F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just rolled over 500 miles on my 2013 screw 4x4 3.55 on our way to Rocky Mountain National Park. I have been getting 12 mpg recently and have been stuck at 13.3 mpg on the master trip that I haven't touched since I got it at 9 miles. So I reset my trip B Friday before work and started to focus on better gas mileage. I will tell you this, 4th gear is the money gear. I have it displayed when I drive so I know where I am and try to keep the shift points appropriately. And it's kinda fun too! Definitely not as fun as 1st thru 3rd gear at 2-6k rpm range! But anyways.... I am currently sitting at 158.2 miles and 20.1 mpg!!! So it can be done!! And this was with 1/3 around town driving and when we went into RMNP we gained about 3,000 ft elevation. And starting at 5,420 ft. I know coming down hill on the way back helped me but I still saw 17mpg on the way up!! Oh Yeah, my master mpg trip went from 13.3 to 14.7!! Sorry I rambled on but point of the story is I changed my driving habits and my mpg's went way way up!! I'll keep a going log and update with anything note worthy. Thanks for reading.

Reactions: Red whoosh

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I will let it shift up as needed. I try to accelerate while preventing it from downshifting. It's a little conscious driving to feel where you are in the range of the gear. But I noticed on the instant mpg read out that if I just slowly accelerated or maintained speed while in 4th gear then my mpg's would be above 16 mpg and that is around town.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Now that makes sense. Haven't been watching that close but its pretty much what I'm doing as well. I use the green vertical bar like a vacuum guage. The lower the bar the more fuel consumed. Running just over 16 in the area this tank. Warmer weather definately a factor!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Now that makes sense. Haven't been watching that close but its pretty much what I'm doing as well. I use the green vertical bar like a vacuum guage. The lower the bar the more fuel consumed. Running just over 16 in the area this tank. Warmer weather definately a factor!
I hear you Mike been doing the same thing... Almost too much that I feel guilty watching it drop for too long LOL! But moment passes as I pass the slower truck pulling the smaller load up the hill :eek:

·
Registered
152 Posts
How do you get the gear to display on the dash? I noticed it was on one that I test drove but not on the truck that I bought. I'm sure it's something simple

·
Registered
311 Posts
How do you get the gear to display on the dash? I noticed it was on one that I test drove but not on the truck that I bought. I'm sure it's something simple
Use the "+/-" your gear down one time and it will show 1-6 and the gear that you are using is highlighted - nothing is locked out yet.
Press down again to lock out gears progressively.
Press up to unlock gears progressively.
Press up one time after unlocking all gears and the gears no longer display.

The display will remain as is when you shift in and out of Park, and also if stop and start the engine but the lockout will reset to make all 6 gears available each time you park or shut off the engine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks! Anyways. I've put 250 on mine since Saturday and so far the readout is saying 18.3. When I got the truck at 30mi it said 9.something. I'm not doing highway. Mainly back roads and light city driving. By that I mean its 14 miles to work, about 7mi is hills and flat 55mph, and the other 7 is turns, traffic, lights and other variables. I don't think 18mpg is bad for absolutely no highway driving. 250mi and I've only used a little over 1/4 tank. The "mi to empty" read 560 when I bought it. 425 now, and that's after 220 miles. I think I'm doing okay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys - relatively new to forum, first post. In Calgary, Alberta (Canada)...got my Ecoboost a week and a half ago and driving highway most of the time for 25 minutes. 3.73 diff, 4x4, supercrew with 5.5ft box. FX4 appearance package, so 20" Pirelli's. Can get below 12L/100km (almost 20MPG), but am concious of anticipating stops and braking by allowing the truck to coast. Getting up to speed quickly so I can then cruise at around 117km/h, around 1750-1800 RPM. When driving in downtown Calgary, though, mileage blows hard. But let's be honest, we're not buying trucks for fuel economy.

Seems like the power is starting to come on stronger as the engine continues to break in...almost 1400km on it now. Loving the truck overall...nav system is decent, sound system is great and love the thumping sub. Hopefully all goes well!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome christhenewfie! Nice truck!

i wanted to post a picture proving what I did. And this was gaining over 3,000 ft in elevation and I live at 5,420ft! My gas mileage usually sucks!

image.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All kinds. I was doing like 30-45 mph inside Rocky Mountain National Park. 55 mph going up into the mountains. 60-65 mph coming down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
so it like most cars and trucks , push it and you use more gas

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^yes it IS like most cars and trucks....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts