F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1057 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 Lariat Super Crew 2WD.
Was looking at the 5.0, but then fell in love with the Lariat look and all the bells and whistles so it came home instead. This build happened over a 9 month period and is still ongoing but I finally decided to get around to documenting it.

az-2013-lariat.jpg

Didn't take long in having the 'Boost in the stable that I stumbled on this site while looking for mods. Started poking around and realized the potential of this truck. I decided that the computer needed updating and the exhaust needed to be louder. I still had my SCT 3015 so all I needed was tune files. I as very much still recovering from my divorce at the time financially, so I listened to sound clips and went with what I could afford, which was the 4 inch MBRP performance exhaust and 5 Star tunes. Super easy bolt on exhaust… Noted that the exhaust absolutely robbed low end torque (as reported throughout the forums, 4 inches seems better oriented for top end gain). Tunes of course woke truck up…

DSC00826.JPG

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Then I decided I needed more intake noise, so a aFe Stage 2 CAI arrived along with the aFe Bladerunner charge pipe. The charge pipe was a royal pain in the butt to install… High quality piece just a pain to install. No gains noted in the butt dyno (as expected) with either the CAI or charge pipe.

DSC00784 (1280x720).jpg

DSC00783 (720x1280).jpg

Decided I needed a little more custom with my tuning and switched over to Erick at LET for my 91 octane tunes.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Soon enough I grew tired of the exhaust note of the MBRP and the associated low end torque loss I had experienced and the stock exhaust went back on for a month or so and I ordered a Truxedo TruXport roll-up tunneau cover and the Magnaflow Turn-Down cat back. Cat back was super easy to install, it’s only 4 ½ feet long (Uses factory resonator), has a nice sound to it with little to no drone. TruXport was a great buy… Full bed available in under 30 seconds, does a pretty good job of keeping water out of the bed (of course some comes in, but not enough to ruin anything).

DSC00824.JPG

Phone Backup 115.jpeg

Phone Backup 116.jpeg

This is how I stayed for quite some time (July 2014-Dec 2014), happy with the exhaust note most of the time, but knowing that the Magnaflow would be a restrictor when I finally bought new downpipes.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I finally settled in on replacing the Magnaflow with the Full Race resonated cat back. Loved the sound in the clips. That of course led me to their website and I started looking at the DP’s, CAC and CAI options. Made a batch order since they are local for me. Ordered the Full Race resonated cat back, catted down pipes, CAI and CAC with meth bungs anodized black. The CAC was being special made due to the meth bungs and anodizing, so everything else went on first. I noted right away that EVERYTHING was finished extremely well. Weld points were cleaned up and polished nicely, all parts fit to a tight tolerance. I literally debated cleaning my truck up before putting the parts on… they looked like they deserved a clean truck! CAI of course was super easy (look for my review thread), believe that throttle response woke up a little after letting the computer re-map. Down pipes was a real job alone, put the truck up on stands and got it done. Absolutely beautiful parts.. Cat Back went on with no issues, again beautiful parts. I’ve never wanted to lay under my truck and polish parts before now LOL.

DSC00796 (1280x720).jpg

DSC00821.JPG

DSC00817.JPG

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00807.JPG

DSC00806.JPG

DSC00805.JPG

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Since I was waiting on the CAC to be built I decided I might as well spend more money. Ordered a Amp Research bed extender HD Max, more than once I have not used the bed due to everything sliding to the front and since I have the baby bed I frequently am leaving the tailgate down when carrying large loads. Along with that I decided to do the tailgate assist from DeeZee to ease lowering the gate as well as to reduce bouncing of the gate when it’s down and I go over a bump. Both were super easy to install and the extender has already seen use converting the bed into more of a contained trunk space. Since I was at the back of the truck I decided to add a 60” Recon White Lightning LED tailgate bar to make the back look a little different. Install was simple, I tapped into the 7 plug trailer harness instead of wiring like Stage3’s video, this let me run all the wires to 1 location and hide everything.

DSC00844.JPG

DSC00845.JPG

DSC00846.JPG

DSC00842.JPG

DSC00847.JPG

DSC00839.JPG

DSC00841.JPG

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Since I put lights on the back, I then turned to the fogs up front. My Lariat has the factory HID’s which I really like, but those factory fogs needed to go. Since I am not trying to pretend to be an offroad truck, I didn’t want to add some of the excellent offroad options so went with the Morimoto bulb replacement. Followed the guide in the main install thread, went silly easy. Not quite a dead match, but a significant improvement and when properly aimed make a nice addition.

DSC00836.JPG

DSC00837.JPG

DSC00838.JPG

DSC00840.JPG

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Full Race CAC arrived and went in with no issues. As with all the other Full Race pieces, extremely high quality. Prior to installing the Full Race I did a couple of data logs with it being ~55 degrees outside and saw a max of 129 and 109 average IAT2 temps. Post CAC install I logged in at a max of 86 degrees with average of 76… Outside temp was within 5 degrees. Great proof for me that it was money well spent.

DSC00828.JPG

DSC00830.JPG

DSC00829.JPG

DSC00833.JPG

DSC00834.JPG

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Worked with Erick at LET to dial truck in, seems like we are hitting a wall on going any further but it’s lightning fast with my current rev tune. I decided to add another tuner to the stable as well and am data logging with Torrie at Unleashed now (not because I’m unhappy….. at this point new tunes are the cheapest mod I can do LOL). BOTH of these gents are making nice tunes that log safe and pull hard. I will not be doing a direct tune to tune review comparison at this time, but I can now recommend 5 Star, Unleashed and LET as great tunes and great guys to work with. Torrie and Erick should give lessons on customer service… they are both awesome. I will be doing a dyno session here in Phoenix in the next couple of weeks before the heat comes, so I will have pulls from both tunes but I’m betting they are very evenly matched on power.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
While I had been waiting for the CAC I ordered a new hood from Reflexxion. It’s a “Cowl Induction Hood” and was simply an effort to make the truck look different from the other zillion F150’s out there. It’s at the paint booth now…

20150217_111424.jpg

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Next up to bat for performance? Meth for sure this year (before summer). Turbo’s and fuel either later this fall or early next year. Tires and rims are on the list as are LED’s across the board, bed lights, new sub to replace the Sony. I’ll update thread with the hood, it will be back from paint this coming week.
Loving this truck.... blessed to have the income and knowledge to do the work myself.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son calls it the "White Shadow".... He's four and his favorite movie is Turbo... so if you don't have small kids the name is likely lost on you..

·
Vendor
7,050 Posts
Very nice!!

2014 FX4 Appearance Pckg (Black) , LET 93 Tuned, LET Cutout (coming soon) 3.55 gearing, UPR MEGA Catch Can, SOLO Cattless O/R Down Pipe, AFE Charge Pipe, S&B CAI, Stage 3 Raptor LED Grille Lights, Stage 3 LED Reverse Bulbs, Recon White Lightning Tailgate LED Light Bar, LED Fog Bulbs (MAK)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Very nice progress! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice!!

2014 FX4 Appearance Pckg (Black) , LET 93 Tuned, LET Cutout (coming soon) 3.55 gearing, UPR MEGA Catch Can, SOLO Cattless O/R Down Pipe, AFE Charge Pipe, S&B CAI, Stage 3 Raptor LED Grille Lights, Stage 3 LED Reverse Bulbs, Recon White Lightning Tailgate LED Light Bar, LED Fog Bulbs (MAK)
Very nice progress! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks guys.... I did the major performance stuff up front. Now its time for appearance mods. Tempted to drop it a couple of inches (not slammed, just a couple). Rim and graphics have been harder... with the Adobe stripe at the bottom (which I like), a lot of rims and graphics just look terrible IMO... Plus as a 2wd so many of the parts just don't work since they are designed for 4wd builds.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a few requests for vids of DP's and exhaust....

In Garage Start-up

In Garage-In Cab rev

At Stop light

Driving around

Bouncing off wall

There ya go!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hood finally done

Hood finally came back from paint....

Old

20150323_163951.jpg
20150323_163957.jpg

New

20150323_170149.jpg
20150323_170155.jpg

Since they took so long to paint it (5 weeks!!!!!!) They mounted it for free... Fully installed. Then cut me an additional 10% off for my delay. I love it!

While I've been waiting...... I ordered the Kicker subwoofer upgrade off E-Bay (in the accessories section of forum... $324.95). It should arrive on the 30th. Next up is either Meth (have to solve tank mounting dilemma with Full Race Intercooler taking up normal mounting space) or tires and wheels.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 1057 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
66 Participants
Rodneytxps
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing