F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2013 FX4 about a month ago. Since then I have installed a 2" level kit and some 275/65 R20 tires and put them on factory rims. I have never really looked at the navigation screen until the other day and I noticed that it was displaying me driving about 100 meters off of the actual highway I was travelling on. Since then I have paid more attention and the vehicle icon is constantly off of the road I am travelling on and usually several blocks back from my current position. I took it to the dealer and they said is was because of the tire size change. They said they could not adjust the computer to correct for the size of tires I chose as they are outside of their calibration range. My question is what does the tire size have to do with my position that is calculated based of off signals from satellites?? Why would the navigation system even care if I have tires on the truck? As of right now I can't use the nav system to direct me anywhere because it has no idea of where I really am. Ay help regarding this problem would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I had this problem for a couple days. Then magically started working again. I was completely stock. Ask why a $100 portable garmin works

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer says my truck was build in October 2013 so it doesn't fall in the category for this bulletin. I am thinking about pulling the card with the navigation information and disconnecting my battery for a while to reset everything. my hope is when I fire it back up it will "calibrate" itself with its position and the tire rotation speed (if that even effects the location on the nav map) otherwise I don't know what else to do. I wonder if I should post this question in rims/tire section as most of those guys have larger tires as well.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
No. You already posted two threads of the same thing. Just leave this here, plenty of people will see it since most people just browse the active threads anyways.

Did it ever work? If so, the reset you are planning on doing should work

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I took mine to the dealer and it's been spot on since... someone also D/C's the negative terminal and said that worked.

FYI -- this occurred initially after putting on aftermarket tires (dealer corrected for speedo) so.... idk. But yeah, it worked after taking it to dealer again and now with tuner too.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Mine's been doing it off and on. I can't find any rhyme or reason behind it. Like is it worse after being parked in a garage over night versus sitting out at work...nothing makes sense. Hell even in the same trip it'll spaz out. It's the most expensive compass, ever!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry for the repost. I am new to the forum and couldn't find my original post after I exited the page. I will make sure it doesn't happen again. I am not sure if it ever worked. I never looked at it for the first few weeks and after that I had the larger tires on. Dealer can't correct the issue because the size of the tires is outside their calibration range. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'm still not sure how a tire size is messing up how the truck reads a satellite signal....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the same problem when I put on my 275/65/20 tires replacing stock 275/55/20. All I did to fix the problem with the nav was to unhook my negative cable from the battery for about 1 hour. Hooked it back up and went for a drive. The nav was spot on.
The speedometer being off doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. I do not care about the speedometer being out however I do want my Nav system to work properly. I will try this over the weekend and post my results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved. This weekend I unhooked the negative battery terminal on my truck and removed the SD card with the Navigation maps. I left the battery unhooked for just over an hour and then put the truck back together and went for a drive around town. The system recalibrated and now works as it should with no errors on my actual location. Just as a small warning if you perform this fix you may loose certain stored data for you stereo equalizer settings, presets and power seat positions however that is a very small price to pay for the navigation system to be working correctly. I now have over 250 kilometers on the truck after this fix and the nav system is still spot on. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Problem solved. This weekend I unhooked the negative battery terminal on my truck and removed the SD card with the Navigation maps. I left the battery unhooked for just over an hour and then put the truck back together and went for a drive around town. The system recalibrated and now works as it should with no errors on my actual location. Just as a small warning if you perform this fix you may loose certain stored data for you stereo equalizer settings, presets and power seat positions however that is a very small price to pay for the navigation system to be working correctly. I now have over 250 kilometers on the truck after this fix and the nav system is still spot on. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Alright then, I'll try this next....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts