F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I’m new here to the forum. I just bought a used 2016 F150 with 3.5 eco boost 2wd. With 85,000 miles. I traded a 2005 4.6 with 267,000 miles.
Looking for advice as to when to clean the tb. etc. Also while reading some of the post on here I noticed a lot of talk about catch cans. I really like the truck so far. Plenty of power and with the tow package pulls my boat great. Just wanted to get some advice on any extra care I may need to be doing.
Thanks. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Catch can is old news and completely not needed.

Big thing is sticking with motorcraft parts. Keep your OCI at about 3-4K miles. Oil is completely your choice as long as it meets Ford Specs. Highly recommend sticking with the OEM oil filter.

If you are mechanically inclined, doing spark plugs would not hurt at all. Along with cleaning the 3 MAP sensors.

Besides all that, these trucks love good fuel and to be driven hard. The key is getting them nice and hot. That will always keep the truck happy.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Coming from the 2.7 side. 44000 miles on a 2017. Never cleaned a MAP/TB/or any piping past the intercooler. I do fart around in the piping often ( i insulated the entire intake for a while, then removed sections till IAT2 temps climbed), and the sensors and TB are squeaky clean.
Good fuel and oil make a big difference. I change oil&filter tween 3-5000 miles, run 93 top tier fuel as much as possible, change plugs at 20000, clean and replace air filter as often as needed. I seasonally pull the bottom hoses from my intercooler (upgraded to a CVF Titan), to check for oil/condensation. As I rarely find any this added to my opinion on catch cans ( same as SrpR). I do not lug the engine below 2000 RPM via use of sport mode and locking out gears.
Welcome to F150 ECOBOOST.NET. KM

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have yet to clean the TB and I'm at 97k miles.
93 octane fuel all the time.
I change oil every 4,000 miles with Mobil 1 Full synthetic (can usually get it for about $35 with a filter at AutoZone). Change plugs every 40-50k.
Axle, tranfer case and transmission pan drain at 60k with Motorcraft fliuds/parts.
My catch can doesn't get much in it so I don't pressure anybody either way to get one. If it makes you feel better, so be it.
DON'T BABY IT! Drive it and get the crud out.

The only time I've had an issue was when my original TB failed on my way back from Colorado and had to have it replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I agree. Cleaning the throttle body on these engines does not do much. Unless they are extremely gummed.

Besides that, replacement is usually needed when the internals begin to fail.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
916 Posts
All very good comments. Agree with everything. Just keep up on oil changes somewhere between 3 and 5000 miles. Drive it like you stole it and enjoy it! Also, get a tune on that baby!!

·
Registered
2011 F150 Lariat Supercrew
73 Posts
The spark plugs on these are so easy to do. Just be mindful when putting the coils back on - some of the vacuum tubs run awful close. Ask me how I know...

Don't believe the maintenance intervals Ford publishes. FordTechMakuloco did a youtube vid on recommended change intervals.

Lean on the engine at least once a week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Awesome forum! Thanks for all the reply’s I have yet to really see what she will do. Instead checking mpg. Sounds like it’ll like a good hard run now and then. I got in it one time in sports mode but got off at about 65 mph. Which I was shocked. It got there real quick. I buy all my fuel from QT. They have top tie fuel in all octanes with a guarantee. They also have none ethanol which I use in all my lawn stuff and boat. Was wondering if I could run it in the truck without hurting anything? It’s only 90 octane compared to the regular unleaded 94 I think it is.
Im firm on oil changes and all filters. I thought most spark plugs where good until 100k or so but y’all seem to replace them at more regular intervals on the eco boost. I’m taking all of the advice to heart. I really appreciate it with all the reply’s. And I won’t be driving it as timid anymore. Unless the boss is in the passenger seat. Lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The spark plugs on these are so easy to do. Just be mindful when putting the coils back on - some of the vacuum tubs run awful close. Ask me how I know...

Don't believe the maintenance intervals Ford publishes. FordTechMakuloco did a youtube vid on recommended change intervals.

Lean on the engine at least once a week.
What about the maintenance intervals? Is Ford’s to far apart on things? I’m going to try and find that you tube video. Thanks I appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,673 Posts
Yes, at least on the 3.5 Eco, the Ford recommendations seem to be too far apart. Plug gaps will widen to .035 or more sometimes. Oil will fuel up too much. Intake sensors get cruddy.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Wow! Awesome forum! Thanks for all the reply’s I have yet to really see what she will do. Instead checking mpg. Sounds like it’ll like a good hard run now and then. I got in it one time in sports mode but got off at about 65 mph. Which I was shocked. It got there real quick. I buy all my fuel from QT. They have top tie fuel in all octanes with a guarantee. They also have none ethanol which I use in all my lawn stuff and boat. Was wondering if I could run it in the truck without hurting anything? It’s only 90 octane compared to the regular unleaded 94 I think it is.
Im firm on oil changes and all filters. I thought most spark plugs where good until 100k or so but y’all seem to replace them at more regular intervals on the eco boost. I’m taking all of the advice to heart. I really appreciate it with all the reply’s. And I won’t be driving it as timid anymore. Unless the boss is in the passenger seat. Lol
These trucks love ethanol based fuel. I would go with E10 if you have the chance. Ethanol free is pretty garbo IMO.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,673 Posts
E10 94 would be GTG, 1 might think. $$$ tho.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
For me on the plugs, the 20000 mile changes are just to see the condition in the chambers. They have come out in rather good condition for the first 2 changes. No sense reusing as the plugs are a cheap part of maintenance. KM

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ll stick with e10 and save the none ethanol for the boat and small equipment where fuel sits.
I finally got to run it good this morning. I hadn’t noticed the turbos until I did. I put it in sport mode and hammered down. One little chirp from the tires and I heard the turbos and got pushed back in the seat. I got out of it at 100. Man that was fun! I had no idea when I bought it that a 6 cylinder could do that. I’m hooked now. Some one please tell me more about getting a tune and what it does for the engine. Will it shorten the life any. I’m hoping to get some high mileage out of this truck like I did my last one. I found Makuloco on YouTube and watched several videos. With 80,000 miles looks like its already behind on spark plugs, transmission and so on. Even time for coolant I believe. The Ford dealership changed the oil with synthetic but I think I’m only going to wait about a 1,000 miles and do it again for piece of mind since I have no way of knowing what the previous owner did. Thanks again everyone for sharing your knowledge and making me love my F-150, even more. Oh and what spark plug gap are y’all running. I found a set of Ford plugs that says they come gapped at .035. That seems a little wide.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I’ll stick with e10 and save the none ethanol for the boat and small equipment where fuel sits.
I finally got to run it good this morning. I hadn’t noticed the turbos until I did. I put it in sport mode and hammered down. One little chirp from the tires and I heard the turbos and got pushed back in the seat. I got out of it at 100. Man that was fun! I had no idea when I bought it that a 6 cylinder could do that. I’m hooked now. Some one please tell me more about getting a tune and what it does for the engine. Will it shorten the life any. I’m hoping to get some high mileage out of this truck like I did my last one. I found Makuloco on YouTube and watched several videos. With 80,000 miles looks like its already behind on spark plugs, transmission and so on. Even time for coolant I believe. The Ford dealership changed the oil with synthetic but I think I’m only going to wait about a 1,000 miles and do it again for piece of mind since I have no way of knowing what the previous owner did. Thanks again everyone for sharing your knowledge and making me love my F-150, even more. Oh and what spark plug gap are y’all running. I found a set of Ford plugs that says they come gapped at .035. That seems a little wide.
If I were you, I would catch up on maintenance and drive the truck as is. There is absolutely nothing wrong leaving it stock. Longevity wise, stock is your best bet.

Plugs should be gapped between .028-.031

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
916 Posts
I agree with SRP. But…. If you want more power for the fun of it, get a tune!!

Reactions: Douglasdzaster

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I were you, I would catch up on maintenance and drive the truck as is. There is absolutely nothing wrong leaving it stock. Longevity wise, stock is your best bet.

Plugs should be gapped between .028-.031
Thank you! I was hoping someone would bring me back down to earth. This 55 year old turned back into a 20 year old the moment I heard the turbos and felt power again. I got to thinking I may have been looking at the wrong plugs. I need to check my manual against the parts website.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you! I was hoping someone would bring me back down to earth. This 55 year old turned back into a 20 year old the moment I heard the turbos and felt power again. I got to thinking I may have been looking at the wrong plugs. I need to check my manual against the parts website.
Should I replace the boots when I do the plugs. It’s right at 80,000 miles?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Should I replace the boots when I do the plugs. It’s right at 80,000 miles?
You can, the boots are pretty cheap. As a reference, my plugs weren't changed until 90k and still have the original boots at 142k. Plugs are cheap change them early bla bla bla, I'm more of the "if it's not broke, change at the normal intervals" mindset.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,673 Posts
Plugs are Motorcraft SP580.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts