F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I’d spend the money on a known brand vs harbour freight because it will be easier find batteries later on down the road…..
I consider Harbor Freight "throw away" tools. I typically buy them for one-time use projects or where I know I am likely to break a tool. Some things there are a good value, I have a stick welder that has held up reasonably well, Jack stands, grinders, sandpaper, etc. I haven't bought any of their cordless tools.

When I "drive" I like to drive a Cadillac, not a Yugo. The comment about batteries is important. Doesn't matter how good the driver is, if the batteries are junk, you'll never want to use it or always be frustrated because you'll feel that you should have just bought the corded variety. The charge time, run time, and longevity of the battery is really critical to cordless stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
My little household battery drills can handle most jobs, but I really feel like I would benefit from a better quality and strong impact wrench, battery operated.
I saw the recent sit on a Milwaukee 18v impact and did some research on that unit today.
Who has an impact that they really like?
What about the Harbor Freight brands?
What about family tool sets that share battery systems?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
I was looking at them just last night on Amazon. I found a Milwaukee 3/8" drive impact with 4 torque settings. I think around $200. Just the tool. No charger or batteries, but I already have those.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts

·
Moderstrator
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
That 3/8" says has up to 500 pounds torque on the highest setting.

·
Moderstrator
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I’m not yet settled on a size but leaning towards 3/8”. There are a lot of the 3/8” that say they have enough torque, I think, for doing the type of maintenance I do. Which may include removing wheels, rotating them, shock and sway bar R&R, getting the stubborn nut off behind the front bumper, etc.
Plus I’m liking some of the compact sizes I’m seeing.
Just not liking the total cost to get tool + batteries + charger. I may just stick with my breaker bars and 26 year old ratchet set.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,569 Posts
Well I guess I'm the odd ball here.
I've been in the Porta Cable line for a line time. I have pretty much all of their 20v tools. But it's a dying brand, no one is really carrying them anymore, and I don't expect them to be offering any new tools. Recently I've had several batteries go bad and my 1/2" impact won't even take off my lug nuts.
So as of 2 weeks ago I was in the market to buy a new 1/2" impact. I'm a home DIYer so I feel the cost of Milwaukee and Dewalt is a little high for my situation. The test was going to be how can I get the best deal on a 1/2" impact in a new tool line. I wanted a line with a lot of variety and uses.
I looked at harbor freight and it was going to be $250+ for the tool, 1 battery, and charger. This would mean I'd be without an impact if the battery was low and I'd have to wait to charge it.
And their impacts are only rated for 450fl-lbs of torque.
Well being the oddball I ended up in the Ryobi line. They currently have a KILLA deal. You get 3 batteries, a charger, and the 1/2" impact with 600ft/lbs of breaking torque for $200. They have a gigantic tool line and using sites like Direct Tools you can get new tools at a really good price.
Some people will knock it but it gets the job done for me.
I've already ordered the router, Fan, and DA sander in the Ryobi line.

Oh and 1 last thing. I was in Home Depot the other day and the Milwaukee rep was stocking and organizing the Ryobi stuff. I jokingly said he was sabotaging the competition. Come to find out the same company owns Milwaukee, Rigid, and Ryobi. They are all built in the same place.
That's a heck of a deal, while I'd like to have all the same batteries/chargers using all Milwaukee that deal may be too good to pass up for the ryobi. Where was that deal at?

Edit,
Nevermind i found it

·
Moderstrator
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Ryobi set from Home Depot. $199 was a hard deal to pass up.
Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
519 Posts
In case anyone was wondering most tool brands are made under an umbrella company. This Ryobi looks like a Milwaukee with different batteries…. That’s a really good buy imo.
Product Font Rectangle Parallel Logo

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Wow if I didn't have all the Milwaukee stuff ...

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
The new Ridgid 1300 ft-lb impact I got a few months ago is super nice. It has a 4 speed settings so you don't just incinerate any bolt/nut your are taking off. And its super smooth, way smoother than the old Ridgid impact I had.

The only downside is its a little big

·
Registered
66 Posts
The new Ridgid 1300 ft-lb impact I got a few months ago is super nice. It has a 4 speed settings so you don't just incinerate any bolt/nut your are taking off. And its super smooth, way smoother than the old Ridgid impact I had.

LOL, of course it's a little big......... 1300 ft-lbs of torque is no joke. I actually thought about getting that one because it was the same $200 price but it only came with 1 battery. and there's NO WAY I need 1300 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,569 Posts

Lol that will rip your mustache right off!
that is a beast of a battery operated impact

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
478 Posts
My day to day power tools are all Mikita and I’ve been rather impressed, coming from DeWalt (most of my work was carpentry-related before).

So much depends on the battery, and Makita offers very small and lightweight batteries and their smaller impact is lighter than all the others I tried at the big box store.

I prefer having 4 smaller batteries and their quick charger/battery conditioner. Makes a huge difference on a full day of use, like putting up fencing.

For a bigger impact I have a plug-in Hitachi. Heavy but it’s usually an ugga dugga here and there on mechanical work, never all day field work, so it’s all good. Also have a pneumatic IR 1/2” impact but haven’t needed it ever.

·
Registered
2019 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Screw
56 Posts
The milwakee 12v stubby impact wrenches are phenomenal. I have the 1/2 and 3/8 versions… will knock the 185 ftlb lug nuts off with ease.

these are pretty light weight in my opinion.
I have the 1/2" version and have ZERO issues taking off my truck's lug nuts. That is in my "travel bag" along with a fully charged battery and gloves in case I get a flat and have to change a tire on the side of a highway. Makes real quick work of everything.

Also, I have the screw gun, 3/8 ratchet, impact driver, hackzall and leave blower (drying the truck off after a car wash). They all do the job well and last.

I will say no matter what brand, always keep your batteries inside and out of the heat.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts