F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Vendor
7,163 Posts
Well it's now making the sound when I'm taking off from a stop, most noticeable right before it shifts into 2nd. Took it into the dealer again, they have no idea what it is and basically said wait till it gets very loud or something fails. Awesome

I can actually get it on video from inside the cab now. Sounds like something bouncing around somewhere inside the engine or transmission.
I'm driving this pig as hard as I always have, this sound may just drive me nuts until I trade truck in in a couple years or something is going to fail.....hopefully something will fail.
Take your starter off and expose the inspection cover where you bolt the torque converter. Check that all 4 torque converter nuts are on their threads. See if any of them have seepage or are wet. Make sure they are torqued to spec and not loose. Inspect flywheel and starter teeth.

Also on a cold start put your hand on the bottom of oil pan and the very front right behind front engine cover. Let us know if you feel anything odd or tapping. You should feel an oscillating type of movement.

It also sounds like the two videos are different noises. The ping on the passenger side by the vac pump is normal and originally a concern of mine, but confirmation has been made it is a normal noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Got a new sound for you guys..
Just bought this truck a week ago and this terrible squeak showed up. Didn't notice it when I drove it at the dealer, so thought it might be the bolt holding on my wheel center caps. That wasn't it..
It seems to be suspension related because it happens going over bumps only. I can't hear it with my windows up, but I've been unable to pinpoint which side it's coming from. Seems to be from all sides. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Take your starter off and expose the inspection cover where you bolt the torque converter. Check that all 4 torque converter nuts are on their threads. See if any of them have seepage or are wet. Make sure they are torqued to spec and not loose. Inspect flywheel and starter teeth.

Also on a cold start put your hand on the bottom of oil pan and the very front right behind front engine cover. Let us know if you feel anything odd or tapping. You should feel an oscillating type of movement.

It also sounds like the two videos are different noises. The ping on the passenger side by the vac pump is normal and originally a concern of mine, but confirmation has been made it is a normal noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, I'll try giving that a shot.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Oh you listen when HE tells you that. Hahaha

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Well you basically just texted me rbrown's post.

Haha

Too rainy to dig into the truck today. Almost feel like I should just let whatever it is grenade and get fixed under warranty. But knowing me I'll go totally crazy before that happens so I'll probably end up digging in

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Got a new sound for you guys..
Just bought this truck a week ago and this terrible squeak showed up. Didn't notice it when I drove it at the dealer, so thought it might be the bolt holding on my wheel center caps. That wasn't it..
It seems to be suspension related because it happens going over bumps only. I can't hear it with my windows up, but I've been unable to pinpoint which side it's coming from. Seems to be from all sides. Any ideas?

Have you checked your tailgate?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you checked your tailgate?
You got it Siri! I figured it out last week when I opened my tailgate in a certain way and heard the same squeek. Sprayed some white lithium grease on the latches and all good. Thx for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You got it Siri! I figured it out last week when I opened my tailgate in a certain way and heard the same squeek. Sprayed some white lithium grease on the latches and all good. Thx for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I didn't see your reply earlier otherwise I would have commented earlier.
One of my buddy's does that too, it drives him freaking nuts. He has to lube it every other month or so

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well it's now making the sound when I'm taking off from a stop, most noticeable right before it shifts into 2nd. Took it into the dealer again, they have no idea what it is and basically said wait till it gets very loud or something fails. Awesome

I can actually get it on video from inside the cab now. Sounds like something bouncing around somewhere inside the engine or transmission.
I'm driving this pig as hard as I always have, this sound may just drive me nuts until I trade truck in in a couple years or something is going to fail.....hopefully something will fail.

Geeeetting louder then in this video now but truck still drives awesome. oil level has been solid, no loss no rise.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Wow - that is not getting any better!!
Nope. And I'm sure it won't on it's own.
I did find a guy with a 2014 f150 5.0 with the same exact noise, he's leaning towards transmission too

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Ok so I did the ol unplug each spark plug one by one and when I unplugged #3 cylinder the sound pretty much went away for the most part. When I unplugged #1 cylinder the sound got louder then it has been, I'm think due to shutting that one down and putting more strain on #3 cylinder.

So I switched out the plug on #3 cylinder with an old plug I had that was still in good condition and the noise is way less noticeable when driving and pretty much gone at idle. Weird

The plug I pulled out looked fine, no visible issues and still gapped around .030 - .029

Gonna see how it goes the next day or two then possibly change all plugs if sound doesn't get loud again.

Seems pretty strange so I'm not getting my hopes up

41 - 60 of 79 Posts