F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 4,112 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's Happening at RMB Motorworks- aka: My (Never Ending) Build Thread

This site has been very good to me over the last year and a half.

I have connected with some outstanding people, I now call my friends.

There have been other incredibly smart people who I appreciate the time they have taken from their busy schedule to explain, and school me on a ton.
I intend to stick with this platform for the future.

In this build thread I plan on taking you from day one of my experiences with parts, venders, and technical write ups on installs and new products. There have been a lot of parts that lack in the fabrication department, and others that simply amaze me as to how they can be offered at the price points their set at.
Anyway to start off the thread here is what I got:

2014 F150 FX4 Screw
Black on Black
Appearance Package and Fully Loaded
3.55 gears
Baby box that's good for tool box, alky tank, and not much more

Here are some pictures and when I have some more time I will get started writing.

Just to make this dull intro interesting, the truck is a meth spraying rocket with Full Race Turbos ready to install, ported and polished manifolds, and a new fuel pump just installed. This sums up where this build thread is headed and has been, with a ton more to show.

I will be doing a bunch of write ups on parts here as time permits, and reviews to help people make good decisions, and avoid the ones I made along my way.

Just some pics

Attachments

Can't wait to hear the results after those turbos go in!

Did you port match the exhaust manifolds? I'm definitely looking forward to pictures of that!

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Did you port match the exhaust manifolds? I'm definitely looking forward to pictures of that!
CNC port matched, and machined them out. Polished to knock casting down and maintain smooth transitions. I highly recommend having someone professionally do the work, or try to purchase a set. Maybe even coated

CNC port matched, and machined them out. Polished to knock casting down and maintain smooth transitions. I highly recommend having someone professionally do the work, or try to purchase a set. Maybe even coated
Order me a set!

That's a nice looking truck, that would have been my nest vehicle if I didn't lay my eyes on the Limited.

Discussion starter · #9 · (Edited)
Did my fuel pump last night and left a write up in my GT Turbo thread for installation procedure

If you lose the spring and it pops out of the bowl it goes here.

As seen in that thread, gut it all pretty much as seen in these pictures.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I have to say that doing this at night on a Sunday with about 1/2 tank (36) gallon isn't recommended. Gotta thank Ducatti for quickly running me through the 3 minute process when the bowl was out. I didn't have more time last night and it was a huge help having him stay on speaker rather than referencing back and forth. It's a very easy job if you can do it right. The 1/2 tank in dark was just stupid

Attachments

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Just to give a quick run through of some of the first parts I had so we can get to the good stuff. I plan on having some fun soon and that's what ya'll and myself want to see

I first purchased a SCT live wire with LET 93 performance tune. When I bought this just after I purchased the truck, LET had great customer service, which is the reason I went with them at the time.

I then purchased a UPR catch can, AFE charge pipe, and S&B intake.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #12 ·
The UPR catch can was nicely machined, and is eye catching. However, the nipples at the top of the can would bottom out and not tighten. The cans cap had been tapped to deep in the machining process and leaked oil out of the fittings no matter what.

Joe had great customer service and had a net can in a week no questions asked. I received the second can and it had the same exact issues. I globbed some PTFE thread sealant on them and prayed no oily mess leaked again. It held for the time.

Earlier on when Tracey claimed catch cans apparently cured cancer, I listened to the dishonesty that they would help with condensation issues in the OEM CAC, so I ran it for 5,000 or 10,000 miles( I forget).

Then removed my stock CAC to see. Well even though the catch can was catching, I probably was one short WOT away from sucking a cup full of sludge and either popping my motor, or have a dangerously close call and just had a major stutter.

What did I do? I drilled the thing. Did the job of a catch can for me. I will say this. It was the best damn 1/16" hole I ever drilled. Constant spray on lower air damn with can. More on this later

Attachments

Discussion starter · #13 · (Edited)
Pics The S&B has a moulded in brass insert so that you do not have to install drill and tap it. It is actually a very nice and well made intake which I will get into later

Attachments

Looks like it's coming together nicely. I'm anxious to see how my CAC looks when it gets replaced here soon.
I put on a catch can at about 1,000 miles (if even) and I've emptied a lot of goo out of it, but still...

Discussion starter · #17 ·
At some point I ditched the AFE pipes, the stock CAC, and the UPR catch can. The catch can was blowing check valves, and I felt like it was not the product for me. Once I cut to the chase and rid all the bad parts I went to Full Race which has been the best decision I have made for my truck in my opinion. Their quality is by far superior to all other parts manufactured.

The intercooler I am running has a turbosmart bov on the bottom of the charge pipe elbow which is the lowest point of that system and blows out anything that may accumulate. Pics to come as that new elbow is on its way and a new catch can. Don't want new Full Race BW drivers side turbo to get all that oil.

Also running rigid D2 driving lights, and I have 5 in there now not the 3 in the picture. New Config on lighting to come as I have several boxes of parts to get to.

Attachments

At some point I ditched the AFE pipes, the stock CAC, and the UPR catch can.

The catch can was blowing check valves, and I felt like it was not the product for me.

Once I cut to the chase and rid all the bad parts I went to Full Race which has been the best decision I have made for my truck in my opinion. Their quality is by far superior to all other parts manufactured. The intercooler I am running has a turbosmart bov on the bottom of the charge pipe elbow which is the lowest point of that system and blows out anything that may accumulate. Pics to come as that new elbow is on its way and a new catch can. Don't want new Full Race BW drivers side turbo to get all that oil.
Its funny you say that.... I have the same elbow and valve and catch can.... When I changed my turbo's in May I had the CAC but not the bov or catch can and the drivers side turbo was wet with oil... Pulled turbo's last week with BOV and catch can installed, turbo was dry as a bone...

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Have a custom magnaflow exhaust that I made.

It is there largest 5x11 3"in/out they make. It is fabricated with a 3" straight pipe to a set of Solo Off-Road Downpipes with resonators.

The exhaust is all TIG welded 304SS and the midpipe is fabricated with Vband flanges and clamps. I have an RPG exhaust tip on it, which was made pretty good, but is a little flashy for me so I will be offering it up shortly when I change something up here shortly before I install turbos.

The sound of the exhaust is outstanding, and I love VBand clamps as I wanted to be able to swap cans easily, or add a res if needed. The sound clips can be found in "the magnaflow muffler thread"

Solo Downpipes were a very good fit, and although not the prettiest things in the world and are not polished except for the resonators, there fitment was absolutely perfect. More on the Downpipes to come.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 4,112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.