F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
4021 - 4027 of 4027 Posts

·
Vendor
7,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,021 ·
As the consumer, rather than the engineer or manufacturer or fabricator or builder...., It doesn't always favor me and my interest, but the market goes where the money is.

Just my opinion but the Gen1 Era (the actual calendar time of 2010-2016ish?) had the task of establishing the platform and convincing the supply side that it was a legitimate investment. But when Ford released the Gen2, that was a huge statement that the platform has a long life and the risks to the aftermarket were seriously diminished. Sales just kept growing and the Gen2 had such a superior starting point for those getting in the game. And the aftermarket already had some momentum so it hit the ground running for the newest customer.

Of course the consumer sees things through the lens of what they own and have already invested. But Gen2 is where the freshest and most energy is being spent. (from my own vantage point) And if the 2021 really is a Gen3, from the point of view of the aftermarket developers, that too will suck resources away from the Gen1 market.

It's just progress. And momentum. Inevitable.

If Gen1 aftermarket market really does have buyers, I can't imagine the demand would go unnoticed.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Gen1 market is believe it or not more in demand than gen2. Gen2 has far more issues than gen 1 but gen2 customers with engine builds will spend 5-8 k on the timing. Parts because they are right so it once but they have the funds to not worry although Gen1 is way cheaper than gen2 upgraded parts and we get calls 50x a day I swear for kits but need to get a premium Mary order or presale order to make it happen or I am not getting stuck with what people want but never do although they Gen1 is far more parts end more parts cost more money.so Gen1 is a better market and we can do it because it say is an extra 2k over normal parts but say 45-60lk miles later another 2k on oem parts buy once do it once you save tons on labor and we do the labor now too if the thought process is really sound and really slept on it you’d realize how much you’d save(loads) doing proper upgraded timing in the Gen1 especially as mileage is getting very high and 2-3-4 hand trucks start needing it and money best spent to obviously keep the truck and why guys by them with the higher mileage so long term it’s a A+++ decision and gen2 is no brainer it’s not just better parts but truck literally rides and idles like glass!!! So much smoother than anything you’d feel ever and noticeable to tone layman like the wineglass commercial on hood not spilling it’s so noticeable customers call me to tell me all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
Lol
My ponderings, and that is what they are, rarely prove accurate.
I'm used to it though. :)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: RMB_Ryan

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ya I was figuring gen1s would have higher mileage and tons of people interested even if doing nothing else to the motor. Gen2 and Raptor guys probably have more money for big builds and pre-emptive repairs.
And I recall discussions on how some prefer the gen1 motor as a build platform because of the valve train and bucket setup. Thought this may help with the traffic toward gen1 timing kit development.

I think your previous post said Gen 1 already has chains, tensioner, and guides developed and ready. What else is there?

·
Vendor
7,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,024 ·

·
Vendor
7,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,025 ·
Quick update. Sorry I have not been posting but have been slammed and haven’t had time recently with family and shop. But 2.7 and 3.0l long and short blocks are to be in stock soon. Here we have a sample 3.0 and 2.7l tri-beam connecting rod with arp2000 rod bolts. 3D prints confirmed now off to manufacturing. Stay tuned.

·
Vendor
7,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,026 ·
Update on my boy Dave’s truck. Stage 2 long block with Garrett gen2 g20’s. Had pcm failure for 80+ communication codes when it came in. Crank no start. Cut injection for lack of bcm to pcm comm. pcm failed testing through IDS. Saved him 2000 bucks and found fuse to ignition coils was toasted. Fired right up with new engine once fuse was changed. Diag 2 men 5 hours. Stoked on this build

·
Registered
698 Posts
Gen 1 timing kits will be developed, not going to pretend their is no interest, but its expensive to engineer and produce. We have ~87% of it ready to manufacture. It’s extremely sensitive and time consuming to engineer, but have most done. I’d think 100 full kit orders would be enough to make some, if not a limited 250 production price run. Good parts are not easy to manufacturer or engineer. Also in my experience people say they would be interested in development of upgraded parts, but won't pay unless its during an engine build or they're having engine problems. But we can get things going, not lagging to sit on parts. We sell gen2/3 kits like to everyone with an engine build or timing issues. And those are way more common.

I’m not sure if you or someone can move this to work, but why not get a formal honest pre order? Or at least gauge to see how many people are actually interested, so I can think about moving ahead? It’s going to have to happen. If someone wants to work with me to take the reins, let’s go! And we will see how much interest is piqued, because engineering has been hugely successful and worth the price of admission for all who do work to the truck them selves. This to me is no-brained honestly.

Guides for the left and right primary chains are done. They are billet, hard coat anodized, with special (Delrin) style E85-safe wear strips.
-Hard coat to provide e85-e100 safety, and proper material hardness to prevent stress risers.
-Guide arms have a tool steel insert that will not wear like then plastic OEM setup. Provides the ability to prevent 100% of wear to the pass-side chain guide arm, where the tensioner plunger contacts the guide arm.

We have the tensioners done and figured out. Easy and not a biggie, far superior.
The tensioner will have a specialty oiling feature to prevent and eliminate 99.9% of any wear. Its designed for more use by a factor or 100,000,000 hours of operation.

Primary chain strength is increased by 45-65%. Engineered for prolonged life, testing shows 62% or greater decrease of wear characteristics.
Chains are machined with tolerances to the tenth-of-millions tighter than OEM. Once manufactured, the chains are treated to a superior nitride-hardened finishing process. This increases strength and longevity, but is increasingly expensive to manufacture.

Sounds like the tensioner, guides, and chain are developed; and the only piece remaining is the phasers themselves? Is this correct?
Not to oversimplify, as the phasers are probably the hardest piece to engineer...

Are the updated chain, guides, and tensioner compatible with OEM phasers??

P.S. I tried to edit the text above to the best of my ability and comprehension. Let me me if I misunderstood or misinterpreted any of it.

4021 - 4027 of 4027 Posts