F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know John Deere tractors well so I don't know what that third stick is but my unlce has had a 2020 for the last 30 years and that gas engine is very reliable, strong and the whole tractor is built very very well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks guys those both look great!! And thats good to know, my gut says to go with a gas engine so I dont have to get a spare diesel tank sitting around too and for cold starts in the winter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gas? Nobody uses gas tractors any longer. Perhaps you need to find a good tractor dealership and befriend the owner. You need good advice.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Gas? Nobody uses gas tractors any longer. Perhaps you need to find a good tractor dealership and befriend the owner. You need good advice.
You haven't experienced many midwest/plains winters, have you?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You haven't experienced many midwest/plains winters, have you?
My experience is that if is that cold most people aren't getting on open station tractors to play, maybe to feed cows or plow out snow drifts, but not to play.
That being said in all my time where I am in Illinois which is as far north as most of Kansas, I haven't found a my diesel tractor to not start in the 14 years I've owned it. The secret is a good battery and good fuel, I don't have a block heater on mine and I won't use ether in it.
But last year it was bitter cold, I had to have the tractor, for 5 days it had been in the barn and the temp hadn't topped 20. To start it did require hooking my truck to it via jumper cables and to help I stuck a heat gun in the air intake. I needed it to move a round bale out for the horses.

I would still much rather deal with that cold issue than to have to deal with finicky carbs on gas tractors.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not here, that old gas IH 544 was always easier to start and ran smoother down in the 0-20 degree range than any of the diesels. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I realize not many use gas tractors anymore. I am mearly looking at them because for what I am using it for seems like it would be more prudent. Diesel a lot of times is preferable but in the age range and i am looking at it is an extra expense upfront that I dont really need. Plus needing to get a diesel tank that is only for the tractor sounds like a PIA. Being able to just get a transfer tank for my truck that I can then use to fill the truck, boat, tractor, etc just seems more beneficial.

That being said if a good deal comes up on a diesel I am not gonna stick my nose up at it

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I realize not many use gas tractors anymore. I am mearly looking at them because for what I am using it for seems like it would be more prudent. Diesel a lot of times is preferable but in the age range and i am looking at it is an extra expense upfront that I dont really need. Plus needing to get a diesel tank that is only for the tractor sounds like a PIA. Being able to just get a transfer tank for my truck that I can then use to fill the truck, boat, tractor, etc just seems more beneficial.

That being said if a good deal comes up on a diesel I am not gonna stick my nose up at it

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
Tractor Debate!

On the Ecoboost forum, no less. I don't have to leave and login to my other .net!

Carry on gentlemen.

(I'm far from a tractor expert, but oh how I love those days that I get to climb aboard and act like I'm doing important stuff. My brother wants to be like me when he grows up, so he got in the photo too)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Tractor Debate!

On the Ecoboost forum, no less. I don't have to leave and login to my other .net!

Carry on gentlemen.

Thats a nice lookin tractor! what are you moving with the bucket?

(I'm far from a tractor expert, but oh how I love those days that I get to climb aboard and act like I'm doing important stuff. My brother wants to be like me when he grows up, so he got in the photo too)

Nice looking tractor, what is that youre moving?

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
Honestly I can't remember. That's probably 8-10 years ago based on the lack of gray hair on my face.

I vaguely remember clearing the area that was to be my brother's Barndaminium. There was a junk pile and I think that was some kind of rebar contraption someone dreamed up.

The real job of that New Holland is to keep the road drivable for the family cars. During the rainy season it gets pretty beat up from the trucks and kids playing on atv's. Trucks don't mind the puddles and trenches, but them little cars start scraping their vitals. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
@snakebitten you seem to have all the toys lol

I'm picturing my sister trying to get her focus damn near anywhere now

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
@snakebitten you seem to have all the toys lol

I'm picturing my sister trying to get her focus damn near anywhere now
After 60+ years of "accumulation", it might look that way.

A Ford Focus would be a good measuring stick. But it's worse than that. My sister has a Cmax and I have that little Mazdarati. So their ground clearance is the alarm system for "dad, you need to fix the road".

I act like it's a burden and then hide my grin and climb up in the seat. Got a couple of the grandkids that will see me make a pass and they come running to ride with Pawpaw.

Like I said, tractor time is therapy for this old geezer. Amazing how much fun you can have at 3mph. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
After 60+ years of "accumulation", it might look that way.

A Ford Focus would be a good measuring stick. But it's worse than that. My sister has a Cmax and I have that little Mazdarati. So their ground clearance is the alarm system for "dad, you need to fix the road".

I act like it's a burden and then hide my grin and climb up in the seat. Got a couple of the grandkids that will see me make a pass and they come running to ride with Pawpaw.

Like I said, tractor time is therapy for this old geezer. Amazing how much fun you can have at 3mph. :)

Haha that sounds super nice!

I just turned 21 so Ive got a lot of accumulating to go!

Going slow is the most fun, one of my favorite memeories was taking a JLG snorkel down a city road to get diesel because the boss man forgot to bring tanks! I got some weird looks driving that around lol

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
21?

Patience grasshopper!

Man, if I could give ANY advice, it would be:

Only the stuff that REALLY matters, matters.
And the list is WAY shorter than you might think. I mean super short. :)

If you can get there, everything else just starts finding its place. And the world actually becomes quite tolerable after all. Lol

In fact, life can be grand. (with or without a tractor) <sly grin>

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for the advice, college for all the jokes one can make of it has really helped me grow up and understand things that matter. Ive lost two grandparents since I've started but I've also met some amazing people and seen some amazing things.

It's nice to see people that kind of represent (at least to me) making it with family and all that

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
You just mentioned "grand parents" and "family"

That comes really close to filling up that short list I espoused.

I predict you're going to do just fine. :)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
9 Participants
snakebitten
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing