F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I just had my newest dumb Idea and I'm curious what your thoughts would be.

The other day I was out with my girlfriend (vet med student studying ambulatory equine) and we were checking a pregnant mare that was supposed to give birth two weeks ago (FOAL ALREAD DAMNIT!!!!!) and I was just taking a look at the equipment this place was running.

They had the standard assortment of stuff, A nice New Holland T7-315, muck spreader, bale forks and buckets, trailers and of course some beat to **** old trucks.

For whatever reason I had the thought of putting like a bale bed on an F-150.

Ive come to the conclusion that if my life maintains its current trajectory I will likely need to upsize next time Ibuy a truck but I plan on driving my Ecoboost until beyond when it is worth any money then just treating it as a toy (brush guard, rebuild things as they break even if it doesnt make financial sense, etc etc)

So how much would a light steel or aluminum flatbed have to weigh to not cut into payload too much?

Other than looking goofy and not being quite as useful as a 3/4 or 1 ton flatbed are there any real reasons not to?

I personally prefer steel to aluminum JUST BECAUSE I can mig weld steel for later customizations or repairs easier than figuring out a spool gun or tig welding.

Idk if this would ever even happen but sometimes I have bad ideas that just need sharing lol

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
The wife and I in Australia having a look at a small town Ford dealership. In Oz, this would be a full sized pickup and it came from the dealership as a flatbed.

So why not? I think an F150 could be a pretty good slot for something similar. But doesn't really fit our truck culture.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you can make the steel flatbed lighter than the standard truck bed, then you would increase your payload capacity.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can make the steel flatbed lighter than the standard truck bed, then you would increase your payload capacity.
You think 1/8" C channel for the frame would be strong enough for the frame or would it be better to do something heavier. As far as I can tell its loke 16 ga sheet metal or something in the stock bed.

I'm just not sure yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you're going to put a flatbed on an F 150 you should consider aluminum instead, steel on a flatbed will be heavier and you will not have much payload left. As many times as I've been to Kansas, more on the southwest portion of the state, find a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a flatbed as they were everywhere and keep your F 150 as it is.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@snakebitten how much did one of those run in the land down under?? $$$$$
@Bird1 I totally agree that a 3/4 or 1 ton would be a better candidate for a flatbed I was just curious because it seems like a half ton flatbed would be great for light duty livestock work. I'll probably never go beyond this stage its just a neat idea to me.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
@snakebitten how much did one of those run in the land down under?? $$$$$
@Bird1 I totally agree that a 3/4 or 1 ton would be a better candidate for a flatbed I was just curious because it seems like a half ton flatbed would be great for light duty livestock work. I'll probably never go beyond this stage its just a neat idea to me.
I can't remember exactly, but I think it was in the low 40's. Keep in mind that's Aus $'s. And it was a small Turbo-diesel.

Believe it or not you could get an F150 there if you were absolutely determined. But they started at $125,000! (Import truck, change to right side driver, and whatever else required to be legal)

They claimed to have sold a few.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't remember exactly, but I think it was in the low 40's. Keep in mind that's Aus $'s. And it was a small Turbo-diesel.

Believe it or not you could get an F150 there if you were absolutely determined. But they started at $125,000! (Import truck, change to right side driver, and whatever else required to be legal)

They claimed to have sold a few.

I love my F-150 but $125,000?!?!?!?! holey moley!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I love my F-150 but $125,000?!?!?!?! holey moley!!!!
Lol.

You do realize every single day you are likely to be at a traffic stop and one of them invisible SUV's next to you is $125,000?

Nobody thinks those folks are crazy, but think we are if we spend a lot on on ours.

I've made my argument a few times around here for a BMW X5M budget (120-125k)to build an F150 with similar performance, luxury, and handling. :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The wife and I in Australia having a look at a small town Ford dealership. In Oz, this would be a full sized pickup and it came from the dealership as a flatbed.

So why not? I think an F150 could be a pretty good slot for something similar. But doesn't really fit our truck culture.

Yeah and they have like 2400 lbs of payload with a diesel. The GVWR's on those in AUS are higher than the F150 here, yet they weigh as much as any mid-sized truck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol.

You do realize every single day you are likely to be at a traffic stop and one of them invisible SUV's next to you is $125,000?

Nobody thinks those folks are crazy, but think we are if we spend a lot on on ours.

I've made my argument a few times around here for a BMW X5M budget (120-125k)to build an F150 with similar performance, luxury, and handling. :)

Ooh yeah, I know some people with escalades and denalis and one with a mercedes G-Wagon. I just cant imagine spending that kind of money on anything. Of course spending a ton of time with my grandpa growing up I tend to be an if I cant pay cash I don't need it type (within reason lol)
@mass-hole do you think thats a regulatory thing or something to push people in the states to bigger trucks?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I thought you were going to say something like you're going to add three more HPFP's on top of the heads.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not saying at all a flatbed on an F 150 wouldn't be handy or wouldn't work, I'm just saying make it a light one if you do.
The Ranger i used to own I thought about building a flatbed for it, while it was my daily driver I used it as a truck should be used. It was smaller, shorter and lighter than a full sized truck and a bigger bed that a Polaris ranger. I want another one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Bird1
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing