F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Moderstrator
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little household battery drills can handle most jobs, but I really feel like I would benefit from a better quality and strong impact wrench, battery operated.
I saw the recent sit on a Milwaukee 18v impact and did some research on that unit today.
Who has an impact that they really like?
What about the Harbor Freight brands?
What about family tool sets that share battery systems?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,730 Posts
You definitely get what you pay for.
It's similar to technology ecosystems though in that if you pick different brands for different tools you might end up some day with 4 brands of chargers/batteries? Lol

The good news is that most of these kinds of products are at least good. My personal quandary is I find one brand more appealing for yard and outdoor products, but another for shop tools. And yet another for Carpenter/cutting tools.

Yea, lots of chargers and batteries. :)

·
Moderstrator
4,352 Posts
I have Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Craftsman. The Milwaukee and DeWalt certainly have more torque than most jobs require when talking about a 1/2" impact.

I know what you're thinking, what's Craftsman doing in the mix? It is the one I reach for most often simply because it weighs about 1/3 less than either of the other two brands and has enough torque for 90% of the stuff I need to do.

I will say that I really, really like my Milwaukee ratchets 1/4" and 3/8" the batteries last a good while. For impact drills, I'd have to say my DeWalt's are the king there. I have both the long barrel and short barrel in 1/2" hammer drills.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use the Milwaukee M12 stuff at work and love it. Stubby M12 3/8 impact, drill, 1/4 hex screw gun, and the soldering iron is amazing. I have a few of the M18 stuff at home because of the truck tires for doing rotations and what not(1/2 mid torque). Drill and a impact driver also. It has all been really good.
I use to have some Mac tools stuff which is just rebranded Dewalt at work for a impact driver and drill and ended up not liking it much. To me the Milwaukee has been better overall and more functional. Ill probability be getting a M12 ratchet soon even though my air stuff still works ok. Also the fact that my charger at home at least will charge the m18 and m12 batteries on one charger. one battery family too. To expensive in batteries to not do one family.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My little household battery drills can handle most jobs, but I really feel like I would benefit from a better quality and strong impact wrench, battery operated.
I saw the recent sit on a Milwaukee 18v impact and did some research on that unit today.
Who has an impact that they really like?
What about the Harbor Freight brands?
What about family tool sets that share battery systems?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
I use Rigid and Dewalt and am quite happy with both. Batteries hold up well too and you can get a 1/2 inch drill with the kit.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The Milwaukee brand was recommended to me so that's what I went with. I have some older Craftsman cordless stuff that still works. Now I need to work on a bigger charging shelf which requires thought....Mongo no think good....

I had an earlier HF cordless drill/driver that worked once. Once.

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
525 Posts
Milwaukee guy here, needed for work. It’s pricey yes but they have the most vast cordless tool platforms.

I own at work
M18 5 inch angle grinder, 3/4 high torque impact wrench, 1/2 inch high torque impact wrench, 3/8 impact wrench, brushless drill, led light and radio.

M12
1/4 screwdriver and impact, 2 3/8 ratchets, a 3/8 extended reach ratchet, 3/8 stubby impact, led stick light and 90 degree die grinder.

At home I have a heated sweater, oscillating tool, chainsaw, sawsall, 1/4 impact, drill, weed wacker and blower.

if you want to spend the money imo Milwaukee has the most expansive lineup with quality products. The fuel line up is king. You get what you pay for with this stuff. 5 year warranty is super nice as well.

·
Registered
2018 F-150 XLT SCAB 4x4 3.55:1
421 Posts
Have used it once, no regrets. Search for ASIN B09HW3MSV4 at Amazon. Currently $222 including (2) 5Ah Dewalt batteries which are $180 by themselves.

Its small and it is powerful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought the stubby cheaper Makita 1/2” impact gun a few months ago. I don’t remember what I paid for it but it’s definitely a lot more expensive now at $157 on Amazon. Anyway it’s strong enough to break the lug nuts loose on my truck and that’s like 150 lb/ft which is good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I have always used DeWalt. Their quality isn't quite what it used to be, but for fast charging, ease of use and features I really like mine. I use a drill/driver combo, so not quite an impact driver but it certainly has enough torque to whip your arm pretty bad. I can't imagine how much torque their 20v dedicated Impact drivers have. Mine is only 18v and it's plenty for my needs.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
I use Milwaukee 12v and 18v stuff. I have probably 40 or so tools from them and no issues with anything.

I have the stubby, mid torque and high torque Impacts and they all have their place. Probably use the mid torque one 90% of the time though.

Once you have the batteries, I don’t know if anyone else truly competes with the variety in tools that Milwaukee has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderstrator
4,352 Posts
Here's a thought and what I did for my son and son-in-law. The most expensive part of any cordless tool is the battery. Home Depot's, Ridgid line of cordless tools carries a lifetime warranty on the batteries if the tool is registered within a certain time frame. I'm not going to go out on a limb and tell anyone that they are the best tool on the market, I really haven't done a heads-up comparison. That said, if you aren't making a living with it, it might be worth a look.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
this, I have used dewalt for work for almost 20 yrs. they have gotten smaller and lighter. pending what im doing batteries will last about 2 days before charging.

A few yrs ago another company gave us Milwaukee impact. I was like are you kidding (fig company went cheap) too my surprisement same kind of work these batteries lasted like 4 days before a charge.

built both are good, I cant say how mil. will hold up to being dropped about 10ft but dewalt will hold up.

oh battery replacement dont get the generic for dewalt they are crap and break easy

·
Moderstrator
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great feedback, advice and comments so far - thanks!

I was wondering about those Harbor Freight brands - I’m guessing no one is using them?

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
525 Posts

I was wondering about those Harbor Freight brands - I’m guessing no one is using them?
I’d spend the money on a known brand vs harbour freight because it will be easier find batteries later on down the road…..

·
Moderstrator
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,572 Posts

I know a couple guys that have I think it’s called the earthquake impact from Harbor freight, my one friend for sure has had his for at least five years and no issues, not sure how long the other guy has had his but it’s been a couple years at least and same deal.
Kind of ironic I was just talking to the one guy about his yesterday, the one who’s had his for five years.

with that being said I’m kind of a Milwaukee guy myself

• Helpful
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I guess I'm the odd ball here.
I've been in the Porta Cable line for a line time. I have pretty much all of their 20v tools. But it's a dying brand, no one is really carrying them anymore, and I don't expect them to be offering any new tools. Recently I've had several batteries go bad and my 1/2" impact won't even take off my lug nuts.
So as of 2 weeks ago I was in the market to buy a new 1/2" impact. I'm a home DIYer so I feel the cost of Milwaukee and Dewalt is a little high for my situation. The test was going to be how can I get the best deal on a 1/2" impact in a new tool line. I wanted a line with a lot of variety and uses.
I looked at harbor freight and it was going to be $250+ for the tool, 1 battery, and charger. This would mean I'd be without an impact if the battery was low and I'd have to wait to charge it.
And their impacts are only rated for 450fl-lbs of torque.
Well being the oddball I ended up in the Ryobi line. They currently have a KILLA deal. You get 3 batteries, a charger, and the 1/2" impact with 600ft/lbs of breaking torque for $200. They have a gigantic tool line and using sites like Direct Tools you can get new tools at a really good price.
Some people will knock it but it gets the job done for me.
I've already ordered the router, Fan, and DA sander in the Ryobi line.

Oh and 1 last thing. I was in Home Depot the other day and the Milwaukee rep was stocking and organizing the Ryobi stuff. I jokingly said he was sabotaging the competition. Come to find out the same company owns Milwaukee, Rigid, and Ryobi. They are all built in the same place.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts