F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok long story short I hate my aftermarket headlights I bought from xtralights.com. I bought the spyders a little prematurely and decided after looking at some threads to retrofit my own (should have done this from jump or sent mine off to have them done). Best thing is though if I screw up my stock headlights these same projectors will also fit into the aftermarket housing with a $25 adapter bracket from TRS (The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications). Im in on a group purchase for this kit. The reason why I chose this kit over the others is 1 main reason...it is supposed to be the easiest to install with minimal modifications to the bowl ( where the light actually sits). I actually called had a lengthy conversation with the guys over at TRS and he said at most you will have to ream the hole in the bowl to receive the projector shaft. The next hardest part is aligning the projector so its not pointed in the wrong direction.

Mini H1 Description

What You Get (Everything bold is what I selected)

Projectors: Morimoto Mini H1 6.0
Bi-xenon Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five or 5Five

Bulbs: Morimoto 3Five or 5Five H1 3000,4300,5000, and 6000K (You Choose)
Shrouds: Apollo, Apollo 2.0, Bullet, E46-R, E-55R, G37, Gatling Gun, Gatling Gun 2.0, Graphite, GTI-R, Iris, MC-R, Mini Gatling Gun, Ocular, Orbit, or Panamera (You Choose)

Wire Harness: Morimoto Relay 9006, 9007, H1, H11, H13, H4, or H7 (You Choose)
Hardware: Ballast brackets, 12V test lead
Misc: Bi-xenon Emblems and alcohol prep pads Warranty: Five Years Tech Specs Recommended For: Better performance with minimal modification
Cutting involved: Little/none
Time to Install: Three hours (estimated)

The Morimoto Mini H1 Stage III Retrofit system is a game changer. As the most universal projector retrofit kit in existence, it's literally the number one selling kit in our catalogue. Includes the latest MH1 bixenons and Elite HIDs Based on the amazingly easy to install Morimoto Mini H1 projector. With it's threaded mounting shaft that fits through the pre-existing hole in the back of your headlight reflector with little to no mods, they make retrofitting projectors easier than ever.

The Morimoto Mini H1 projectors feature: clear lenses to give them a wide, intense beam pattern with a sharp and colorful cutoff line. Latest 6.0 version is enhanced with an all new optically advanced reflector bowl, more pull and push in their solenoids, and machined hex shaped lock-rings.
The 'Moto 3Five ballasts feature: Compact, clutter-free design with integrated igniters. 8 Amp start current warms the bulbs up to full 35w intensity within seconds. Completely weather proof case & potted internals. Braided tech flex lines enhance durability, looks, and prevent EMI interference. Laser etched graphics, aluminum fittings & mounting hardware.
The 'Moto 3Five bulbs feature: ceramic sleeved capsules for precise alignment giving you a clean beam pattern. Quartz glass tubes to minimize UV output and maximizing luminosity. Their Prax-Air (USA) metal halide salts produce very accurate color temperatures (3K/43K/5K/6K)
The 'Moto Relay Wire harness features: Independent 40amp relays with LED indicator lights. Ceramic and rubber coated fittings throughout to resist corrosion. 14 gauge stranded copper wire. Designed to be completely plug n play. Also compatible with DRL's

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok so first off you need to open the stock headlights. You achieve this by removing everything from the light thats screwed in. The low beam bulb needs removed along with the rubber boot, there is also a screw that needs to come out (very important not to forget this or you will break your bezel like I did....twice.....yea I know. Preheat oven to 240 and pop in for about 15-20 min. Using some gloves pull out the light and start on the section of the housing that sides to the outside of the truck near the fender not the grill. basically have a couple of flat head screw drivers and just start prying the clear lenses off. it takes some work and you may have to put back in oven a couple times but once it starts to separate it gets easy. If you forget to remove the screw this will happen...so be careful...lol

But never fear I have a buddy who fixed it up nicely.

What i will be doing tomorrow is prepping the items for paint. I will be sanding everything down a bit and get them ready for paint. Im using a paint specific for plastic see how that works. Im doing a flat black and red. As I progress i will update this posting with pics. Im hopinig to have everything done iin about 2 weeks time or sooner. Im ordering the projectors tonight ....more to follow!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Finished the bezels, waiting on projectors to arrive to fit them before I can paint the bowls...here are the bezels and the side lenses. Satin finish

Side lenses tinted..I taped off the outer edge see if I like the look once it lights up. If I dont its easy to removed and then I'll tinit the whole lense.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This spot taken, but is available for Lease or Purchase.

I was doing a little messing with ya. I had never come across someone who reserved up coming reply posting space for follow up post.

Couldn't figure out if it was Proactive thinking and planning ahead, a stroke of Genius, or Greed...LOL!!!!

If one of the Mods would like to delete this interruption of a planned forward thinking post started by Eco Punisher, please do so!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok so I prepped the bowl. Took me some time to figure out where to start since the shaft was a little short on the HID. I knew I would have to shallow the bowl so the projector could recess a touch and so I started the process and as I took a little off at a time I would test fit and see that the shaft started peeking out the rear..but once evereything said and done this is what I ended up with.... got a little shallow on some edges but easily taken care of with some epoxy.

I think since the rear of the projector is flat with that washer and nut it really leaves little room to be off on the left/right aiming....

·
Registered
537 Posts
When you say plastic specific paint, are you talking about a paint with a flex compound added to it? Or is this something that offers a different adhesive base?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Its a krylon specific for bonding to plastic..I'm not to worried about flexing at this point I figure I can give it a go with rattle cans see how it turns out..

Here is the final with the shroud. I have to close up the gaps with some metal flashing to tighten up the looks of it...

There is a slight gap between the shroud and the back of the bowl..its tough to dremel it so exact that ther isnt a space. Some guys leave it and others use metal flashing to take up that gap...

I will also use a metal tape to tape the projectors so no lite will emit from the HID projector and escape out those spots I just cant close up...

·
Registered
72 Posts
So when you put it in the over did you hang it? Put it on the rakes? On a cookie sheet? I do have an extra set of lights so I'm kind of nervous.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did put on a cookie sheet ..nothing to be nervous about take out after 20min start pulling apart if it starts cooling of then throw back in for a few minutes and continue

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice work on the retrofit can't wait to see it all done. Oh yeah and I am really digging the spot reservation for updates in the near and far future I think I'm going to have to start doing this on occasion :cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry took so long to update ..I was in D.C last weekend and my kit came in while I was gone. I have made some good head way..see page 1 for update!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems as though I don't have as much time to work on this as I'd like..lol but we are making head way...this is how it looks ...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was not happy with how my painting turned out..so I took them to my painter and will have them back in a few days and hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have it all together... with update pics and such

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Now THATS what I'm talking about!!!!! F'n A!!! Turbo Hayabusa. :cool: Exponential acceleration. The next foot is coming twice as fast as the last foot came until you can't take it anymore!!!!! What color is it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sadly sold it about a month ago...but this is how it looked prior to the last appearance change when I blacked out the whole frame..

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Sadly sold it about a month ago...but this is how it looked prior to the last appearance change when I blacked out the whole frame..

Very nice. Also very scary. I can't imagine the struggle to keep the front tire on the ground with the bike at stock length. I'd imagine that it was a losing battle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
12 Participants
olytlr
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing