F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Got my Full Race intake on today, and my plugs gapped to .024". Just drove to the gym and so far so good. I'll be selling my AEM dryflow filter like new if anyone wants it lol
20200229_130501.jpg
20200229_130505.jpg
20200229_130512.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Gremlins continue. Same thing happened today on WOT. CEL flashing and limp mode. This time showing misfires on 5 and 6, no O2 code. I was able to capture it on datalog, and will be evaluating that later tonight. Stand by for updates.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Swapped my #5 and #6 coils with my #1 and #2 coils to see if the misfire followed. I was hoping it would so I could just replace all my coils and be good, but for better or worse, since the swap I have been unable to replicate the misfire at all. So we'll just see I guess. Running strong and feeling great again...

·
Registered
534 Posts
May have had a bad seating of the coil on the plug. Around town it was good enough but with wot vibrations and what not could have lead to a periodic disconnect

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Suspecting that I either had a bad coil connection, or that a coil may be on its way out, (and considering my stock coils have nearly 100k miles on them) I will be replacing them with a set of Performance Distributor's SOS coils. When doing this, I will be setting plug gap to where I had it at .028" being that the gap was ruled out as a factor for the misfire.

Before you hate, and jump on me with "OEM are best," I did my research and here's a few videos/articles that convinced me to give these a try. Also, they have a 1-year warranty unlike the Accel's 90-day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvJvRQ90Dkc
Installing S.O.S. Coils Yields Easy Gains On An EcoBoost F-150
https://www.fordmuscle.com/tech-stories/installing-sos-coils-yields-easy-gains-on-an-ecoboost-f-150/
A Guide to Modular Motor Coil Packs - FordMuscle
https://www.fordmuscle.com/project-cars/project-wild-e-coyote/a-guide-to-modular-motor-coil-packs/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvJvRQ90Dkc
Also, 300psi meth pressure gauge ordered today, will be mounting in Driver-side HVAC vent, already have the mounting bezel

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Here's where my pressure gauge will be going
20200303_065326.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Damn, misfired again on cyl 4 and 6, did NOT follow the coils that I switched around. Some very highly respected people in the Ecoboost world suggested I switch back to Ford Performance colder plugs instead of the NGK's (only reason I went with NGK's was per last tuner's request), and also HIGHLY URGED me to NOT use anti-seize on the spark plugs, as it can have an affect on electrical current. I went ahead and ordered the Ford Performance colder plugs (Part # M-12405-35T) and will be installing those and the new coils Thursday...without anti-seize. We will proceed from there.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Good luck. Got my fingers crossed for you. 🤞

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Good luck. Got my fingers crossed for you. 🤞
I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into one of those "replace f***ing everything and hope something helps" situations.

I'm not suspecting any one part more than another at this point, but I've seen people experience random misfires caused by everything from HPFP, to timing chain, to throttle body, etc.

I think ruling out plugs, coils, and meth pump is a good first start tho.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Plugs and coils are in. Stay tuned for results
20200305_171636.jpg
20200305_171740.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Misfire issues continue. Cyl 6 again. I took a video of me testing the new methanol pressure gauge and then did a 0-60 and it cut out under wot and went into limp mode. Please see the video below. I'll take any advice at this point.

20200306_135720.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
This is interesting. This is a TSB about the stock IC cooling iat TOO much, especially in damp conditions, causing moisture to get sucked into intake in droplet form instead of vapor form, causing misfires on bank 2 (cyl 4,5, and 6), all the cylinders I've been having issues with.

My issues did not start until after I installed my CPE intercooler. I'm wondering if that might be the root of the problem, that it's cooling TOO much for the damp and cold NY weather we've been getting

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Well guys, I think I solved the issue!!!! Finally found something that I can look at and say "WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM". After watching the video above, thinking about condensation, misfires, and thinking that this issue started only after installing my CPE intercooler, I figured it'd be a good idea to go out and check my drain valves (there's two on the CPE intercooler, one on each side). HOLY COW!!!!!!!!! I must've got a combined 1/4 cup of water out of these drains! It has been very cold and humid in this NY winter, and that does not help.

I called up CPE just to discuss and see if they had any recommendations to combat this, and I talked to Steve who was awesome and very helpful. He said it's definitely something to consider, especially in colder climates, since the intercooler is SO efficient and you have hot air meeting cold air causing moisture. He STRONGLY recommended getting the UPG Mega Catch Can to help reduce the amount of moisture buildup in the intercooler. He said he worked directly with Brian at UPR in developing the Mega Catch Can for this issue, and suggests this over all the other catch cans since it has the 3rd line dedicated to the air intake, so it can still collect moisture/blow-by under boost (they call it the WOT tube). I also called UPR and they agreed that it would help with the condensation in the IC. UPR also now has adjustable cPCV fittings available, so you can control the amount of blow-by oil your'e collecting. If you're one of the guys collecting a liter a week (exaggeration) you can put a smaller valve in to limit the flow.

I just wish I didn't spend the money on new coils and plugs, and not have to buy a $470 catch can :/

Check out this video of the driver side drain, I didn't do the best job recording it as it really surprised me. The passenger side had just as much, if not more.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Don't take this wrong but how could you be a reader-poster on this forum, or Facebook, or anything else Ecoboost F150 related and just NOW hear about Intercooler condensation?

I didn't scroll back up all 93 posts in this thread, but did a misfire at WOT never draw out the condensation reply? Lol

"Weep Hole" is synonymous with misfire. And on Facebook "weephole" is part of the snarky vocabulary.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Don't take this wrong but how could you be a reader-poster on this forum, or Facebook, or anything else Ecoboost F150 related and just NOW hear about Intercooler condensation?

I didn't scroll back up all 93 posts in this thread, but did a misfire at WOT never draw out the condensation reply? Lol

"Weep Hole" is synonymous with misfire. And on Facebook "weephole" is part of the snarky vocabulary.

No prob man, lol, I didn't "just now" hear about it, I just didn't think that I would be affected by it only a month after installing a new aftermarket intercooler. I though the need for the weep hole was reduced or eliminated by aftermarket intercoolers, not the opposite. But I guess I was wrong and I can see why now. It's all becoming clear and making sense the more I think about it.

And not to rag on anyone else either, but out of all the suggestion's I've received from members on this forum, f150forum.com, and some big shots in the ecoboost world, nobody mentioned the condensation as an idea to cure my misfire. I think most people were more focused on the high-performance parts that could be causing the issue such as the meth, spark plugs, etc

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Now that I finally solved my problem, and my blood pressure is coming back to a healthy level, I can relax and post some pics of my methanol pressure gauge install. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Huge thanks again to Rodney at Pro-Meth for the hook-up
20200306_125829.jpg
20200306_130946.jpg
20200306_130953.jpg
20200306_131005.jpg
20200306_131130.jpg
20200306_131437.jpg
20200306_131448.jpg
20200306_130749.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Lol

I can imagine your relief!
It's a good feeling from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Also got my Rigid ditch lights installed to match my fogs. I can see everything at night :)
20200306_161211.jpg
20200306_161152.jpg
20200306_161139.jpg
20200306_161133.jpg
20200306_161121.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Glad you found it. Makes complete sense. One of the reasons I went with the Full Race Intercooler is because of the BOV location. No need for a weep hole and it will always evacuate Condensation whenever it opens.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Glad you found it. Makes complete sense. One of the reasons I went with the Full Race Intercooler is because of the BOV location. No need for a weep hole and it will always evacuate Condensation whenever it opens.
I did mention relocating the BOV to CPE and they said not to. They said the BOV should not see water, and to not think of it as a drain

81 - 100 of 121 Posts