F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey my names pete, I'm new to the site but not new to trucks or towing, I'm from pittsburgh pa, i own a detail shop and i buy sell build trade antique cars and hot rods.

A few months ago I bought a 2014 CCLB 4x4 ecoboost appearance package f-150 out of canada. mainly because of its funky options. its the most highly optioned f150 ive ever seen.

I will post pictures of factory sticker soon.

anyways, in the canadian manual for the truck it rates it at 15k+ towing

and i've towed 12k+ with it 3 times now, stops and starts with ease never overheats, just a few days ago i toted a 8000lb bobcat on a 3500lb equipment trailer through state college area on 322. up and down all those mountains, it didnt like the steep hills but still did it at 50mph in 3rd gear

in addition to all of that, all of my friends have f150's, two buddies with ecoboosts, every time we race my truck has 5-6 car lengths on them and leaves them way behind off the line.

either my truck is some sort of factory freak, or someone has a tune on it. i bought it with 13k miles. also, it gets horrific fuel mileage, around 7-10 on highway towing which i dont think is bad, i travel out west to dakotas and the head wind usually keeps the turbos in the 8-10 psi range the entire trip as expected, 12 around town and 15 unloaded on highway at 70 mph

my mechanic thinks it's different than a us model. it only has 2 cats, not sure how many a us model has

it also is very loud for a stock exhaust, way louder than my buddies trucks.

My truck is seriously a terror, this thing with my average weight behind it, around 7k, will put cars to shame on the highway, ill pull any hill at 80-90 mph and she still wants more. trying to get it on a dyno soon to see if this thing is actually making significantly more power than a us model

does anyone have any info on the canadian trucks???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMG_7724.JPG
here she is, thats a 9000lb machine, plus the trailer, plus that 200lb box of parts in the bucket, plus the chains and binders

towed it like it wasnt even back there. notice not much squat either, that's partially the max tow package and partially because i know how to load a bobcat on a trailer, say what you want, that trailer is built to haul a bobcat its marked on the deck where to stop the bucket and tie down for proper weight distribution.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
There is no magic designation in the Canadian manual that states it can haul 15k. Good for you that you aren't afraid to do it. The CATS on a Canadian truck are the exact same as a US truck. The mileage depends on your gearing, tire size and climate.

Only way to tell if it is tuned is to hook a tuner up to it or have the dealer check through IDS.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Congrats....nice lookin truck....looks eerily like mine ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Nice looking truck.
Did your truck came through with E-rated tires?
Also the next time your at the dealership crawl under one of those F-350 Superduty's rated at 13K. Look at all those drive line parts as well as axle housings, rotors, etc. and compare them to your F-150.
Then you decide which truck is built better to handle those types of loads. Unless yours is different you have an aluminum drive shaft.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think what you may be looking at is the GCWR - gross combined weight rating. In actuality your max tow rating is somehwere around 9600lbs depending on configuration.
For example my 2011 FX4 157" wb with 3.73's has a gcwr of 15500lbs but a towing capacity of 9600lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMG_8005.JPG IMG_7550.JPG IMG_7669.JPG IMG_7691.JPG
ive been towing my whole life, towing with everything from a 5ton truck all the way down to a tacoma.
i put 316k miles of hard towing on a 350 dually 7.3 psd. And beyond that i build vehicles from the ground up so I fully comprehend all of the concerns stated above. the truck handles the weight fine. actually before i towed with the truck i put the z36 kit on it. i barely touch the brakes, the transmission on this truck is so smart and so strong. put in tow haul mode tap the brake one time and it starts down shifting. getting off highway with 12k i dont touch the brakes till 15mph-. just toted 12k from penn state home up and down 322 to rt 22. thats all stop and go very steep. stopping it was a breeze, between the z36 brake kit, trailer brakes and the transmission doing a phenomenal job, it stopped 12k like it was 1200 lbs. hell i pulled that bobcat up some really steep hills in mingo junction ohio, turbos so loud on this thing it sounds like its a 6.4 psd not a lil v6. and its all stock under the hood. only thing thats been changed is the throttle body by ford. at 14k it crapped a throttle body and wouldnt stay running, id hit the gas and it would spit and stall.

months ago when i bought the truck i was able to pull up the window sticker on a ford website but it now says sticker not available. all i know is everytime its at the dealer the ford techs are astounded at the options. their always taking pictures of it at my local dealer.

thanks for the compliments on the wheels, and no truck didnt have load range E now it does. also doesn't have one piece driveshaft either.

that picture of the box trailer is interesting. thats a 14k gvw trailer with a bobcat inside it. that trailer weighs 5k empty, it put my buddies f150 on the ground, wouldnt get off the jack. mine with same hitch sat level.

also yes a 800 rzr fits in a long bed f150 and with a long hitch you can still tow a trailer.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Max tow on a f150 3.5 eco is 11,300 and if yours has max tow it is 11,200 due to long bed. If yours doesn't have max tow then it is significantly lower. Ford should be able to tell you what is aftermarket if so.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Curious to hear what options you have on your appearance package that aren't on a U.S. model. Like ta know what I'm missn' out on...��

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
another way to check to see if its tuned is to put it in neutral and see if it will go over 4000 or 3000 rpm I (I forgot) if it does then the limiter has been removed by a tune. thats a nice truck man and welcome

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's not a max tow. The gcvw of a max tow is 17,100. Lbs. I have one and it says so on the door tag. 11300 trailer weight, minus 200 for it being a long bed and 4x4, makes the max trailer weight 11,100. However, since it's not a max tow, and assuming it's a 3.73 truck, the trailer weight should top out a 9500 lbs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also, the payload on my max tow, screw, long bed, truck is 1805lbs to handle the increased tougne weight. If it's a regular tow package, that should top out at around 1500.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
My max tow screw long bed maxes out at 1400 payload.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
The fail is strong with this one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts