when i cursing at fixed speed on the highway.
with Comp Turbos the boost gauge is not very active, even if my speed is 45-50MPH the turbo boost gauge is not moving much sometimes not moving at all. but under high acceleration it boosts immediately. i used to see the boost gauge very active with stock turbos, but with Comp turbos it not. but still the truck runs normal, and the boost indicator is active whenever i demand acceleration (or you can say load on the truck).

2) CVF catted Downpipe
i can talk about downsize only here because I don't have a proof that Downpipe improved My performance, since my upgrade was involving 3 components including a new tune at the same time.
downsizes are louder exhaust note and CEL. I have Magna Flow cat-back and it has a deep exhaust note, but now with CVF downpipe its louder and i consider it noisy.

3) BD Diesel exhaust manifold
theoretically these should hold better that stock manifold and has less tendency towards warpage. now i have no more noisy sound after cold start coming from the passenger side turbos.
i guess it was manifold problem, because once the car become warm, the noise is gone and sometimes the noise will be very minimal.

4) Tuning
before 5star tune and my recent upgrade I was running Lund racing tune also MPT (with stock turbos), i was facing high temp issue in summer season. the truck engine temp when driving on highway with cruise control on at constant speed of 86mph will reach to 248F (although I have upgraded the intercooler, radiator & transmission cooler), while running with stock tune will not promote any temp issue.
i have noticed the following, while cruising at constant speed (86mph) on the highway, the turbos will become very busy and the boost gauge is very active going back and forth, causing the turbos to work very hard and heat up and soaking all these heat to the engine and raises the temperature.
here where the idea came to me to upgrade the turbos with bigger one, to allow naturally for better & higher turbo flow without pushing the turbo to work very hard and generate heat.

now with 5star tune and the recent upgrades i can say that i don't have engine temp problem anymore.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
The reason you’re saying boost isn’t very active on the comp turbos compared to stock turbos is because the comp turbos are larger, don’t spool as quickly and stay in vacuum for longer than the stock turbos. It also could be the way 5Star has the tune set up.
i guess it's true, because Comp turbos was behaving the same even before flashing 5star tune.

Reactions: boostkingMatt
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Update:
after installing the defouler, the CEL is back 😢 (defouler option failed)

Discussion starter · #26 ·
am going to try moving the downstream O2 sensor away for the CAT as per Todd suggestion from TL Tech, similar to the location of O2 sensor of what StainlessWorks Downpipe, AMS and others has.
I think it's worth to try it.
I will try to do it by next week and maybe share some photos with you guys.

i will update you guys once done.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
am back with bad news for me :LOL:

i have relocated the O2 sensors on my CVF downpipe far from the CAT, but i got CEL back again :cry:

Photos are below for the O2 sensor new locations TIG welded:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Musical instrument Motor vehicle Rim

Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting Gas Bicycle part

i still need to confirm the code, but i assume it's the same P0420.
i will check the code tomorrow and let you know guys.

is it possible that the sensor not working properly? or got damaged while replacing the downpipe, which causing throwing P0420.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I tried to buy these first, but website did not accept non-US PayPal account. i have already asked a friend to buy it for me. he is visiting Dubai in 10 days.
I will try them and see if they will work for me.

Reactions: 3.5shadowblack17
Discussion starter · #31 ·
SPD extenders are not available any more i guess

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Update on my CEL problem.
Todd from TL Tech helped me with a tune to turn off CEL for my truck. its been more than 7 days driving my truck without CEL.
scanning for DTC with Forscan showing no codes for P0420 or P0430.

placed an order for two new upgrades are Full Race turbo Adapter kit and AMS Turbo Inlet Tube, both should arrive in 10 days from now and they would be the final upgrade for my truck.

1 - 13 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.