F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm prepared to be called an idiot for even thinking about this but i'm not sure if I am.... so here I am to see what you guys think!

My father and I are looking at getting a used tractor to maintain my grandfathers farm. We have 130 acres in southeast kansas that is primarily soy bean and grassland/lumber. We also may begin building food plots to chase big kansas whitetails.

If we decide to go ahead and get one eventually I am trying to decide what we need and if I can even move it. The purchase decision will just fall to if the people that currently do the mowing continue doing so or retire and if we need to do dirt work on some of the ponds/roads.

We primarily are needing it for handling loader duties, light road maintenance, and mowing. We are considering a 15' batwing mower with minimum PTO of 60hp

All that said where we're kind of looking at not spending a ton to pretend like we are farmers we are NOT looking at a new tractor.

I am currently looking at 1960-1970s era tractors around the size of the John Deere 2630, 3020, or 4020 although I am not brand loyal these just are common around me.

These will sit bare between 6000 and 8000 lbs plus loader were looking at 7000-9000 lb plus or minus a few hundred.

I have a PJ equipment trailer that weighs around 2000 lbs.

on the top end I am confident I would be over my ratings.

My truck is a 2011 ecoboost xlt with the tow package and 3.55 gears. I have electric trailer brake controls, timben SES on the rear axle, E-range bfg ko-2 tires, and an anderson no sway hitch I also have replaced my factory brakes with a larger aftermarket boshe setup. i believe that i am rated at either 9700 or 10300 lb from the factory. Of course If I got it i could always have my dad follow me with a smaller trailer and just take the loader off of the tractor to save 1300 lbs.

Once I got the tractor to the farm I seldom would need to trailer it more than 50-60 miles and am more than happy to be "that guy" driving in the slow lane.

I used to work in masonry and am used to driving with trailers up to 16,000lb albeit behind larger trucks. I have towed around 10,000lb before with this truck and it handled it with ease, i had a monitor running and everything looked good. I just want to know If this is TOO much.

Do I need to try to find a lighter tractor that will still fit my needs or is it reasonable to think that shopping no more than 300 miles away on a well maintained truck and trailer properly secured I would be ok with an 11,000 lb trailer (up to 1300 over rating)?

If its a bad idea I will re-evaluate I just want to know y'alls thoughts

Heres the picture of the tractor the tenant is currently using for tillage 19,000lb (aka would probably break my truck) and my dad, trailer, and truck.

IMG_0404.jpeg
IMG_7694-1.jpeg

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
That's a big tractor!

·
Registered
578 Posts
According to tractordata.com, a JD 4020 is anywhere from 8225-9560 lbs. Once you figure in any more wheel weights and any attachments, I'd think you're well into pushing the limits, but would probably be OK for an occasional tow with good trailer brakes. (I'm assuming those are 7K axles on your PJ)

I spent many hours on a '68 4020 with Power Shift in my younger years. Thanks for bringing back the memories. :)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Any chance to borrow a 3/4 or 1-ton truck from a friend for a day?

I've got a couple of buddies with 1 ton trucks and we're all comfortable loaning each other just about anything because we know how well we take care of our stuff. I never did get one of them to let me have his 1,400 hp GT500 for a few days though. Punk.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to tractordata.com, a JD 4020 is anywhere from 8225-9560 lbs. Once you figure in any more wheel weights and any attachments, I'd think you're well into pushing the limits, but would probably be OK for an occasional tow with good trailer brakes. (I'm assuming those are 7K axles on your PJ)

I spent many hours on a '68 4020 with Power Shift in my younger years. Thanks for bringing back the memories. :)
That was kind of my theory, it's definately on the bigger end of what I'd want to tow. I guess I could take a closer look at like a 3020 or 2630 but I have just never read anything negative about the 4020! I doo have good brakes and it would be on flat ground bringing it from somewhere in the great plains.
@Chris H I could get one of the work trucks from my former boss but depending on how far away it is I'm afraid that would be a lot of miles to ask. And thats just mean teasing you with a beast of a car like that!

Ooh well, this would still be a while off if the decision is to buy one at all I just am trying to decide what would be a good tractor to propose to my father

·
Registered
578 Posts
Keep an eye on the auction listings, lots of farmers retiring around here these days...

·
Registered
975 Posts
What is the weight rating on the trailer you are going to use to put a #9000 tractor on it? If it's the one in your pic with the hay on it, I don't think that's enough trailer much less what your truck can haul.. Most farms I've seen always have a dual axle 8 lug trailers and an 8 lug trucks... ;)

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I bought the trailer used but based on PJs website I believe it has 7k axles but it may be 6k axles but I am toying with using an old construction trailer a friend of mine has that has 7k axles and would be more up to the task

Edit: I feel like i made it sound like I was dead set on something the size of a 4020. I am not, if I need to downsize what I am thinking to stay safe thats fine, I'd rather have to make an extra pass with a smaller mower than plow into some poor person on the highway because of a failure of some sort

·
Registered
69 Posts
A 4020 will be too much to tow with an F 150, it would do it but it is not a sane thing to do, but if you insist I would not put a 4020 on anything smaller than a trailer rated for 14000 lbs.
Everything about the 4020 except the horsepower can be had on a smaller 2020, built practically the same but a smaller engine the 2020 will handle food plot, property maintenance and mowing just fine and be able to be trailered by an F 150 on a 10,000 lbs trailer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
A 4020 will be too much to tow with an F 150, it would do it but it is not a sane thing to do, but if you insist I would not put a 4020 on anything smaller than a trailer rated for 14000 lbs.
Everything about the 4020 except the horsepower can be had on a smaller 2020, built practically the same but a smaller engine the 2020 will handle food plot, property maintenance and mowing just fine and be able to be trailered by an F 150 on a 10,000 lbs trailer.
One advantage OP has is that there aren't many hills in Kansas like that leading from the river up to the court house in Chester. :)

Some other options are the AC 180 or 190, coming in somewhere around the 6500-7700 lb range...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for just straight saying this, I pretty well knew that was the reality of things but I needed to hear someone else tell me I'm crazy. I think perhaps a 2630 would be better for what were looking at. I'm worried the 2020 doesn't have the horsepower to lug around a 15' rotary mower all day without really straining it? thoughts?
@MMCdude I actually have looked around for the AC 180/190s but i have hardly found any in decent condition anywhere near me! but you're definitely right there are no hills around me lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If someone sells you a tractor then they very likely have a means of hauling it. So you could negotiate for delivery.

Not it sure about your need to haul it around once it is on your property but it might be time to rethink the F150.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I still see some 180's for sale around here every now and then, the 190's seem to be getting harder to find.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If someone sells you a tractor then they very likely have a means of hauling it. So you could negotiate for delivery.

Not it sure about your need to haul it around once it is on your property but it might be time to rethink the F150.
That is a very fair point, depending on distance it could work. Once its on property it won't leave very often but the ability to take it to get maintenance thats beyond my capabilities or to help at friends farms farther than I want to drive with a tractor.

I am currently still in college and hope to hang onto my current truck as long as possible but I will be graduating in less than six months and starting full time work. My next truck will likely be either a 3/4 ton or 1 ton srw (very close in price surprisingly enough) but not for a while at least.
@MMCdude I found one around here but it was in real rough shape for the price.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I"m not sure about what part of Kansas you're in but I remember the state being dry enough that grass was not super thick and I think a 2020 could handle a job with a 15' batwing, albeit slow, but drop down to a 10' and you're ready to rock and roll. While I love the look of the AC 180, have spent many hours on one and have me eye on one (for sentimental reasons) I wouldn't want one for utility tasks that are in small areas. Now the 100 acre property you're talking about it would handle tillage, mowing and whatever else on that just fine. I sure wouldn't think a 180 or 190 would be much lighter than a 4020 John Deere, on second thought if I had no hills to contend with and mostly two lane Kansas dirt roads I'd lug a 4020 through Kansas with an F 150, but with a trailer more than heavy enough.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One advantage OP has is that there aren't many hills in Kansas like that leading from the river up to the court house in Chester. :)
That hill ain't no joke, but I can honestly say I have never lugged a trailer up that hill, typically if I'm pulling a trailer through Chester I take the truck bypass and luckily every time I have towed through Chester that road has been open. But that Chester hill ain't the only steep one down this way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you first need to figure out what kind of tractor is going to fit your needs. Are you cutting hay to bale? Are you just keeping the grass cut down? Do you need a front end loader. Are you going to be using a big round baler with the tractor or just feeding round bales?

A 15 foot batwing rotary cutter is one heavy beast, and they're very expensive. Used 70-85 horsepower tractors also pull really big prices on the used market due to their long life (being cast iron, etc.)

Many can get by with acreage with a disc mower and a smaller tractor, like a Ford/NH 3930 or 4630. Disc mowers cut as fast as you can run the tractor--depending on the conditions of the property. They're incredible pieces of equipment. That size tractor can do so many different jobs, and that's why they remain such big sellers on the used market. Case C50's and C60's are comparable in size.

Like I say, it all comes down to what job you wish to accomplish.

·
Registered
578 Posts
@Bird1 I grew up outside of Steeleville, not many of those hills that I haven't travelled... :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the slow response this time my grandmother passed last week and things got crazy.

THank you all for the responses. I kind of figured the 4020 was too big and was confirmed when I measured the widths of pretty much every trailer I have access too (should have done that earlier I know (I never claim to be smart) and its too wide/ heavy. I have decided to shy away from the 4020 just from a size and weight perspective. I am looking at AC, IH, and JD tractors between about 50 and 80 horsepower now.

Ive found a couple of all of them around.

Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
9 Participants
snakebitten
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing