F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 f150 3.5 platinum 4x4
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ya fellas. I finally took the time to record and transfer the video to youtube.

quick run down.

(2012 f150 3.5 )
-160k on truck
4k on new long block motor

FULL bolt on ( list of mods in sig )

the sound we are listening for here is approx
20 secs. into the video as the motor idles down.

it will do this until warmed up. then it will only present itself while holding a gear in manual mode under ( low load ) and an rpm of 2100-2500 rpm.
the moment power is added to the equation it is gone.

with that said i can still hear it with the chassis ears , but not the ears I came equipped with.

with that said,
i recently picked up a set of chassis ears and have been chasing the sound and it appears to be in the timing set. ( however i am still refining my approach with these new ears ) .

no apparent power loss, or drivability.
( heck, I logged last night and I am hitting and 55lbs/min.) @ 5100rpm
also over 50lbs/min @ 4600 rpm.

this one is driving me nuts.
any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,730 Posts
With those mechanical ears have you at least eliminated any regions that it is definitely NOT coming from?

Bottom, top, front, rear.....

Without standing there and being able to narrow it down to any region, it certainly has the cadence of the valve train, but or something turning/tapping at that rate.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,387 Posts
Is it the injectors?

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Were the phasers OEM? Were the VCT's replaced? Is it possible that this is a phaser not getting enough oil at idle, but once RPMs go up it over comes the lack of oiling?

I would also suspect the valve train, but I would think you'd hear it on a wider RPM band. The sound really only happens when the PCM tries to drop down to 600 RPM.

I'd probably pull the valve covers and look at the cams.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Don't they all sound like that ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't they all sound like that ?
rofl!

well.. the original motor didnt...

ok.. ok
, it, it did do something like this but not so pronounced.

i have spent the last 3 yrs zeroing in on every sound these trucks make, and im sure you are all well aware there are many.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were the phasers OEM? Were the VCT's replaced? Is it possible that this is a phaser not getting enough oil at idle, but once RPMs go up it over comes the lack of oiling?

I would also suspect the valve train, but I would think you'd hear it on a wider RPM band. The sound really only happens when the PCM tries to drop down to 600 RPM.

I'd probably pull the valve covers and look at the cams.

New motor ( long block )
has all the latest updated parts in it.

before i started digging around that was my 1st thought, and I still have a feeling thats it.

I have a few test I need to run.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it the injectors?
it's on my list of checks,

nothing seems to indicate it,
although I'm still chasing the sound around

we will see.

good input,
Torrie , had made the same suggestion.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With those mechanical ears have you at least eliminated any regions that it is definitely NOT coming from?

Bottom, top, front, rear.....

Without standing there and being able to narrow it down to any region, it certainly has the cadence of the valve train, but or something turning/tapping at that rate.
so far it seems to be top of the motor, towards the front .

but we'll see, ya know, sound travels.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,387 Posts
it's on my list of checks,

nothing seems to indicate it,
although I'm still chasing the sound around

we will see.

good input,
Torrie , had made the same suggestion.
Oh really hahaha thats funny. I bet you it might be the injectors. My truck makes quite the racket on startup, it’s not the timing chain though, if I rev it, it kinda increases with rpm, and I’ve pretty much decided it’s the injectors. Fords calibration on startup must make them rattle like that. I never hear it at all when the truck is warm.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I get the exact same resonant phaser clack sound, and also only in a specific rpm range. Been chasing it for years now. I’ve been able to replicate it and make the sound build in intensity, there’s video in my build log you can compare to. Also have clacking on cold starts about 30% of the time. And been fighting wild VCT readings above 5000rpm’s

Also have a built motor and it’s happened since new. Let’s talk more…

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I get the exact same resonant phaser clack sound, and also only in a specific rpm range. Been chasing it for years now. I’ve been able to replicate it and make the sound build in intensity, there’s video in my build log you can compare to. Also have clacking on cold starts about 30% of the time. And been fighting wild VCT readings above 5000rpm’s

Also have a built motor and it’s happened since new. Let’s talk more…
hey BRoell,

i tried looking for the video you mentioned, lets say that I lack in the forum layout understanding.

I'd like to compare the sounds.

how many miles have you put on this set up making this noise?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I don't wanna say they both sound like normal 1st gen ecoboost sounds but ...
I hear HPFP, BOV, exhaust, normal upper and lower engine sounds.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't wanna say they both sound like normal 1st gen ecoboost sounds but ...
I hear HPFP, BOV, exhaust, normal upper and lower engine sounds.
Agreed, most of it is just the nature of these noisy pigs. Plus I have all the hpfp pillows and engine covers off, and my valve train work might add a bit more noise theoretically.

But there’s a different, distinct sound that only happens intermittently in a tiny sliver of the operating range. the noise will start and build in intensity until I let off the throttle.
If you listen to the first video, at 0:12 seconds the noise stops as soon as I lifted off the throttle, and builds up again around 0:22 second mark. The whole video the engine only fluctuated about 200 rpm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts